PDA

View Full Version : JP's little project

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 11:12
Well i decided a while ago to do a f7p conversion in my 5 :) I took the old 1.4 lump out and sold it to marky mark while i got on with the build. It has taken longer than i thought about 3 years so far lol. But on Friday i had it MOTed and it passed now its time to get it run in and then sent up to scoff to be tuned properly ;)

Here are a few photots of what it looked like before the engine swap

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 11:27
So after the engine came out I had to source all the bits for the rebuild and i set about it and spent a small fortune :) hopefully worth it.

After buying a few bits i change my mind from the cast manifold and brought a different one at a good price and need to modify the bulk head to allow it to fit with a good size turbo :scared: after buying the manifold i changed my mind from a t28 and decided to go bigger so had to modify the manifold as well as the bulk head.

Few early pics of the manifold and bulk head :) thanks to the skills of Ross (tnt Hammond) and tnt andy and an angle grinder :)

TNT ANDY
08-07-2012, 11:32
Keep it coming JP - this is a quality build my friend.:agree:

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 11:39
In the build i wanted to do something a little different so i went on to source a head off a megane 2.0ltr 16v and decided that i would change all the valves and have it worked on by a local company. At the same time as buying the head the bloke who sold it was selling up as he had done a 2.0ltr N/A conversion in his 5 and gave up before fitting it. So he had a few other goodies i also brought :) a OMP rollcage, MLS head gasket, 285 cams and some vernier pulleys

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 11:50
Andy I'm really tempted to drop a photo of the finished car to tempt people ;) so here are a few taken on friday :)

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 11:54
Will put more up in a bit :) got to keep the wife happy so the weekly shop it is lol :dearme:

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 16:27
Ok so after the head was done i decided to sort the bottom end out which i treated to some wossner pistons a lightened and balanced crank and a lightened and balanced clio 172 flywheel. The block itself was sent off to scholar engineering to be honed and cleaned and painted in a not so nice cherry red (thought it would be nice but not so) also brought a nice oil pump which was second hand but never been used :) So while the block was away i cleaned up the sump and cam cover to get sprayed which i did at home and it turned out ok :)

The head was all put together with the manifolds and turbo and looked like this to start with :)

Alastair
08-07-2012, 16:33
Interesting engine there mate - good thread:agree:

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 16:51
After wanting something a bit different i decided to get a inlet manifold made which took about 6 months to make it was due to a friend making it in his spare time so it held me up for a while :) but i think it was worth the wait. It can have the plenum changed so you can enlarge it if it needs it and the same with the runners too so it could be tuned more in the future :)

With the extra power i thought it would be a good idea to put some better brakes on. So I found some at a good price they too had been fitted taken off and not used think they are the 325mm hi specs. Also to help these work well the master cylinder was also replace for the golf one with a bit more capacity :) straight fit and the pedal is nice and stiff :coffee:

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 16:53
After the brakes i looked into suspension and decided on some Gaz coilovers with went straight on :) but when putting the wheels back on they rubbed on the springs so i had to space the wheels out 6mm each side and change to a stud conversion on the front :)

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 17:01
I got the Block back from scholar engineering and wasn't sure on the block colour but kept it anyway so on with the build it took a while to put it all together but i now had everything i needed :) well thats what i thought but it surprised the hell out of me how many things you forget about when doing the build. Eventual it was at a stage where i could drop the head on and see what it would look like :)

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 17:30
So the engine was not the only thing being upgraded i also wanted a different dash in it and didn't want random gauges all over the shop. My main concern was if you have temp gauges everywhere i would be constantly watching them instead of the road. So I looked into it and the etb digidash 2 fitted with everything i wanted set able limits to warn me if any temps where too high or oil pressure too low :)

I asked a friend over for some help and to my surprise oliver (Os8472 or ipswich as he is also known) turned out to be quite the electrician lol so he helped me wire it all in :)

http://www.etbinstruments.com/DD2_lite.htm

Not the best pictures but will try and get a better one soon ;)

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 17:56
So for the efi to run sweet i considered a few ecu's and came out with the best value for money and usability. I thought about the emerald setup as they are local but in the end i ended up investing in scoff and using the adaptronic ecu so a quick PM to scoff and one was winging its way to me :) well happy with the deal i got. Also all the relevant sensors and a loom where also acquired from the mad scientist ;) as the car is just outside got the better pic from earlier and one of a shiny ecu.

Coops
08-07-2012, 22:02
nice project mate :cool:

expected output? and whats it for, road/track/pod or a little bit of all ;)

JP Racing
08-07-2012, 22:24
Well it should crack the 300 bhp mark but want to sort the gearbox out as I have a jb3 on it at the mo ;) and its for a little of everything once fully done

Coops
08-07-2012, 22:37
top banana :cool:

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 16:43
So once the top and bottom end where built I thought i would join them together with a MLS gasket and an arp head stud kit :) Now the fun would begin with the engine being mated with the original Gearbox and a 6 paddle 215mm helix clutch and cover plate :) went together with no real problems. Dropped it in to the bay and bolted it up.

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 16:54
Once the engine was in place i called on the help of a friend to TIG me a nice new down pipe :) I made the down pipe up from some stainless steel bends I brought off ebay and tacked them together and he finished it off for me :) turned out nice :cool: Heat wrapped them just as it was so close to the master cylinder :)

Tutuur
15-07-2012, 16:54
Looking great mate!

However, i never knew arp did an head stud kit for the f7r?
Very curious how this will drive!

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 17:03
Once the downpipe was made I had a few friends round (handy andy and oli) to help find places for everything else to fit in the bay namely rads charge cooler pumps and pipe work :) a few pics of the pmt crew in action :) well i say action it could well have been taken just after a dominos and no one looks too keen ;)

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 17:06
It drives very nice at the moment ;) it has done 140 miles so far with no issues :) Also not sure on the arp stud set for the f7r too i ordered it from a company in greece and they sent me one out :) but i couldn't find any other places that did them so weatrher it was a speacial order im not sure. It did set me back close to £200 for them thou :)

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 17:20
Once the downpipe was on I sorted out some injectors a fuel rail and some nice shiny new pipe for the fuel lines :) I got a set of 560cc injectors off an evo had them cleaned and they fitted ok and so far they dont seem to be leaking :) the standard rail was modded to take a feed on one side and a return out the other and some fittings welded in place :) I used torques off ebay for all my fitting and they have been fantastic with fast delivery and good quality stuff :) I also put a fuel tank in the boot and mounted a bosch pump under the car in the original place with a filter infront and behind the pump. All was going well till I tightened the pump fittings on the standard bracket and ripped the rubber on the bracket :( so another quick call to torques and another pump bracket was on its way :) a nice shiny ally one which worked well. Not the best pics but you get the idea :)

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 17:35
With everything starting to come together nicely i decided to sort 2 rads out one for the chargecoolers and one for the engine cooling. The ones i found best fitted the car where off a golf and short enough to fit them side by side. To be cheeky too i could fit a 19 row oil cooler behind the charge cooler one so it got a little cooler air :) Then only thing i had to remove was the front cross member but I have replaced it with something else will take a photo when im near the car next :scared:

Tutuur
15-07-2012, 17:37
It did set me back close to £200 for them thou :)

Well i paid half of that for oe Renault ones so the studs aren't that badly priced!

Really love the intake manifold btw! What throttle body is it?

TNT ANDY
15-07-2012, 18:06
Great write up JP - Good to see the gang back at it.:agree::agree::agree:

JP Racing
15-07-2012, 22:22
It's just a universal throttle body off of eBay think it's 65mm internal works well :) also the inlet manifold was made by a friend. He made it to my spec it has cast alloy trumpets on the inside which you can change to alter the runner length and also the plenum can be changed too for bigger or smaller depending on what you want :)

Tutuur
16-07-2012, 08:07
Really love the idea you can fiddle with trumpet lengths and if mounting holes are same on both sides you'll be able to place the tb to the other side too:agree:

Do you happen to have some more detailed pics of it?

JP Racing
16-07-2012, 08:23
I did have will have a look for them :)

Tutuur
16-07-2012, 08:28
Thnx!

JP Racing
16-07-2012, 08:58
These are the only ones i could find but i will grab some more as soon as im near the car :) The photos with the thinner alloy where the throttle body sits was done first before i change my mind on the throttle body :) and if you look closely you can see the trumpets on the inside :)

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 08:38
The only thing left to do now was fit all the boost setup, including a pair of pace charge coolers which i had changed to take 63mm hoses, the exhaust system and the water hoses :cool: Charge coolers got sent off to be chopped about so they would fit where i wanted them and i had a look at a few hose companies on eBay to see if i could source everything i needed hose wise :) Mesured everything up and ordered everything i needed :) When the charge coolers came back i was ready to try and squeeze everything in the small 5 bay which in its self was quite hard. It took a while to figure out where everything had to go but finally everything fitted.

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 08:46
Still had lots of tidying of odds and sods to do just to make sure everything was ok oh and the exhaust too :) got on the phone to my welder friend and asked him to weld me up an exhaust. I managed to order the bits needed, cut them to length marked which order to weld them up in and hey presto this is what came out :) I decided on 2 boxes to help with the noise sounds quite nice but sits quite low which i need to look at :coffee:

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:02
Exhaust done, on to the bonnet, i had decided i wanted to put some bonnet pins in so got to work and a while later they were on and worked ok. Bumper and grill all on and i thought to myself i should really sort them out so got my hands on a std front bumper and grill to be sprayed and put on but have yet to do that so this is how it looks at the moment :) same with the rear bumper i want to replace that more to a standard looking one but will sort it winter time when i have more time :)

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:14
Everything in place and thought i would start her up with a rough map from scoff :) it turned over and fired :eek: but then promptly stalled. I got the laptop out had a quick look at the map changed a few bits and had another go it fired again and then promptly stalled D'oh. After talking to a few people and sending some PMs too I discovered i had set the fuel way too low and tried again :) it started and kept running with ok afrs on idle. Changed a few bits on the map and it seemed fine :smokin: Yep was well chuffed it was working even though my exhaust manifold was leaking :crap:.

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:17
When i had some free time I booked it in for its MOT and got to work on the manifold, nothing like having a deadline to work to. Got the turbo and manifold off had a look at the gasket that was fine thought to myself what else hadn't i checked so stuck it on a level surface and the mating flange wasn't 100% flat gutted :( took it to a local engineering place and a few hours later it was sorted so back on it went. MOT was the next day so fingers crossed it worked and ......................... nope still leaked. :mad: Next morning had to let the garage know it wasn't going to make the 9.00 MOT so stripped it down again and thought what else have i not done so thought i haven't pressure tested it, done that with a few pairs of nitrile gloves in the runners and hey presto it leaked where the t3 flange had been welded on. Another trip to the local engineer and dropped it off had it welded and picked it up. Put it back on all in time for lunch :smokin: Phoned the garage and managed to fit it in for a 3.30 MOT.

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:21
So a long story short (3 years in the making) it went and passed :) So now to the next chapter which is running in and then having it tuned :) I have done about 150 miles so far with nothing wrong no leaks no bangs or squeals so in my eyes it seems ok :cool: Now got a few bits left to do to get her where i want it but its ready at the moment to take to national day :) So if your coming and want to have a look or a chat i will be there :)

Tutuur
19-07-2012, 09:26
so it has MOT now?

very good progress! really love this build! bay is a bit tight though :p

you say you want to crack the 300 barrier but i'm sure with this specs it should be more than possible, maybe even to break 400 :D

Coops
19-07-2012, 09:37
excellent, looking forward to seeing it at Blyton :cool:

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:43
Yep all MOTed up, insured (thanks to sky insurance) and taxed :) been out in it a few times to make sure its ok. Went to see a friend the other day and his mate works at emerald and he came out for a quick drive to look at the map while i was driving and changed a few fueling bits too so it would be a bit safer :) Starts to pull at nice at around 3000 rpm but dont want to give it too much till it sees scoff for a final tune :)

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 09:48
Also its on adaptive fueling using set AFR's and a wideband lambda at the mo and seems to find its way quite nicely just a few tweeks are needed to the map which im doing today for it to run and drive fine. The adaptronic was a bit of a pain to set the sensors up but once running it works well :)

markey b
19-07-2012, 10:16
good to see the beast back :)

Tutuur
19-07-2012, 11:09
What turbo is on? Gt3071?

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 11:22
No nothing that speacial it's a T04e rebuilt with 360 degree bearings :) just wanted to see how it went with something that size before I spend lots of money on a better one :)

Tutuur
19-07-2012, 11:25
I have a gtx3076 chra for sale if u want to go big;)

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 12:12
Hmmmmmm sounds interesting :) what size AR housing does it have on the hot side :)

Tutuur
19-07-2012, 12:32
it hasn't any:laugh:

bought a gtx3071r and 3076r chra(compressor housing rollerbearing assy) as i could get some discount and couldn't decide which one to use...
hoewever i decided to use the 3071r as my power goals won't exceed it's limits:)

both brandnew btw

JP Racing
19-07-2012, 18:36
Yeah I looked it up and realised my mistake ;) pm coming your way :)

JP Racing
23-07-2012, 16:53
Just a little update I put the sensor in for the speedo today so going to go see TNT Andy in a bit so fingers crossed it will all be good for national day :)

JP Racing
10-08-2012, 18:24
Another quick update on the car i have now done the running in miles needed so time for an oil change and some nice new plugs and away we go to get it setup.

Also while i was at national day i noticed one of the french renault 11's had a cheeky little extra engine mount that i have copied a little :cooter: think it works well after i took it for a spin but will see if it works on the rollers :)

markey b
11-08-2012, 11:42
thats awesome!! :agree:

Tutuur
11-08-2012, 13:18
looking good mate! pretty curious on how the girl's going to do :D

JP Racing
13-08-2012, 12:03
Next step for the old girl :D I've been thinking along the lines of a little more power :) lol so I'm going to start collecting parts again
Thinking along the lines of a second set of injectors maybe some 350cc to go with the 560cc in there already so the smaller injectors do the work lower down and make if better for driving off boost :)
Uprated valve springs to get a bit more rpm's out of it and maybe more power too
An 02m gearbox conversion to handle the power (ready for next year or the year after :wasntme:)

Coops
13-08-2012, 14:36
how about just sticking it up pod as is to get a benchmark, get your arse to the September day mate, love to see it go up the strip, see if the JB3 can hack it!! :laugh: :D

JP Racing
13-08-2012, 17:04
Im just starting to collect bits and im going to run it as it is for the moment and then out it will come around winter time :) Hmmmm i would love to come to pod as its only an hour or so away but my wife is due our first baby soon and when i mentioned it the look was enough to say no :laugh: but i have a clutch problem with it at the mo, think its the release bearing and i think the box has already shat its self as its now not staying in 5th :scratch: so got a jc5 on its way and a new release bearing so if its done in time then i might be able to sneek up pod for a bit :D.

Tutuur
13-08-2012, 18:03
What clutch are you running?

JP Racing
13-08-2012, 19:04
It's a 6 paddle helix with a helix cover in 215mm :)

JP Racing
24-08-2012, 16:56
Ok so my jb3 didn't last long :laugh: it decided to chew it up and spit it out a few pics of some damage :) so i have decided to take the car off the road for a bit to do some more modding :) think i'm getting to the stage where i prefer fixing bits to driving it :)

JP Racing
24-08-2012, 16:59
So after an afternoon and evenings working on the car the engine has come out :wasntme:
after a quick look at the box i decided that if im going to run some good power i must upgrade the box too :)

JP Racing
24-08-2012, 17:11
So i decided on this a drw golf tdi 02m box :) ordered it on monday and its here already. Spoke to chris at efi parts and brought an adaptor plate too now going to order a nice flywheel from scoff soon too and a clutch to suit from spec. So next upgrades are to include

Gearbox conversion
New flywheel and clutch
Upgrade to some land rover V8 engine mounts
Second set of evo injectors putting in my manifold so putting it up to 1120cc :devil:
Cutting up my 2 pace chargecoolers and welding them together so less pipe work
Oh and I'm thinking about a bigger turbo but not sure what to use maybe a gtx3071r or an gtx3076r or do i stick with a journal bearing unit but a bit bigger hmmmm we will see :smokin:

So it will be off the road till after christmas to be ready for early next year :coffee:

Scoff
24-08-2012, 17:24
It's off the road already john :laugh: You must not have had a week's use out of it before you decided to upgrade again.

The DRW will be very tall for road use. 4th gear will be like top gear in your GTT gearbox, then you'll still have 5th and 6th to go.

Nottswoody
24-08-2012, 17:30
4th gear will be like top gear in your GTT gearbox, then you'll still have 5th and 6th to go.[/QUOTE]

:eek: :scared:

Scoff
24-08-2012, 17:32
I use the same final drive in mine, it'll do over 150mph in 4th with 24" tall tyres ! 6th is very nice for motorway cruising at low RPM but not much use otherwise.

Nottswoody
24-08-2012, 17:41
I use the same final drive in mine, it'll do over 150mph in 4th with 24" tall tyres ! 6th is very nice for motorway cruising at low RPM but not much use otherwise.

Oh only 150 :) in a 5.. Not for me thankyou I will leave that to you guys :worship:

HAndy
24-08-2012, 17:56
Oh only 150 :) in a 5.. Not for me thankyou I will leave that to you guys :worship:

try almost 180mph in a reliant kitten;)

and yes it was stable, a little quirky at about 130 ish then settled down after that, was noisy though:laugh::laugh:

showed a few cars up at spa a few months ago:smokin:

JP Racing
24-08-2012, 18:27
think 6th should be good for around 186mph @ 6800rpm lol just getting started ;)

Nottswoody
24-08-2012, 18:36
try almost 180mph in a reliant kitten;)

and yes it was stable, a little quirky at about 130 ish then settled down after that, was noisy though:laugh::laugh:

showed a few cars up at spa a few months ago:smokin:

Any video?

JP Racing
05-09-2012, 22:24
just a few more pictures of a few new parts

got the box apart and have removed the diff so it can have the steel rivets taken out and some nice arp bolts in it to hold it all together instead :) also got some nice new vw drive shafts ready to be cut up to make some new hybrid ones :laugh: seems a shame to cut them up but needs must :rolleyes: got the adaptor plate from scoff the other day (thanks Chris) also going to try and use a golf hydraulic clutch pedal with the box as it has a slave cylinder built in and put it in its own box in the car :crap: will see how that works but hopefully be ok.

JP Racing
05-09-2012, 22:33
Also got the 6 speed gear selector to fit in the car with some cables to suit :)

Got a new thermostat which is an 80c opening one to keep temps nice and warm as it was running a little too cold for my liking as the setup i had bypassed the stat a little and took a while to see good running temps :crap:

Then while im at it i have a choice of grills but think the phase 2 is the way to go. To match i also have a nice new bumper on the front and a good second hand one to repaint for the rear to bring the car back to a more O.E. look :smokin: so its moving quite quickly now as ive just ordered my flywheel and that will be about 4 or so weeks so just the clutch and starter motor and a few other bits to get it all finished. Should be back together before the new year.

Tutuur
06-09-2012, 12:50
Good to see some updates mate! Keep them coming :agree:

Coops
06-09-2012, 15:01
:smokin:

TNT ANDY
06-09-2012, 18:37
This is the tits - can't wait to see it all done and finished. I've yet to go out in a well set up F lump 5.

JP Racing
12-09-2012, 10:35
few more bits for the car got some injector bosses made ready to be welded on the manifold so i can run 8 injectors got my second set of evo 560cc injectors being tested and cleaned too so will be done soon :)

second fuel rail is away being modded at the moment so should be done this week

diff has had the rivets drilled out ready for some new arp bolts to hold it together

got a sachs 6 paddle clutch disc for the car just need a suitable cover to match :)

Oh and had a ptfe inlet gasket made to fit the f7r head :)

Tutuur
12-09-2012, 12:52
keep em coming mate:D will update my 9 thread soon too. has a few upgrades waiting:smokin:

HAndy
12-09-2012, 19:46
few more bits for the car got some injector bosses made ready to be welded on the manifold so i can run 8 injectors got my second set of evo 560cc injectors being tested and cleaned too so will be done soon :)

second fuel rail is away being modded at the moment so should be done this week

diff has had the rivets drilled out ready for some new arp bolts to hold it together

got a sachs 6 paddle clutch disc for the car just need a suitable cover to match :)

Oh and had a ptfe inlet gasket made to fit the f7r head :)

isn't handy good to you;)

Scoff
12-09-2012, 20:41
JP, make sure you drill out the rivets from the 1st/2nd gear selector fork and replace with 8.8 bolts, tack welded in place. :)

JP Racing
12-09-2012, 22:37
No problems Chris it's next to do once diff is sorted I'm going to clean everything and move it from one side of the case to the other and clean as I go to keep it all in order :)

JP Racing
12-09-2012, 22:39
isn't handy good to you;)

Thanks Andy for sourcing the injector bosses and drilling the diff rivets out ;) cheers buddy

Tutuur
20-09-2012, 13:33
any updates yet mate?

judging by the pictures the gearbox failure whas a driver induced one and not power...

JP Racing
20-09-2012, 19:22
Only up date is flywheel is all made and being picked up from scoffs on Sunday by TNT Andy :) cheers buddy I would be there but the wife is due in 2 weeks so don't want to be too far away :) so going to get all bits together and rebuild it in November :)

Yes gearbox had the nut on the shaft come loose so it didn't hold 5th gear in place too well :) but wanted the change as I'm planning on more boost and power and the clutch was on the limit so either spend lots on a twin plate or go for a vw box :) so went with the later :)

xenon
08-10-2012, 18:20
superb work to carry out!!
I was under the charm with RTOC DAYS :smokin:

JP Racing
03-11-2012, 18:29
ok a few updates to add just a few pics :) this is the latest arrival to my family :) he is sooo cool cant wait to teach him about cars :)

JP Racing
03-11-2012, 18:36
But on a more serious note i have now got my flywheel :)

JP Racing
03-11-2012, 18:39
Also is a exhaust and inlet temp sensor to fit

Got my second bank of evo injectors all cleaned and tested with the injector bosses tacked in place to see how well it fits looks good with the other rail on it too.

Last off i've had my chargecoolers changed so the ends have been chopped off my 2 pace chargecoolers and they have been both welded end to end ;) gets rid of all the restrictions of all the 90 degree bends

Just need a few more bits to start putting the vag box in will be done for around march next year ready for car season :)

Tony Walker
03-11-2012, 23:34
lol 8 injectors seems crazy to think my carb dribbles fuel through a 1.2mm hole.

TNT ANDY
04-11-2012, 16:34
ok a few updates to add just a few pics :) this is the latest arrival to my family :) he is sooo cool cant wait to teach him about cars :)

You show those to Handy and nom nom nom - Gone!

HAndy
04-11-2012, 18:54
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=14698&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1351967287 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=14698&d=1351967287)

its a giant green bosch injector!!! what cc is rated for:cooter::laugh::laugh:
all joking aside , glad to see your little boys doing well:)

better keep that chargecooler away from me ,might be tempted to try it for size;)

Tutuur
04-11-2012, 19:46
Lmao :laugh:

Good to see some progress mate! And good to see the little one is doing okay.

I look forward to some future upgrades!

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 12:58
Ok not updated this for a while so just seeing if I can put pictures on here from my phone :)
Finished my inlet and now have 8 injectors :D bit over kill but worked out cheaper than buying another set of fancy injectors when I have 2 sets of 560cc injectors laying around ;)

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:04
Can only seem to do one picture at a time to :crap: oh well

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:07
Got the conversion plate from scoff changed a little :) all bolt holes counter sunk and gearbox side bolts welded and grinded flat :) also had the centre hole enlarged too :) ready to fit now

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:11
Gearbox needed a clean :) so I took it apart and went for this

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:15
To this :D

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:20
Also cleaned the diff had the old rivets drilled and some arp bolts bolts put in to replace them.

JP Racing
18-02-2013, 13:26
Cleaned up all the gear sets and removed the selector folks ready to be modified :D the rivets in the selector folks are a known weak spot so think while its apart might drill them all out and put some bolts in there place :) so soon box will be done and back together ready to be fitted to the engine.

Tutuur
19-02-2013, 06:03
good progress mate! are you going to do something to the f/d too?

if you look in my articles there are a few calcs with different f/d's

JP Racing
19-02-2013, 09:47
Funny you ask :D I was looking at ratios just the other day and found this

http://vwtechnic.com/Technic/VWGearboxRatios.xls

Thinking the dwr box I have might be just a tad too tall and a final drive swap might be on the cards ;) just asking a friend at the moment to see what he has laying around.

JP Racing
02-03-2013, 19:25
just thought i hadnt got round to scanning this so here it is :)

Os8472
02-03-2013, 19:27
Yay just trying to show off now ;)

JP Racing
02-03-2013, 20:07
He he no :) it could do with the power a bit further down the rev range so a tweek to the timing should help :) hopefully get back up to scoffs with a few more mods and a vw box to crack the 500bhp ;) now that's just showing off

Tutuur
18-03-2013, 04:54
hi mate,

can you tell some more about what you did with the cam timing?

i'm reading into it atm and probably going to retard my intake cam to decrease overlap.

cheers!

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 10:34
My timing was set to standard timing marks but I have just got a dti gauge and timing wheel to check my timing properly :) I did check it once it went in first time but can't find where I wrote the info down. So will have more info soon

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 10:40
Just a little update I have had some time to drill out the rivets on the selector folks and tap them ready to be bolted up just need to cut the threads down and put a blob of weld to hold them in place :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/EFF90482-22A6-4A45-9623-19EF2F328898-563-000000FE13587592_zps7e2fea35.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/E7396C0F-5F0D-473F-A028-F5FF741592DF-563-000000FE0D6A920F_zps6cba2f44.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/6B46156B-B3F1-45BF-8001-F0E4689EA7E3-563-000000FDE51F2CCD_zps8555197d.jpg

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 10:43
Also have stripped my drive shafts and got them ready to send to scoff ready to be welded up just need to get the engine and box in to take a measurement now :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/11149FB2-09FD-4332-9F65-DB5FAD04F204-563-000000FE27E3081B_zps644abff3.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/69B07F57-48C5-48F4-B8E3-7294FB8DD12E-563-000000FE19E80DF3_zps10b25575.jpg

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 10:46
Would loke to thank Os8472 aka Ipswich for running through how photobucket works :D:laugh:

Tutuur
20-03-2013, 14:23
lol, good progress mate! so you have the f7p exhaust cam on standard marks and bp285 inlet cam on 0 mark?

i'm going to toy with original camshafts and the timing of them on my f7r turbo.

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 15:30
Yes tutuur just set to std marks :) will check them some time next week for accurate timing info :D

JP Racing
20-03-2013, 15:34
Just finished my selector folks :)

Cut the thread and grinded it down ready for welding

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/B172AC4C-5723-45F9-A19E-A3D0B4A8E3D0-1199-000001400BB7D380_zps30b2b880.jpg

Same with the others

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/F4FB71CF-C09C-4318-89CF-1C17F4713208-1199-000001401A6034D8_zpsbe7124e9.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/1C9E719B-1F3B-48D2-B78D-D8191EC208BD-1199-000001403B932F3D_zps6f37b94e.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/10BC2EF7-CEC9-4A9D-805E-C4D2FBFC7E34-1199-0000014042FC7A51_zps1f05ebed.jpg

Now ready to put the box back together tomorrow :)

Tutuur
20-03-2013, 17:04
pretty keen to see it take revs so well then! wouldn't advance the intake cam if i where you, great powerband how it is!

HAndy
20-03-2013, 17:35
This is the tits - can't wait to see it all done and finished. I've yet to go out in a well set up F lump 5.

get your rear over to emerald on friday you might get a ride out in oli's if the weather holds:)

great effort there jp, getting closer;)

ps dont throw away that speed sensor conector might need that:D

Os8472
20-03-2013, 17:58
get your rear over to emerald on friday you might get a ride out in oli's if the weather holds:)

D

And my engine lol

JP Racing
26-03-2013, 16:32
A little progress sprayed my adaptor plate and gearbox is all back together now :) think I will pressure wash the box and prep it to be sprayed and get ready to make some new engine mounts :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/ADC91041-476D-4D25-8036-44768E775B58-2506-000002483FBC3587_zps1f36d22c.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/B8C76473-8B14-4760-85B7-9150C317869C-2506-000002484FBAA41C_zps9a55be65.jpg

HAndy
26-03-2013, 19:04
please dont spray this one gold:chuckup::chuckup:;)

JP Racing
26-03-2013, 20:10
The last one wasn't gold it was red with a gold end :cooter:

Tony Walker
26-03-2013, 21:03
I've got a red end.

TNT ANDY
26-03-2013, 21:34
I've got a red end.

Literally lol

Tony Walker
26-03-2013, 21:40
polished till you can see her face in it.

JP Racing
26-03-2013, 21:53
That's shiny :D

Tony Walker
26-03-2013, 22:00
:D

Tutuur
27-03-2013, 05:14
where did you get those verniers from?

i've tried to search google but can'seemd to find any :crap:

looking good btw, why did you enlarge the middle hole? for the seal?
and what solution are you going to use for the tacho?

HAndy
27-03-2013, 06:18
where did you get those verniers from?

i've tried to search google but can'seemd to find any :crap:

looking good btw, why did you enlarge the middle hole? for the seal?
and what solution are you going to use for the tacho?

the verniers came of ebay, were being sold through a guy from greece i beleive, must have been almost 2 years ago:eek:, im 99% sure they are from proxide tuning;)

aftermaket tacho using magnets on drive shaft or abs ring on hub, unless the pick up is magnetic, which could use the original pick up sensor in the gearbox(picks up the 7x teeth on the diff ):)

TNT ANDY
27-03-2013, 06:31
the verniers came of ebay, were being sold through a guy from greece i beleive, must have been almost 2 years ago:eek:, im 99% sure they are from proxide tuning;)

aftermaket tacho using magnets on drive shaft or abs ring on hub, unless the pick up is magnetic, which could use the original pick up sensor in the gearbox(picks up the 7x teeth on the diff ):)

That's more teeth than Mel :laugh:

HAndy
27-03-2013, 06:46
That's more teeth than Mel :laugh:

well, legend has it people with no teeth give the best head:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tutuur
27-03-2013, 06:47
but how much teeth is the gtt ring? i'm looking into it as using the gearbox tacho would be the best solution imo.

was thinking of machining the diff and fit a ring with the same pattern as oe renault....

HAndy
27-03-2013, 06:48
anyway,back to topic;)

TNT ANDY
27-03-2013, 06:49
You'd know granny shagger:wasntme:

HAndy
27-03-2013, 06:54
but how much teeth is the gtt ring? i'm looking into it as using the gearbox tacho would be the best solution imo.

was thinking of machining the diff and fit a ring with the same pattern as oe renault....

dont know? never bothered to much with the jb/jc boxes:coffee:

as regards the diff, i would be more tempted to spend the money on a lsd , obx ,being the cheapest, or pelquin ;)

HAndy
27-03-2013, 06:57
could you not use 16v hub /abs ring set up to run the o.e speedo:)

this how i run my aftermarket type set up, seems to work ok for me;)

JP Racing
27-03-2013, 07:05
This is the dash board now it's a etb digidash 2 :) works really well and saves having gauges all over the place and I can set the warning limits too
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/64E3EE15-3334-4C1F-83B7-6B41F42A1949-2819-0000032519ABBE8A_zps3bc39bd2.jpg
It runs off 2 magnets glued to the drive shaft for pickup points :) home made bracket for the sensor :D
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/17DE2E05-216B-4560-BCBF-6A881CCB4318-2819-0000032561DF68EF_zps7815d503.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/11FF99AC-CC69-4798-9CB6-45DC771A708A-2819-000003257D9844F8_zps6e00ca24.jpg

Tutuur
27-03-2013, 10:03
already have a quaiffe unit :) keeping the gtt clocks so would love to use the gearbox drive.

your setup looks well too :agree:

James5
27-03-2013, 11:27
The GTT is 12 teeth, I am looking into this in the background also as I want to retain the gtt clocks

Tutuur
01-04-2013, 11:27
for what type of car did you buy the driveshafts mate?

Tutuur
05-04-2013, 16:06
please let me know mate

they look exactly as shafts i found on ebay (new s3 shafts for only 30 quid or so) but how does the thickness compare?

they look like they're thinner than oe items.

JP Racing
05-04-2013, 17:07
Sorry I see your post the other day and thought I had replied lol here you go

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130339372151&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=21309641363

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130417954072&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=21309641363

I think they were the ones ;)

Scoff
05-04-2013, 17:14
Here's a supercharged clio I put an 02m in last year, you can see how I welded teeth to the right hand drive flange. In the case of the clio it needs a hall sensor, I used a universal honeywell type, but in the case of the GTT you could either re-use the original speed sensor or any crank angle sensor should work also. :)

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/clio-02m-upgrade/

Tutuur
05-04-2013, 17:25
cheers mate, but do they fit inside/outside the clio sport driveshafts?

can't really dig anything out till i'm home but i want to start the conversion straight away.

thanks Chris, i've seen those pics. i was thinking of machining the diff to remove the current teeth and then have a ring made with 12 teeth and put it on that position.

although i'm not very confident of putting my brand new quaife in the lathe :laugh:
still wouldn't know if i could do anything with the 02m pickup but it has 2 wires right? indicating it's a vr type sensor also so could be able to work....

could put gtt clocks in my 9 so electrical speed sensing can be used.

edit: could aswell buy 2 of the longer shafts won't i? have to chop them anyway??

Scoff
05-04-2013, 18:47
I know you have Arthur, they were more for James :) You'll need to switch the VW hall sensor for a reluctor though so it works with the Renault clocks.

Tutuur
06-04-2013, 06:13
okay, thnx :)

i'll see what i do when i get back, have to check material thickness first before going to chop my quaife.

please let me know JP so i can order driveshafts or look further for oe ones :)

also what gearbox code do you have? i've been calculating alot as i want to do it right at once....

HAndy
06-04-2013, 09:32
okay, thnx :)

i'll see what i do when i get back, have to check material thickness first before going to chop my quaife.

please let me know JP so i can order driveshafts or look further for oe ones :)

also what gearbox code do you have? i've been calculating alot as i want to do it right at once....

drw is the code of the box ,im also running similar type (erf)

i thought the speed pick up sensor has three wires?

i used vw passat drive shafts on mine, cant remember the year though:scratch:
johns used golf drive shafts mk4-5 ? i would have thought any of the drive shafts will work,as long as they have the 108mm flange dia to mate up with the o2m output shaft flanges:)

the turbo 5,9,11,clio 16v, driveshafts should be fine to use,dare say the later models will be fine also, as long as they are the hollow type, rather than the solid centre (smaller diameter) type which were usally after market or on some of the base models:)

Tutuur
06-04-2013, 10:05
wow, those are pretty long geared because they're diesel gearboxes.
i have a passat 2006 gearbox for the final drives, but i'm not really sure to what gearing i want to pair it.

there are a few options though, i already have a tt quattro fmn gearbox with pretty good ratio's mated to the diesel final drive but the last 3 gears are pretty long (210, 260 & 315 km/h @ 7500rpm)

i know it won't hurt because when turbo'ed there's plenty of torque anyway but i could also use a err gearbox which has the same 1-3 but then 200, 245, 295km/h for the last 3 gears. which should be enough i think :D

about the driveshafts, i know all those shafts will work but it looks like the shafts JP bought off ebay are thinner. that's why i ask.

p.s if you look in my files there are a few of the said calculations...

edit: so they're the same outer diameter as clio sport shafts? would be easier cause i have tons of them! although i hope i won't shear the splines off as i did before.

JP Racing
06-04-2013, 11:26
Putting the drw box next to the 5 box on a gear ratio calculator it worked out that

In 1st at 1000rpm gtt box would be 6mph
In 1st at 1000rpm 02m box would be 6mph
In 1st at 7500rpm gtt 45mph
In 1st at 7500rpm 02m 42mph

2nd @1000rpm gtt 10mph
2nd @1000rpm 02m 10mph
2nd @7500rpm gtt 76 mph
2nd @7500rpm 02m 77 mph

3rd @1000rpm gtt 14mph
3rd @1000rpm 02m 16mph
3rd @7500rpm gtt 106mph
3rd @7500rpm 02m 120 mph

4th @1000rpm gtt 19mph
4th @1000rpm 02m 22mph
4th @7500rpm gtt 145mph
4th @7500rpm 02m 166mph

5th @1000rpm gtt 25mph
5th @1000rpm 02m 28mph
5th @1000rpm gtt 185mph
5th @1000rpm 02m 206mph

6th just going to use for motorway really ;)

That's on 205/40/17 tyres :) so my thoughts are its a little taller in 3rd and 4th but 1st and 2nd are just about the same.

If the box seems to tall for the car then a swap might be needed but at the mo I think I will try it :)

JP Racing
06-04-2013, 11:30
Drive shafts are mk4 golf jr shafts on eBay for around £30 delivered ;) I did put a link up on a previous post :)

Tutuur
06-04-2013, 12:34
i know mate, the question is if they are the same thickness as original shafts, i.e would they fit the cliosport or 16v shafts like oe shafts do?

sorry to ask so many question mate!

Tutuur
06-04-2013, 12:42
btw, i may have err gears for you in the future if the purchse goes through and i use the fmn gears instead (need the err for 2wd casing and flange).

would work out like this on your drw final drive (195/40/16 though):

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Arthur's%20files%20(Tutuur)/02m%20drw%20err.jpg

alot more sensible than your current gears :p

JP Racing
06-04-2013, 13:27
It makes sense drop me a pm with a price ;) they would make all the gears useable :) not got a clue what the oe shaft size is did you want me to put a caliper over to have a measure :)

Tutuur
06-04-2013, 16:17
well i have no idea what those measure at so it wouldn't help i think.

however maybe Scoff knows? the beauty is the oe shafts just slide over the Clio shafts making the joining fairly straight forward.

i want to do everything in 1 week when i get back so not a lot room for error.... (got to have it up and running before The Sangliers :D)

haven't got the gearbox yet and will be back in May so i'll contact you by the time :agree:

JP Racing
04-05-2013, 22:16
Just a quick update :) got some more bits done on the car over the last few weeks subframe is off car and being shot blasted and seam welded and powder coated. Also made my own engine mount for the front corner and going to make a start tomorrow at bolting up the box and making a few more mounts :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/3E28B9D2-2859-44A3-BA22-65C6A558BADF-1951-000002555E1A72D5_zps94af513e.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/92B00A79-7269-4B88-B0C9-879F843004E8-1951-000002552B06B304_zpsc9eb50d1.jpg

JP Racing
04-05-2013, 22:21
Got the gearbox painted up and the sub frame back from being shot blasted too :) next to have it welded :) oh and also sprayed my boot badges

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/9DB10FBF-5DBD-4C3E-B7D3-F6EEF62DFA33-1951-00000254EA16EA88_zpsf09e2796.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/4AFE0ECE-D0FB-477A-B4EF-47DE29240D66-1951-00000254F3B4090C_zpsc5ca648d.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/400B3C6D-660C-48FD-99E6-A531F7363638-1951-00000255142149B5_zps620627b0.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/64FF169F-3671-4941-A6C6-3C4C3AD9CBC0-1951-000002554F954002_zps44bf6bdf.jpg

TNT ANDY
05-05-2013, 07:22
every little helps JP:agree:

All's looking good there, won't be long now. have you an ETC on this now?

JP Racing
05-05-2013, 07:57
Hopefully the subframe will be all done by next weekend engine mounts made and engine ready to go in :) will have some piping up and other bits to get and make but end of may mid June at latest so ready for national day :)

TNT ANDY
05-05-2013, 08:10
Hopefully the subframe will be all done by next weekend engine mounts made and engine ready to go in :) will have some piping up and other bits to get and make but end of may mid June at latest so ready for national day :)

Brilliant fella, hope both you and handy get there.

GTphil
05-05-2013, 10:26
That paint job on the box is very smart, overall a really good thread and build, lots of attention to detail.:agree:

JP Racing
05-05-2013, 13:07
That paint job on the box is very smart, overall a really good thread and build, lots of attention to detail.:agree:

Thanks for that it was done in BMW sparkling graphite with a rattle can :D it has come out well :)

JP Racing
22-05-2013, 20:56
Little update its coming along slowly as I've been mental at work :( but all going well will be up and running again before national day :D

Few pictures of my subframe which had been shot blasted and seam welded and powder coated so its ready to go on the car now :D

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/6AE8B9DB-7618-405B-A31F-2AF4CACAC638-3504-00000336CD65B855_zpscad289d5.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/525C2F96-938A-48AE-9A94-16BD10795014-3504-00000336B0F03127_zpsb5ed2a8f.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/599C0641-1197-4596-B87F-4E72FEDACCDF-3504-000003369954F734_zps7c4ce90f.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/26191C32-210E-466A-A073-1237E670F27E-3504-00000336A0299882_zps1e4f7882.jpg

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-05-2013, 21:25
That's lush jonathan... ive had a moment...:agree::D

Os8472
22-05-2013, 21:37
Subframe looks great fella, all the welding should help no end :)

TNT ANDY
22-05-2013, 22:48
Outstanding as usual JP, now Chop chop - Should I break down on the way to national day this year, I want to be rescued by this please.

JP Racing
29-05-2013, 18:10
Another little update gear selector all in :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/4BF5DBA5-04D8-4AC4-A2E5-80EE3A68CF07-146-0000000236AFF123_zps853f18aa.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/83E8048E-4AE0-4FD4-A8ED-280E9B3342F5-146-000000023D844A93_zps56603a9f.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/2CE8828C-5186-4F28-974D-B643D0DF4F26-146-000000025BA6D702_zps0c92a0fa.jpg

JP Racing
29-05-2013, 18:15
Also got a second set of 560cc injectors all in place with new seals fits well hopefully will seal ok :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/27629CDF-F52C-47DF-AD88-CCE869E29462-146-0000000202E1E0F6_zps5189bb4e.jpg

Scoff has told me he will be finished with the drive shafts this week :) going to sort out the engine mounts tomorrow and hopefully be fitting the engine in a week or so. National day isn't far away now so hopefully pull my finger out and get it done ;)

JP Racing
29-05-2013, 18:17
That's lush jonathan... ive had a moment...:agree::D

Luckily for me the sub frame is wipe clean lol

TNT ANDY
29-05-2013, 19:08
Luckily for me the sub frame is wipe clean lol

:laugh: Good work Jp - keep it coming fella.

HAndy
29-05-2013, 21:21
looking really good mr jp:cool:

like the exhaust bracket also;)

you might even find your leather gaiter and surround will fit over the selector casing:)

JP Racing
29-05-2013, 21:29
Yes Andy it fits fine ;)

JP Racing
31-05-2013, 21:31
Quick update again I had a few hours to spare today so I got my gearbox on so I can now get on with making the new engine mounts :D

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/61D6CDB0-F9D5-456E-8539-3FCB08FAD4F1-609-0000003EE4E4CE9F_zps37b1a1bc.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/697AB79D-D3DD-48E3-8CB1-42CEDB5CB823-609-0000003EEE2F545C_zps6baa721b.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/70BACF95-B602-4A08-8BEA-A84ACA432C41-609-0000003ED8734B03_zps2317e55e.jpg

Tutuur
20-08-2013, 17:52
See the pics for the first time now, completely missed out!!

How's the car doing now mate?

Also, what is the outer diameter of those ebay vw shafts?

JP Racing
23-01-2014, 22:57
Ok so I decided to take a little time away from the car for christmas to spend more time with my family. I had fun but now just want my car back on the road so decided to make a start ready for this coming year.

First job was to refit my shiny new sub frame

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00241_zpsewkn84rg.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00241_zpsewkn84rg.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00240_zps7pfdaxzv.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00240_zps7pfdaxzv.jpg.html)

Seems to have gone in well next job fit the new O2M box to the block with my new flywheel and clutch.

Heres one i did earlier. Then started fitting it ;)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00281_zpswbkxg7pj.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00281_zpswbkxg7pj.jpg.html)

It went in really quite easy and only needed a few adjustments for it to sit well on the new engine mounts.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00286_zpsodc9doy8.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00286_zpsodc9doy8.jpg.html)

I got a bit carried away and have just checked that most bits fit where i want them to like the new long chargecooler that ive had made :) fits perfectly in place. Same with the second set of injectors on the manifold all seems to fit well. Dropped the turbo in place too to make sure its ok and it seems fine just need to spin the housing round to where it needs to be.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00296_zpsazwbnicg.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00296_zpsazwbnicg.jpg.html)

Just need a bit more time to sort a few other bits out then hopefully i can get everything refitted more to folliw soon ;)

Nad-5GTT
23-01-2014, 23:38
Just read the whole thread, you've done some excellent work and should be proud of the results, keep it up.

B18ftMOJO5
24-01-2014, 00:37
great project thread, great work looking forward to seeing the finished article now.;)

Tutuur
24-01-2014, 06:48
Finally some progress again, i was wondering where you were but glad to read you spent some quality time woth the family :agree:

You won't regret the 02m conversion! I've been hamering it to death but it doesn't give in! I've only torn one of my engine mounts apart so had remake it (the rear mount just completely ripped open).

Keep them updates coming!

JP Racing
24-01-2014, 07:08
Thanks for the comments lads if all goes well will be at a good few meets and shows this year and back up to scoff for some more power runs ;)

Hey tutuur :) glad to see the o2m is working well for you. What box code did you go for in the end was it a combo of petrol gearsets and the diesel final drive or just a straight box swap. Now hoping i can get it on the road for march ready for some shows this year ;) so just have to keep on it now.

w35ty
24-01-2014, 07:34
Looking good mate cant wait to see it all finished :) im saving throughout the year now to go vag over this winter.. dont wanna push this jc5 too much! Lol

Tutuur
24-01-2014, 07:49
Hi mate,

My box is a hybrid of 3 boxes...
02q jlu final drive (passat tdi)
02m dqb gears (audi tt)
Golf mk4 casing (because of 2wd)

I still have the mk4 gears for ya mate :D

JP Racing
24-01-2014, 08:19
How are you finding the ratios between gears i take it crusing in top gear is at lower rpms than a jb3 or jc5 ;)

Tutuur
24-01-2014, 08:51
Well tbh theory often seems different than practice, before the 02m i had a jc5-128 (dci 80) and the gears where pretty long but i liked it tbh...

6th gear now is 70mph 2750rpm

JP Racing
24-01-2014, 10:39
You also said you ripped the rear engine mount which mounts are you using? Ive gone for the same as turbo ted and run one at the front left as you look at the engine and one at the front right then one at the middle back and a second one on the gearbox passenger side at the back all the v8 landrover ones oh and a kangoo gearbox mount at the top on the strut brace too ;) hopefully hold ;)

Tutuur
24-01-2014, 11:28
I only have one at the rear on the original position. I have vibratechnics mounts but the metal piece i made has given in.

I'll upload some pics.

turbo ted
24-01-2014, 11:39
hi jon
great to see you got that vw o2m in your engine bay that gearbox mount looks familiar;)
I modified the rover v8 mounts I cut the studs off and drilled through the mounts and fitted a nut and bolt system through them as them mounts will just pull apart.
mine gearbox is a fqz gears with a drw final drive on the motorway is about the same as Arthur's 2500rpm 6th gear 70mph.
regards rob.

Tutuur
24-01-2014, 11:46
Here they are, this is how i had it at first:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/tutuur/versnellingsbak/C1F2D59E-4C23-41D2-BED0-B1F7596C3D81_zpsdxghh0yb.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/tutuur/media/versnellingsbak/C1F2D59E-4C23-41D2-BED0-B1F7596C3D81_zpsdxghh0yb.jpg.html)

With the thick meterial of the tube, reinforced with a diagonal i thought it would have been strong enough but it started to rip open from the bottom just next to the mounting on the engine.

I've now put another tube in the existing tube and made a 3 point which i think will be more than strong enough now:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/tutuur/versnellingsbak/3DA185ED-F419-4FBF-B8BD-E4F36A6D36FD_zpsr7dcvpsq.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/tutuur/media/versnellingsbak/3DA185ED-F419-4FBF-B8BD-E4F36A6D36FD_zpsr7dcvpsq.jpg.html)
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/tutuur/versnellingsbak/21A761AA-D89C-4D27-BAE6-69B03B87462E_zpsbsyg42ei.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/tutuur/media/versnellingsbak/21A761AA-D89C-4D27-BAE6-69B03B87462E_zpsbsyg42ei.jpg.html)

Coops
24-01-2014, 15:38
good progress Mr Jon, looking forward to the 500+ club?

JP Racing
24-01-2014, 15:46
Hey coops 500+ are big numbers but we will see what the turbo can do when it goes back to scoffs later this year :) hopefully wont run out of injectors this tine with 2 sets of 560cc injectors so thats 1120cc in total :D

JP Racing
11-02-2014, 22:09
Well just a little progress to report. The turbo is all bolted up and the down pipe is on to check the clearance is fine. All seems to fit ok. Also put the oil cooler back in place. Should get a little more time on the car later on this week to put the rads and charge cooler pre rad back in. Also need to order a few bits to finish off buy nothing major :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00332_zpsysa9cgiy.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00332_zpsysa9cgiy.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00333_zpsmbvkkyoj.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00333_zpsmbvkkyoj.jpg.html)

w35ty
12-02-2014, 10:48
Looking good mate! What you use for hoses ? The samco f7 kit or chop and joiners?

JP Racing
12-02-2014, 14:49
Think ive got the black ASH hoses off of ebay and use joiners ;) not the best to look at but i keep them hidden lol also for the coolant i might run the evans waterless coolant to see how that goes :) it sounds good stuff but quite expensive

w35ty
13-02-2014, 22:23
So just straights and bends or the kit like? just wondered as dunno wether to buy the kits and chop where needed or buy diff size hose straights and use joiners.. Also got my c1j samco kit still i can chop and use if needs be

JP Racing
13-02-2014, 23:59
To be fair i have custom made rads so just brought straights and bends and cut them to fit my set up. Like i say its not as nice as the kit would be to look at but for me it wouldnt fit for what i needed. If you are running the f7p with std rad then a kit might suit you better as it will look neater if it all fits fine.

w35ty
14-02-2014, 06:43
Yeah get what you mean mate :-)

My rads custom just over sized slightly and end tanks slightly bigger but the hose positions are the same still.. Think il get the kits and see what i can chop and make up

JP Racing
16-02-2014, 14:37
Got a few interior parts flocked and thinking of having some more done :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00363_zpsh97wunlz.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00363_zpsh97wunlz.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00360_zpsra5plzpk.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00360_zpsra5plzpk.jpg.html)

JP Racing
04-03-2014, 22:03
Just a little progress my screamer pipe has been sent away for welding should be done tomorrow night. My strut brace is being modded slightly and should also be done soon too. I also managed to get the car in my double garage to get the drive shafts in. All good until i moved the car and found my drive shaft bolts rub on my down pipe so going to have to take that off and have re done :( but the other side is fine :D

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00435_zps55drqc6c.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00435_zps55drqc6c.jpg.html)

Tutuur
04-03-2014, 22:31
Keep it going mate, ordered your ND tickets yet? :D

JP Racing
04-03-2014, 22:36
Not yet but I will this weekend :)

Tutuur
04-03-2014, 22:39
:agree::D

w35ty
05-03-2014, 11:08
All good mate keep it coming! cant wait to see it all done and on road..

JP Racing
18-03-2014, 22:08
Small update again my screamer pipe has been started and will be finished next week just wanted to make sure it fits in place :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00489_zpsaa2sr9fr.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00489_zpsaa2sr9fr.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00490_zps5kffgk46.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00490_zps5kffgk46.jpg.html)

Also sent my downpipe off to be welded as it needed adjusting and should be back soon ;)

I got round to fitting the clutch cylinder properly and made my clutch pedal up to suit. Once it was done i had a look in my cupboard for spray paint to finish it off and all i could find was a chrome style one :D it stays for now but will do it black at some time :)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00492_zpsxvlamlrw.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00492_zpsxvlamlrw.jpg.html)

B18ftMOJO5
18-03-2014, 22:13
thats awesome!! :agree:

X2. Your engine bay looks epic.:smokin:

JP Racing
18-03-2014, 22:16
Its a bit dusty at the moment but cant wait to finish it again :D

Tutuur
18-03-2014, 22:16
Did you try the clutch installed? What clutch cylinder do you have?

Comparing that pedal to mine you would have way to much leverage

JP Racing
18-03-2014, 22:30
I have this set up

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00245_zps32uiv3di.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00245_zps32uiv3di.jpg.html)

Same as scoff :) this is scoffs pedal too

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/11_modified_clutch_pedal_zpsn3vtkkn9.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/11_modified_clutch_pedal_zpsn3vtkkn9.jpg.html)

I have just popped it on but not fully compressed it but if it needs to be less i will redrill and cut the end off ;)

turbo ted
18-03-2014, 22:54
hi jon
that mini vertical cylinder might not have enough pressure for your clutch but what rated clutch have you gone for, make sure you fit a clutch stop on the floor other wise you will end up bursting the slave cylinder in the box, I fitted a wildwood 0.75 cylinder regards rob.

JP Racing
18-03-2014, 23:17
Hmmm i cant remember to much about the clutch now but i think its an uprated cover and 5 paddle which should be good for around 450ft lbs the mini cylinder bore is 0.70" so not much off the 0.75 size wilwood one you have :scratch: will look into it though :)

JP Racing
18-03-2014, 23:35
Arr bugger just had a quick read on scoffs thread and the mini cylinder doesnt move enough fluid to disengage the clutch fully d'oh oh well will sort a new one out :)

Tutuur
19-03-2014, 06:17
Robbie didn't you have a mini cylinder too?

Regarding the .75 master, scoff and Robbie told me to get that one, when fitted even with smaller leverage it was a pig to disengage. I've now fitted the smallest wilwood master (somewhere in the 60ies iirc) and shortened the leverage and now it's good....

JP Racing
19-03-2014, 07:00
The standard clutch master cylinder which sits in the pedal is only 0.625.

turbo ted
19-03-2014, 09:19
Arthur mine is a pig of clutch to press but I just put that down too its rated to 580ftlbs,
what model wildwood did you refit as I might change now:)

Tutuur
19-03-2014, 10:48
The smallest of the 3 .625 iirc

What clutch do you have? I have the sachs pressure plate which is exactly what all the uprated clutches use

HAndy
20-03-2014, 08:20
i'm using wilwood o.75 master with biting point halfway of the floor, it works fine with no issues :) using the spec stage 4+ clutch, the only thing i do find its a bitch to pull away on as its typically all or nothing:laugh:

the sach cover plate splines are thinner/weaker than the spec item, and maybe easier to compress, sash uprated clutch(full kevlar type ring) is rated to 350ftlb darkside developments pushed it to 400ftlb a few years back on one of there high powered diesel cars, but unsure how long it would last;) although most people will never use its full load capacity, anyway back on subject...as i said yesterday jp, i would go with the 0.75 and fit the stop, better to over engineer ;)

JP Racing
14-05-2014, 10:50
Ok a small update as I have a few mins spare :)

Mini master cylinder in and working fine but need to test properly hopefully next week if all goes well ;)

Fitted my adjusted down pipe and 're tweaked the exhaust as it was very low to the floor on its last outting.

Picture of the exhaust brackets I've made

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140509_135422_zpsfmsxepu3.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140509_135422_zpsfmsxepu3.jpg.html)

Picture of my heat wrapped down pipe

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140506_141859_zpshj2usmdt.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140506_141859_zpshj2usmdt.jpg.html)

Also just got my screamer pipe back and also my adjusted strut brace

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140514_081500_zpsycxdjnsd.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140514_081500_zpsycxdjnsd.jpg.html)

Just need to pull my finger out today and fit both ;)

All going to plan at the moment and looking good for FCS got my tickets ordered :D

Also seems like I'm not the only one loving the 5 in our family lol

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140513_181702_zpszasdepuz.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140513_181702_zpszasdepuz.jpg.html)

Tutuur
14-05-2014, 11:17
Looking good mate! Wonder how the clutch will do.

Mine is fine apart from the fact the pedal sometimes jitters i think because of resistance in the meganism. Sometimes also resulting in an on off clutch without wanting to

HAndy
15-05-2014, 07:01
looking really good:cool:

JP Racing
15-05-2014, 09:28
Small update screamer wrapped In exhaust wrap and fitted

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140514_143035_zpsjcionhcl.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140514_143035_zpsjcionhcl.jpg.html)

Strut brace fitted too, just waiting on my charge cooler to come back after a last minute mod and a few pipes ordered ready to start plumbing the rad in and charge cooler ;)

JP Racing
30-05-2014, 20:59
Small up date again. I'm getting the car slowly ready for French car show and it's almost done. Cutting it fine now though lol.

Waiting for some new fuel lines to turn up fingers crossed it's tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath :(

So recently I've sorted the centre console and a few gauges that needed fitting m s only my intake and exhaust temp gauge ;)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/20140530_162248_zpswgxsfw5d.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/20140530_162248_zpswgxsfw5d.jpg.html)

Got all the water hoses in and filled up with the rad in place too ;) just need to do the charge cooler side on Monday and fit fuel lines bonnet and grill and bumper all ready for a wash before it's mot and fcs ;)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140522_143445_zpsbuoooyi9.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140522_143445_zpsbuoooyi9.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/20140522_143500_zpsncqdjj20.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140522_143500_zpsncqdjj20.jpg.html)

Still hopefully for fcs but still a lot to do lol.

Tutuur
30-05-2014, 21:43
lovely mate, it's about time to take it out again!

Nad-5GTT
31-05-2014, 13:53
Looking good, the water hoses are looking neat :agree: your definitely cutting it fine for fcs good luck for the mot

JP Racing
31-05-2014, 15:00
New fuel lines arrived this morning got a family bqq today but I think I might sneak off to finish getting them made and fitted :D Got all day Monday on it and need to mot Tuesday then test for any faults lol

Tutuur
31-05-2014, 18:10
Keep up the good work mate!

9 has been pestering me too for the last few days but i've won!

JP Racing
03-06-2014, 22:03
Ok so today I managed to finish putting the car back together and gave her a wash ready for an MOT on Thursday the day before French car show ;) some pictures of the car

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_145444_zpsefkwe7vr.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_145444_zpsefkwe7vr.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_145841_zpspaocn1sr.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_145841_zpspaocn1sr.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_150419_zpsw2yhwdei.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_150419_zpsw2yhwdei.jpg.html)

Tutuur
03-06-2014, 22:16
The radiators look aggresive mate!

JP Racing
03-06-2014, 23:13
One just for you Tutuur ;)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_175853_zpshetarorg.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140603_175853_zpshetarorg.jpg.html)

GTphil
03-06-2014, 23:25
I think it looks awesome:cool: the standard of work looks fantastic.

Will you be mapping before the show? or is that for afterwards?

B18ftMOJO5
03-06-2014, 23:40
agree thats looking mean a fcuk JP...;)

JP Racing
03-06-2014, 23:43
It's already mapped and running 375bhp at around a bar of boost but need it mapped up later in the year as I now have 2 sets of injectors ;)

LiamR
03-06-2014, 23:49
Looks minty fresh. I hope it passes the MOT ;)

Trevhib
04-06-2014, 10:07
This is mad! Great install :agree:

GTphil
04-06-2014, 13:48
It's already mapped and running 375bhp at around a bar of boost but need it mapped up later in the year as I now have 2 sets of injectors ;)

Should have some poke then:smokin:

JP Racing
05-06-2014, 11:44
It's passed is MOT with only one advisory and I will sort it out after fcs yay got a picture from the garages pit while I was there.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_082232_zpstmjbpmbq.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_082232_zpstmjbpmbq.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_084550_zpshuxml5qe.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_084550_zpshuxml5qe.jpg.html)

And while I was there red had a friend called Hugo who was getting some work.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_083423_zpsj9qd1jln.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140605_083423_zpsj9qd1jln.jpg.html)

Hugo even has his own Facebook page.

Nad-5GTT
05-06-2014, 11:57
You really have cut that fine :eek: well done on the pass :agree: look forward to seeing this over the weekend

Dre5gtt
05-06-2014, 12:32
Great stuff :agree:

smithyr5gt
05-06-2014, 21:08
nice! will be looking for this Saturday!:cool:

Lee-H
05-06-2014, 21:38
Nice work, and congrats on the MOT pass. Looking forward to having a nose around this on Saturday :)

LiamR
05-06-2014, 22:52
Good result on the MOT!!:agree: Looking forward to seeing this at FCS ( and stealing parts off it to put on mine!!) ;):D:D

w35ty
06-06-2014, 13:30
Looking good mate wish i could get down to FCS to have a nose around it..

Full 3" you got? you use a flexi at all? And is that wrapped all way along?

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 08:05
Just a quick update.

After getting the car ready to go to French car show it revealed a few issues. First off the boost was spiking and couldn't be controlled very well. After the first stop I checked the Wastegate to find the pipe ends had unscrewed and come a little loose.

Then on the way to fcs the gearbox felt lovely with the new ratios but unfortunately the gear cable end, which fits onto the box, decided to break leaving me stranded for a little while. Some rtoc members stayed till I managed to cable tie it back on to get to fcs. Then on the Saturday I had to get to Swindon to get new parts to replace. Sorted.

The car felt quite flat and didn't boost properly too and I was getting a lot of fumes in the car cough cough cough not nice.

So I took the car apart to investigate and found a few problems.
Exhaust manifold had a crack in it along a weld which had been ground back.
Exhaust manifold was leaking from the gasket too.
Then to top it off I hit the exhaust at a local garage to loosen the bolts on the turbo elbow and bent 4 out of the 5 :eek:
While I was under the car putting bits right I also noticed a nice split engine mount which has only lasted around 500 miles. That would explain the cam pulley touching the front strut tower and leaving a mark.
This one's not a major problem but the fuel tank was only 35 litres and the dip sensor would only read about 50% of the tank. So had to guess what was left which was a pain.
Also the turbo exhaust housing still had the hole for the penny washer in it but it was blocked off with the down pipe but as it was loose I was losing lots of exhaust gases around the turbo. I run an external gate so no need for the hole so had it welded up.
The exhaust hanger rubber had pulled through and the exhaust had a little more movement the an it should.
Also as the exhaust was a little loose it melted the cv boot on the drive shaft.

So far I have fixed just about all of the above and will put pictures up of everything later on.

Trevhib
07-08-2014, 11:41
Keep going at it JP. That's not a bad list considering the major surgery this car has had :)

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 12:06
It's all good Trevor. If it rains tomorrow I'll have a day finishing bits off ;)

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 12:10
Fuel tank has been extended and a longer dip tube fitted so now it's all good

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140709_120844_zpsqjft61ln.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140709_120844_zpsqjft61ln.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140709_105818_zpse1baimy7.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140709_105818_zpse1baimy7.jpg.html)

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 13:00
Next on the list was remove the drive shaft and replace the c.v. boot. The job was made lots easier by removing the turbo and down pipe and exhaust manifold. As the manifold needed coming off it didn't matter too much. Had some pictures of a drive shaft before and after but can't find them bugger.

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 13:08
While I was playing around under the car I noticed the engine mount had gone a bit wrong.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140717_160724_zpsyim46aav.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140717_160724_zpsyim46aav.jpg.html)

The top metal piece has separated from the rubber allowing the engine to rock quite a lot.

So I decided to make some new mounts for the car. I made them very similar to the v8 engine mounts so 2 large steel washers with the polyurethane Bush in the centre held together with a nice 10.9 bolt with lock nut and they came out alright.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140718_150936_zps5qbrltof.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140718_150936_zps5qbrltof.jpg.html)

Fitting these tomorrow hopefully.

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 13:11
Also a little something different to hold the engine away from the tower as an extra precaution.

Just a pair of brackets and a steady bar made from some rose joints and threaded bar.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140718_134529_zps5fqzn0rt.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140718_134529_zps5fqzn0rt.jpg.html)

Thanks to handy Andy for making the brackets and cutting the polyurethane bushes. Much appreciated thanks ;)

Tutuur
07-08-2014, 14:49
good to see youŕe still fiddling with the car mate!

JP Racing
07-08-2014, 15:46
Still sorting little bits out getting all the little niggling bits done ready for some more tuning at efi parts. Not booked nothing yet but later in the year will sort something.

Mr Raider
07-08-2014, 22:34
Nice work JP, good idea with the bracket as remember Oli's belt munching into the tower at Retro Show Santa Pod :eek: lol

JP Racing
08-08-2014, 13:51
The bracket was only mocked up will fit it Monday as I've just sprayed it all and drilled all the holes ;)

JP Racing
08-08-2014, 13:54
Mine has done the same as oli's car but mine only just touched the paint so no damage on the tower or cam belt. Its because of the engine mounts not being up to the job but I'm currently changing mine as we speak ;) all 4 :(

JP Racing
09-08-2014, 08:55
Had a good day yesterday. Managed to change the engine mounts over.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140808_135713_zpsrfb193qq.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140808_135713_zpsrfb193qq.jpg.html)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140808_135654_zpsxkwljjtc.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140808_135654_zpsxkwljjtc.jpg.html)

Dave Reed
09-08-2014, 09:15
I take it your putting a damper on that rose jointed engine steady? If you don't I would think it'll snap that stud of.

Looking good though fella :agree:

JP Racing
09-08-2014, 09:30
Was thinking of cutting the rod and using a 5th polyurethane Bush with the washers in the centre. Should be enough to take out any movement ;)

JP Racing
08-10-2014, 07:36
Not updated this for a while so thought I will get on it.

I have fitted new door cards which have been flocked and get rid of the big holes where the speakers went. I went for a lighter shade of grey than std to lighten it up in the cockpit. I've also had a few other bits flock to break the colours up a little.

Before

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_141002_zpsbppobu7t.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_141002_zpsbppobu7t.jpg.html)

And after

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_140310_zpstnerf5hd.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_140310_zpstnerf5hd.jpg.html)

JP Racing
08-10-2014, 07:39
Also I fitted some sill protectors which have been in the shed for years. You can also see the center console and Sun visor which has been flocked too.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/JPRacing1978/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_140319_zpskbohqz9f.jpg (http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/JPRacing1978/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140926_140319_zpskbohqz9f.jpg.html)

JP Racing
08-10-2014, 07:50
Will be checking my engine mounts over winter just to check them out. They are working really well with very little engine movement and not much more vibration than with the last mounts.

Got a little bit of a check list to do over winter.

Front shock is leaking so will be sending them off to gaz and have them refurbed.

Got to replace the brake nipples in both the rear calipers as they have been broken off.

Need new tyres all round and need to research what to go for. Was looking at a few different ones at the moment.

Got a few bits to do to the body kit as it's getting a bit chipped on the paint work where they were stored and moved around my shed so might get some bits resprayed. Might even go back to red.

Need to get the tracking sorted after changing a track rod end and now they don't look right :laugh:

Need to get up to scoff for another map so might get that done once the list is completed.

w35ty
09-10-2014, 21:21
Good stuff bud cant wait to see it for real :agree:

JP Racing
30-10-2014, 12:41
Going to be up dating my car this year need a few things like suspension Refurb new rear calipers for next year. Then I've got some new wheels which I will be painting myself and I'm going to change the body kit too.

Tutuur
30-10-2014, 21:12
Good to see you're still busy with the car! Doorcards look mint!