PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Replacement Quote

LiamR
01-07-2012, 12:44
Autoglass were putting a new windscreen in my dads Rav4 yesterday and so whilst he was at my house I asked if he would pop the screen out of my 5.

This is because it needs a bit of work around the panel (rust).

The man came over and said he could do it but not without breaking the screen. Surely this cant be true as i was hoping to put the old screen back in! So he left and the screen is still in place..........:crap:

Anyone managed to get a screen out without breaking it?

Also, I had a ring around and got a quote for a new tinted screen fitted - £95+VAT.

Is this a good price? They also said that for that price they would pop the screen out, let me do the required work on the surround and then come back at a later date and fit the screen.

markg
01-07-2012, 13:10
Had mine taken out on Friday. I was also told that it wasn't guaranteed they wouldn't crack it. It did break but I have a new one so not to bothered anyway.

GTphil
01-07-2012, 13:31
They said the same thing to me, they can't be sure if it will break or not.

£95 For a new screen fitted seems fair;)

chezzer85
01-07-2012, 13:57
Autoglass quoted me £210 to remove and re-fit front and rear glass. I used a local company that did it for £80, didn't break. Though they managed to snap off one of the conectors for the heated rear window:cry:.

phase i 16 v turbo
01-07-2012, 14:25
I take them out all the time with the correct tools not a problem. I sell after market screens for £65 and OE green tinted screens for £100.

Thanks
Mike

LiamR
01-07-2012, 15:54
Thanks for the replies lads

Mike- what tools/method do you use to get them out then?

Maybe a link to what I can buy to do it myself. :) need to try and save the pennies for the respray.

phase i 16 v turbo
01-07-2012, 16:22
Thanks for the replies lads

Mike- what tools/method do you use to get them out then?

Maybe a link to what I can buy to do it myself. :) need to try and save the pennies for the respray.

If you goto a window screen supplier you need a long knife and a removal tool. U can always borrow my if you get stuck.

Thanks
Mike

Tony Walker
01-07-2012, 17:19
Sounds like i got lucky then, my screens nearly made its own way out :D

LiamR
01-07-2012, 20:47
Cheers Mike. I may well take you up on that offer.

Top bloke as ever :agree:

linni
01-07-2012, 21:04
took mine out recently what you really need is a length of cheese wire.
cut a slit wide enough to get the wire through wrap it around something as a handle and cut round slowly. will need 2 pairs of hands though
use long strokes so as not to overheat the wire as it might strip. re fitting id leave to whoever does the bodywork:agree:

Leebourner
02-07-2012, 10:39
My tinted screen came out fine (guy from autoglass), had a full re-spray so no rust!! :D
Then he put it back in in 10 minutes with a new seal.. all for £60!