PDA

View Full Version : How to bed in a new cam

Chris Holt
20-06-2012, 21:23
Hi,
So the phase 2 has just come out of storage as after getting an insurance quote of 150 fully comp so there was no excuse,

The spec so far, rebuilt the engine last year with new pistons and liners (standard) all new gaskets,full bottom end thrust bearings etc etc, standard head, double intercooler, afr, oil cooler, upgraded rad, i i think its a t25 front end with 360 bearing, engine has been bedded in. Oh it has a refurb carb with tweaked jets-( cant recal set up)
Anyway I am getting a piper 285 cam put in along with a new heavy clutch as it started to slip last year. I need to know what is the correct way to bedding in a new cam.

Thanks
Chris

Matt Cole
20-06-2012, 21:45
Hi,
So the phase 2 has just come out of storage as after getting an insurance quote of 150 fully comp so there was no excuse,

The spec so far, rebuilt the engine last year with new pistons and liners (standard) all new gaskets,full bottom end thrust bearings etc etc, standard head, double intercooler, afr, oil cooler, upgraded rad, i i think its a t25 front end with 360 bearing, engine has been bedded in. Oh it has a refurb carb with tweaked jets-( cant recal set up)
Anyway I am getting a piper 285 cam put in along with a new heavy clutch as it started to slip last year. I need to know what is the correct way to bedding in a new cam.

Thanks
Chris

Generally 2000rpm for 20 mins. You need to make sure that when its installed plenty of engine lube is used. Hopefully your oil will be perfectly clean to avoid any damge to the lobe faces on initial run in.

Slammed 66
20-06-2012, 23:00
I've got a book on building high power air cooled vw engines. The theory should remain the same and it's suggested that driving up steep inclines at low revs is a good way to bed a cam in. I see nothing wrong with this idea other than if you've also had a bottom end freshen up (ooh er!)
Fresh engines shouldn't be laboured but it's good for new cams. Catch 22 I guess.

Ross

Brigsy
20-06-2012, 23:14
2-3k rpm for 20 mins, the piper cam comes with instructions. Make sure your rad fan works before starting up.

Chris Holt
21-06-2012, 08:56
The engine is all fine has has been well bedded in. The rad fan is on a manual switch so there are no problems with it working. Thanks for the advice