PDA

View Full Version : Memory problem

UNICRONICUS
04-12-2008, 13:26
I recently bought an extra 1Gb of ram for a Dell PC (Optiplex 320) to go with the existing stick of memory to boost it up to 2Gb. When I boot up the machine it doesn't recognize the extra 1Gb, it still thinks there's only 1Gb fitted to the board. Both memory sticks work in different slots so I know the memory isn't buggered neither are the slots they go into so what could be stopping them from being recognized as a pair?

The slots are different colours, one is black the other is white, but according to the Crucial website (where I got it from as per their recommendation) the system should be able to take two lots of memory, just not it dual mode, which is fine.

Can anyone help me with this?

Ta!

stuTHC
04-12-2008, 16:06
Im not pc minded at all really, but i have built my own before from castoff components that my mates didnt want. I had an extra memory stick and had a similar problem. One of the mates came around and fiddled with a few options in the bios and got it working, hope this helps but probably not!
:)

UNICRONICUS
04-12-2008, 16:11
Nice one Stu, I had a look in the BIOS but being a Dell I don't get much fiddly options it there for the memory, if any to be honest with you :(

Trevhib
04-12-2008, 16:12
If the machine is capable, the memory ok and it's fitted in the right slot then I agree with the above, it'll be a bios setting that will need changing to allow the PC to recognise the other stick/slot. I don't know why it has to be this way to be honest :dearme:

Trevhib
04-12-2008, 16:13
Nice one Stu, I had a look in the BIOS but being a Dell I don't get much fiddly options it there for the memory, if any to be honest with you :(

As far as I know, there's Bios and there's Bios, if you catch my drift. :crap:

UNICRONICUS
04-12-2008, 16:19
The bios's don't allow you to do much, ass protection for them I guess...

MR TURBO
04-12-2008, 16:23
The bios's don't allow you to do much, ass protection for them I guess...

Sounds like you may have to flash your bios to maybe a more up to date one or maybe just to one which gives you more control of your motherboard options......Check dell website and see if there is any support on there for new updated bios's

Hope this may be of some help :D:D

Trevhib
04-12-2008, 16:29
Found on :google:

'I had the same problem with my dell. I had to go into the bios and tell it to find the ram. Its been a while but i think i just went to bios/memory and there was something like refresh or reconfigure.'

I'd have another look and then try Google again for similar issues.

UNICRONICUS
05-12-2008, 09:51
Ok. I managed to update the BIOS, again, and the memory I bought still doesn't work alongside the original one. I decided to try a stick of 512MB from an Optiplex 330 and voila! It worked! The details of the working 512MB stick are 512MB 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12. The details of the stick of RAM that doesn't work is 1GB 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12-ZZ

Would the 'ZZ' at the end have anything to do with the reason it doesn't work?

Cheers!