PDA

View Full Version : ill fitting front indicators

djinuk
10-07-2012, 12:33
Just a heads up.. genuine wings, with brand new indicators, ive fitted them, but i find they like to sag at the back, ive seen some r5s the same and others better.

theres like a lug at the back and also a bit that comes off the wing, an i missing somthing?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/another/IMG_4054.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/djinuk/another/IMG_4055.jpg

Bigfoot
10-07-2012, 12:38
Is it just me but the headlight looks a bit low compared to bonnet

Brigsy
10-07-2012, 13:25
To get them to fit correctly can be a nightmare, wedge a bit of rubber underneath

phase i 16 v turbo
10-07-2012, 13:48
Are they OE indicators and do they have all the lugs intact that push into the head light?

Bigfoot
10-07-2012, 13:57
They look put in place thats why I was going towards poor fitment of the headlight itself, it looks too low

djinuk
10-07-2012, 14:55
sorry its actually the bonnet thats dropped (still gota sort that, the headlights dont appear to have any adjustment as the holes are all like (m6) i think and fixed not slotted).

and im not so sure there oe bike, from cgb a while back, but they do have the underlight tabs in place.

a bit of rubber it may be, it takes little to no force to push them into the correct place.

JP Racing
10-07-2012, 16:37
Have you got the springs holding them in place :) they hook onto the indicator and you pull it up to a little ledge with a groove in on the head light :)

djinuk
10-07-2012, 17:04
I have but ill be honest i fitted them on the headlight surround, ill adjust it when i get chance and see if things improve :) thankyou.

Phoenix Autosport
10-07-2012, 21:36
definately looks like the headlight is sitting about 3mm to low comparing it with mine also by comparison the bottom of the headlight looks like its tilted outwards more than mine which will be making the rear edge of the indicator even lower and pulling the indicator forwards.

i think the best way would probably be to allign the bonnet with the wings and then have a play with the headlight allignment

jay28
10-07-2012, 22:19
I have the exact same issue with mine! Reckon it's due to cheapo indicators!!

djinuk
10-07-2012, 22:26
is there any adjustment in r5 headlights though, ? its of my understanding there just fixed.

Phoenix Autosport
10-07-2012, 22:46
on cars as old as these there will always be a bit of fettling needed, there has to be some mechanism for adjusting the beam, i will have a look in the trusty haynes when im at the workshop tomorrow

Jonny5
10-07-2012, 23:57
is there any adjustment in r5 headlights though, ? its of my understanding there just fixed.

There is a load adjuster on the top of the headlight, black twist knob then below that is a beam adjuster, metal end out of a plastic sleeve.

djinuk
11-07-2012, 11:59
yea the large black nob rotates the inner headlights to adjust the beam, but the actual headlight fixing points are just 4 m6 bolts.. just holes, no slots etc.

Flight666
11-07-2012, 18:52
Well I bought some new Lucas headlights the other month and I wasn`t 100% happy with the fitment of those I tapped out a 4mm nut m6 thread and screwed that on the headlight fixing thread first the fitted it onto the car worked a treat at re-aliging the light unit and pulling the indicators into a better position..:)

djinuk
11-07-2012, 19:01
Well I bought some new Lucas headlights the other month and I wasn`t 100% happy with the fitment of those I tapped out a 4mm nut m6 thread and screwed that on the headlight fixing thread first the fitted it onto the car worked a treat at re-aliging the light unit and pulling the indicators into a better position..:)

could you go into some more detail with the above post if possible, im struggling to work out exactly what you did.

edit , - ah re read, so you spaced out the bottom of the headlight some what by using a but on the thread, before the actual fixing nut.

Flight666
11-07-2012, 19:23
Hi yep thats it you`ve got it, it in my case it was the top that needed pushing out a bit so basically threaded the nuts onto the stud on the headlight prior to fitting it (it basically packs out the headlight from the bodywork fixing point) worked great could be worth a go..

Trevhib
12-07-2012, 10:12
The headlight looks fine to me. See how it joins with the grille perfectly.

If the indicator locating springs are not correctly positioned on the ledge that's purposefully designed into the back of the headlight, they will sag just like the one in the pic.

You know when they are properly in place, the spring is taught, you can just feel it's correct.

The other thing to ensure is that the two lugs on the top of the indicator are correctly inserted into the slits that are designed into the lower front edge of the headlight.

As long as the above two things are in place and the GTT has not had a front-end prang and OE wings, everything should be fine. There is never any requirement to alter the fitments of the headlight itself. They are fixed.