PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about the B18FT

Slammed 66
20-06-2012, 22:51
Hey chaps,

Slight dilemma. I'm going to get another Renault extra converted and I'm torn between which engine to go for. I've had many C1Js since passing my test 13years ago but have never tried a b18. I'm well aware of the short comings of a c1j, what power to expect for the planned mods and the costs involved but none with the Volvo lump.

What are the weak points of a b18?
How tuneable an engine is it?
What power/torque figure is safe for a daily driver?

What would you do?

Thanks

Ross

JRP
20-06-2012, 22:54
SCHWARTZ Might be your man :) think he has been on a mission for a while.. bare in mind ive been lost to rtoc for a while.. he may have a rocket engine in there by now.:)

SCHWARTZ
20-06-2012, 23:02
SCHWARTZ Might be your man :) think he has been on a mission for a while.. bare in mind ive been lost to rtoc for a while.. he may have a rocket engine in there by now.:)

:laugh:

SCHWARTZ
20-06-2012, 23:14
the b18ft is a good solid engine. the good thing is efi you can just turn the key and it will start im not saying you cant have that with a carb but its just better. The main prob and cause of all my troubles is the ecu. If youre happy with 160 bhp you can fit a t25 run 18psi or so scoff modded ecu, with green injectors, front mount, better cam volvo e, ep, clio rsi to name a few and run it all day long.
If you want 200bhp odd youll need a t28 and to run more boost with larger injectors thats where it gets tricky and you need to trick the ecu by bypassing the maf with a hole in the inlet pipe and it all gets a bit pikey. Really if you want more that 160bhp i would go standalone to save a lot of troubble.
Fitting is easy you can use most coolant hoses from the c1j cut up, a 5 gtx front engine mount a custom downpipe, and a few little mods and thats it.

SirSamuelOfBuca
10-07-2012, 09:36
my mate ex member on here is trying to get me to use his old b18.

He seems to think with a 285 cam and at 25psi I could get 230+bhp.

He is saying I would need big jim manifold and saab/c20let injectors ecu unlocked by scoff and thats it with my current bits.

I really dont know whether to go that route. Bearing in mind I will have a weekend to fit it (he has done it before) and the engine has been standing for a while.

ahhhhhh that or just get 285 for the c1j although i think my current engine is at the limit tbh.

philg
10-07-2012, 10:05

He is saying I would need big jim manifold and saab/c20let injectors ecu unlocked by scoff and thats it with my current bits.

I really dont know whether to go that route. Bearing in mind I will have a weekend to fit it (he has done it before) and the engine has been standing for a while.

ahhhhhh that or just get 285 for the c1j although i think my current engine is at the limit tbh.

There is no cam available for the b18, its a n/a cam or a re-profile like i did, expensive though.

SirSamuelOfBuca
10-07-2012, 10:16
u cant get a 285 made up? mate said they were same/similar to a clio 16v?

I duno what to do is it worth the hassle of getting all the bits together and going b18 or just stick a 285 in mine? (thats the last mod I have left to do other than side exhuast)

Haz
07-08-2012, 01:25

ex member with 230bhp at 25psi, really? who? not many current members with that, especially since almost every b18 dets at 25psi.
there isnt a 285 cam, only na (around 265), reprofiled or catcams. similar to 16v?? they have 2 cams ;) the pulley is similar tho,
big jim manifold is for c1j not b18, thats custom too.
saab reds arent c20let injectors, but the vauxhall boys use the saab ones as upgrades too.
unless you have all the conversion bits to hand and all the engine service bits have been already been done i think doing it in a weekend is a tall order.
you mate forgot to mention the other items needed for 230bhp, not to mentione faffing round with the afm etc.
best sticking the the c1j with 285 as you mate may be confused and could end up alot of hassle ;)

Nottswoody
15-08-2013, 18:48
the b18ft is a good solid engine. the good thing is efi you can just turn the key and it will start im not saying you cant have that with a carb but its just better. The main prob and cause of all my troubles is the ecu. If youre happy with 160 bhp you can fit a t25 run 18psi or so scoff modded ecu, with green injectors, front mount, better cam volvo e, ep, clio rsi to name a few and run it all day long.
If you want 200bhp odd youll need a t28 and to run more boost with larger injectors thats where it gets tricky and you need to trick the ecu by bypassing the maf with a hole in the inlet pipe and it all gets a bit pikey. Really if you want more that 160bhp i would go standalone to save a lot of troubble.
Fitting is easy you can use most coolant hoses from the c1j cut up, a 5 gtx front engine mount a custom downpipe, and a few little mods and thats it.

:coffee:

Interesting!!