PDA

View Full Version : Back from a re-spray, but issues with turbo?

chezzer85
05-07-2012, 22:14
Just picked my car up from a full re-spray today. However unable to take it out due to the big cloud of blue smoke that followed me home.

Before i took it into the spray shop i'm 99% my turbo falled, as it was filling the boost pipes and intercooler with oil. I then bought a couple of t2's very cheap from a fellow member, which i tried out. One would not take up or pass oil though it back to the sump but didn't leak oil, so i tried the next one which chucked oil into the down pipe. I then took delivery of another not so cheap turbo from another member, tried this out today and more blue smoke. Now got a box of useless snails. Time now to shell out on a NEW turbo or decent rebuild. Buy cheap buy twice (or three times in this case).

Phoenix Autosport
05-07-2012, 22:40
always the case when you buy cheap or buy parts of "unknown" condition, im sure there was someone on here doing rebuilds, maybe you can get a deal trading them all in for them to rebuild and sell on ??

Alex
06-07-2012, 07:45
Second hand turbos are always a risk. Blunty might be able to help you with a rebuild though :agree:

Coops
06-07-2012, 10:25
run it without the turbo, check it isn't a lump issue

chezzer85
06-07-2012, 12:11
run it without the turbo, check it isn't a lump issue

Engine was rebuilt 1500miles ago, so wouldn't have thought so. Have taken the turbo off and down pipes full of oil and rear housing is too. I'll fire here up later without turbo fitted just to check (can't do any damage can I?)

Coops
06-07-2012, 12:28
nah be fine, I did same years back to check for leak. same issue and it was the turbo, but its just good to double check if you get me. if you splash out 600+ on a brand new snail only to find its rings, you'd be screwing!:laugh:

Tony Walker
06-07-2012, 15:26
Check breather system. High pressure cause the turbine seals to pass oil. Vent the rocker cover to atmosphere then run engine.

chezzer85
06-07-2012, 19:21
Check breather system. High pressure cause the turbine seals to pass oil. Vent the rocker cover to atmosphere then run engine.

Think i owe you a drink Tony. If it wasn't for this club i'd have sold my GTT a long time ago.

It seems i had a block/restriction in my breather set-up, i not long ago fitted sfs hoses and it seems that i did the clip up on top of the swirl pot too tight. This then caused an increase in oil pressure, which the exaust seals on the turbo couldn't hold back. Haven't been for a drive yet as its raining, but a lot less smoke on idel. Just think she needs a good clear out. :burnrubber: Oil pressures looking a lot better too, 30psi when warm on idel.

Tony Walker
06-07-2012, 20:53
np, easily done, fingers crossed for ya :D