PDA

View Full Version : slight dilemma in relation to emission & carb setting

djinuk
04-12-2008, 10:27
I have a slight dilemma, the position i am in at the moment is that i have a r5gt i brought broken , now the car is i beleive is running about right, however i am unable to set the carb (only running standard jets with a t2). I need to obviosuly get this setup propelly on a rolling road, however before i do that i need to get the car moted. My worry is will the car fail it emissions and thus fail mot , if the carb is not running correct.. as i cant take the car to a rolling road without a mot.

Any advice welcome

Misky
04-12-2008, 10:35
I have the same problem! also have no tax or insurance aswel.
What I was planning on doing is asking my mate if he can pass it then bring a recipt from it being set up and he can re test it himself.

or

Take the car for m.o.t then let it fail and use the 10 day period to get it set up correctly and have a free re test.

Also I know it has been asked before....but..... when they preform an emsissons test what does it go off? the engine or the car model. As I have a gtt lump in a 1.4 spi campus.

djinuk
04-12-2008, 10:37
are you allowed to drive the car in the 10 day period then, as i presumed that would only be applicable to cars that did previously have a mot if you get me, otherwise wont it be possible for people to drive very dangerous cars , albeit only for 10 days lol

Misky
04-12-2008, 10:43
As far as Iam aware you can drive a car that has JUST failed an m.o.t.
So you would have to get it tested first, knowning it will fail to qualify for the 10 day period.

item 3 explains it better. :agree:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Special%20Notice%2006-06.pdf

Bigfoot
04-12-2008, 10:43
You can not drive the car within the 10 day period. Its only if it still has an MOT you can do that. The only time you can drive a car with an MOT is to a garage which you have advance booked an MOT and on the way back as long as its not dangerous to drive.

djinuk
04-12-2008, 10:45
i have some good mot testers ;) , but im not sure what they can do if my emissions were sky high, other than fail it as its all computer based now

Bigfoot
04-12-2008, 10:46
i have some good mot testers ;) , but im not sure what they can do if my emissions were sky high, other than fail it as its all computer based now

If you got some good MOT testers, ask them to put it on the machine before they start the MOT that way, any adjustments can be made, if any, then put through a test to see about the rest of the car

Misky
04-12-2008, 10:47
Or they could put the equipment on a Prius :laugh:
Lowest emissioned 5 in the World.

OUTLAW
04-12-2008, 10:48
are you allowed to drive the car in the 10 day period then, as i presumed that would only be applicable to cars that did previously have a mot if you get me, otherwise wont it be possible for people to drive very dangerous cars , albeit only for 10 days lol
your not suppose to drive the car at all if it fails its mot, you can drive it to and from the test station, and aporpriate garages to have the relavant work carried out to pass the mot, but if you really want to drive in that 10 day period, it should`ent be a prob, if you get pulled, just have a list of excuses ready in your head, for the p*gs:laugh:

Brigsy
04-12-2008, 10:50
You should have no problem getting a gtt through emissions with std carb jetting. If the emissions are high adjust the mixture screw at the mot station.

I always set mine up so the exhaust pops on overrun, generally it will pass with ease. Remember anything under 3.5% is a pass due to the age of the car so its a doddle unless something is badly wrong.

Misky
04-12-2008, 10:52
It says on vosa website if the car is moved from the test station then the only problem is a partial retest fee? but the car must be rested in 10 days or remain off the road until a new m.o.t inspection is carried out. :confused:

Yeh like outlaw said just have a list of excuses :D
I will be driving mine to be set up.
They make it so difficult for the enthusiast who has done nothing but improve his/her car.:mad:

djinuk
04-12-2008, 11:31
would the innovitive Afr kits go a long way to telling me if the emissions should be correct, reason i ask is i plan to buy one of these anyway, and im just wondering if i should stump up the cost in advance for this purpose.

Brigsy
04-12-2008, 12:55
Afr on idle will give an indication to whether the engines running rich or lean.

Its no black art setting the mixture for mot though, the fuelling on idle will have to be quite rich for it not to pass. If its worrying you that much wind the mixture screw fully in, back out 2 1/2 turns & it should be somewhere near.

djinuk
04-12-2008, 13:39
im guessing is the emissions is to rich on the mot, i wind the screw in until it leans off . ?

newbstar*
04-12-2008, 23:28
a mot tester will do this for you if you ask.

Matt Cole
05-12-2008, 07:21
a mot tester will do this for you if you ask.

No he won't. He may not even know where the carb is never mind the mix screw!As Briggsy has pointed out, adjust as described and go for mot. While on the machine as part of the test, have your screwdriver ready. any adjustment will take time to register so be patient. Try not to go lower than 1.5c/o.

djinuk
05-12-2008, 07:28
nice one man thats the info i needed, right going to get wheel bearing done, final checks , then book my 5 in for mot.. joy