PDA

View Full Version : Turbo oil return flange sealing

Jimmy_GTT
28-06-2012, 11:45
I have problems sealing my turbo oil return flange.
I'm using gasket and have tried with or without some sealent on the gasket.
But it is still dropping some oil.

On my previous turbo this flange was installed without any gasket. Just some sort of white (or clear) sealent was used. (even on the fixing screws) I never had problem with it.

Can you please give me some advise how to seal it well?

Brigsy
28-06-2012, 12:15
Check oil isnt dripping out the exhaust housing mate, ive had this before.

A gasket is usually adequate to seal the bolt on style oil return fittings providing the faces are flat/true.

Jimmy_GTT
28-06-2012, 12:22
Check oil isnt dripping out the exhaust housing mate, ive had this before.

A gasket is usually adequate to seal the bolt on style oil return fittings providing the faces are flat/true.

Wouldn't it make the car blue smoking?
How could it be fixed?

Brigsy
28-06-2012, 13:09
The turbo barely smoked at all, see if there is an oil stain on the exhaust housing. Rebuild is the only way to fix it.

Jimmy_GTT
29-06-2012, 19:05
It seems you are right. Oil is on the bottom fixing screw which fix the turbo in to the housing.
Is it any cure for this? If I modify breather system or the oil drain pipe?
Or it is sure that a rebuild has to come?

Brigsy
29-06-2012, 19:35
It will need a rebuild mate, if the turbo is good it wont leak out of there. If the return or breathers were at fault it would smoke all the time.

Jimmy_GTT
29-06-2012, 21:38
Said to hear that. :sad2:
Bought it last year with the help of Blunty.
It did a maximum of 2.000kms, but I have this oil dripping problem since installation. I've tought it is a problem of the oil return flange as I haven't seen any smoke and car runs perfectly.
I'll try to talk to Blunty. I'll join the ND next month so maybe I'll take the turbo back for a check.

GTphil
29-06-2012, 21:55
It may not need a re-build,

I had this issue with a turbo once, purchased a newly re-built blower and it was exatly the same I had an oil stain on the exhaust housing next to the oil drain fitting, it ran fine didn't smoke on boost or overrun, smaoked slightly if i left it to idle for a long time circa 5 mins plus.

I sent the turbo off to be checked/re-built to turbo developments (the ones that adam off here work for)

They sent it back to me saying the core was more or less bran new and the turbo wasn't the problem.

It ended up being the braket on the oil return pipe where it bolts to engine mount/gearbox had been somehow bent and the oil wasn't flowing downwards enough and pushing passed the seals in the turbo, once the issue was sorted the turbo was fine.

Of course this might not be your issue but well worth a check before condeming the blower;)

Jimmy_GTT
29-06-2012, 22:25
Thanks GTphil!

I'll check it during the weekend.
I really hope that the turbo is fine and I can solve it somehow.
And I really have to know if I have to take it with me to ND. As I can not travel to the UK quite often. :D:D