PDA

View Full Version : Disaster strikes

GT Josh
21-06-2012, 23:36
Just been to drop the missis off at work and the car made a weird juddering feeling when I braked. Doing around 10mph. So I stopped and hears hisssssss. Drivers side front wheel flat as a pancake in 20 seconds. Whopped the wheel off to find my caliper had detached from the top bolt (bolt come loose and gone) therefore my caliper took a massive gouge out of my alloy and totally ****ed it up. I havnt done anything with these since I got the car, now which appears to be a schoolboy error.

Stuck with nothing but a screwdriver a socket set and a jack I took the bolt out of the bottom thread and put it on the top to go with move ment of disc... Spare wheel on and drove 2 mile at 20mph.

I am totally gutted but on the bright side at least i wasn't screwing it and slammed on. I dread to imagine what would of happened.

Funds are super tight and I'm due to have an operation on my knee. So I'm in a world of pain. Feel free to laugh :laugh::laugh:

Os8472
22-06-2012, 01:36
**** that coulda been nasty, I'd take that as a lucky escape fella.

I'd get all the wheels off and give all the brake and suspension nuts and bolts a quick nip to check nothing else is loose.

jesus in the seat of a 5
22-06-2012, 06:04
alls well that ends well bud ....ive had the wheel nuts all come off before due to working on the driveway till it gets dark...silly me, good luck with the op bud..:)

GT Josh
22-06-2012, 07:23
Haha, cheers mate

jay28
22-06-2012, 08:02
The dangers of letting people with no ability or mechanical aptitude work on vehicles! As said already check the whole car over. If on doubt take it to a garage you trust. When was it motd?

GTphil
22-06-2012, 09:11
Pretty much what I said, check the rest of the brakes/suspension, the bolt has either not be tightned up properly or the thread in the hub is damaged.

I suspect it may have damaged the wishbone/ball joint also, it's not something you usually check when purchasing a car, by that I mean you don't look for loose caliper bolts:eek:

I was pretty shocked when you rang and told me what happened.

I have heard of it happening with the rear caliper carriers as the threads are ally and easy to strip, but the front caliper:scratch:

Luckly, he has a spare tsw alloy that just needs a lick of paint to match the rest, get the tyre swapped over, give the rest of the calipers a good check over, and replace any damaged parts. Then maybe get the tracking sorted again and it should be ok.

Like has been said, good job this happened at low speed really, dread to think what damage it would have caused at high speed:scared:

SirSamuelOfBuca
22-06-2012, 09:18
I had exactly the same thing happen.

Clunk

thought what was that. Carried on driving.

Went home later that day put car over the pit got wheel off.

Caliper just fell off lol :S still worked though (not that you can tell when you press the brakes in my car)

GT Josh
22-06-2012, 10:03
The dangers of letting people with no ability or mechanical aptitude work on vehicles! As said already check the whole car over. If on doubt take it to a garage you trust. When was it motd?

Mot'd about 3 month ago mate. Well serves me right for not checking really. But I did not expect that to happen :(

5teve L
22-06-2012, 15:24
I always threadlock the bolts to the hubs.

Ron
22-06-2012, 17:11
I had this happen many moons ago! As said above thread lock the bolts in :)

Ron

GT Josh
22-06-2012, 18:05
Hi Ron u ok mate. Did it cause any additional damage?? I'll be given the car a good going over when I get a day with good better weather.

Ron
22-06-2012, 23:38
Yeah all is good taa! It just marked the inside of the wheel, luckily I noticed pretty quickly and it didn't cause to many problems.

GT Josh
23-06-2012, 10:16
Yeah all is good taa! It just marked the inside of the wheel, luckily I noticed pretty quickly and it didn't cause to many problems.

It's totally ****ed my alloy up pal. But luckily I have a spare one! :D