PDA

View Full Version : Top dead center lead - where and what does it look like?

Renault 5 GT Turbo
19-06-2012, 23:09
Car has just developed a stalling and poor idling issue. I have cleaned idle jet (carb has had recent rebuild and car was running well until last night), cleaned the dizzy cap and rotor arm with carb cleaner. HT leads are reasonably new too.

From research on previous peoples experience on here, I now need to look at the TDC lead and clean it, then test/replace fuel pump, then AEI unit in that order.

Can anyone help identify where I look for the TDC lead?

car.crash
19-06-2012, 23:11
it bolts onto the top of the gearbox, follow the wire up to the turbo area and into the scuttle. they often melt on the turbo.

SAM'S O.E R5
20-06-2012, 04:36
Car has just developed a stalling and poor idling issue. I have cleaned idle jet (carb has had recent rebuild and car was running well until last night), cleaned the dizzy cap and rotor arm with carb cleaner. HT leads are reasonably new too.

From research on previous peoples experience on here, I now need to look at the TDC lead and clean it, then test/replace fuel pump, then AEI unit in that order.

Can anyone help identify where I look for the TDC lead?

hi dave ive got a spare tdc lead if you want to try that and a ignition coil :)

THE MASTER
20-06-2012, 11:18
i would clean the idle jet again . try taking the jet out . (big brass screw half way up the carb on drivers side). all it takes is a bit of dirt 0.4 mm to block it up and also clean out the carb were the jet screws in ;)

Brigsy
20-06-2012, 12:21
Id agree with col. Also if your still running the original breather setup make sure the pipe that goes to the inlet manifold isnt split.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
20-06-2012, 21:15
Ok can anyone explain where the top dead center lead plugs in on the gearbox? I have taken the airbox out and am staring at the top of the gearbox.

Regarding the comment about the pipe that goes into the inlet manifold, do you mean the vac pipe that goes in from engine breather or the brake vac pipe?

I promise you all the brass idle jet is as clean as a wistle. I run two inline fuel filters to prevent dirt entering it. Plus, I know what a dirty jet feels like and I can assure you the symptoms are very different. The car goes great but just stalls every time I pull up to a stop.

chris
20-06-2012, 21:23
its under a black shield thats held on with 2 bolts you should be able to see the wire comeing from under it. its right next to the block looking down on flywheel hope this helps

SAM'S O.E R5
20-06-2012, 22:29
Ok can anyone explain where the top dead center lead plugs in on the gearbox? I have taken the airbox out and am staring at the top of the gearbox.

Regarding the comment about the pipe that goes into the inlet manifold, do you mean the vac pipe that goes in from engine breather or the brake vac pipe?

I promise you all the brass idle jet is as clean as a wistle. I run two inline fuel filters to prevent dirt entering it. Plus, I know what a dirty jet feels like and I can assure you the symptoms are very different. The car goes great but just stalls every time I pull up to a stop.

As yours is standard it can be hard to see it mounted by the fly wheel there is a brass plate covering it 2 x 11 mm bolt on each side there is a plug conected to the aei unit it's the middle one which has a second plug which s mounted on the other side of the aei unit on a black bracket

Renault 5 GT Turbo
20-06-2012, 22:33
As yours is standard it can be hard to see it mounted by the fly wheel there is a brass plate covering it 2 x 11 mm bolt on each side there is a plug conected to the ari unit it's the middle one which has a second plug which s mounted on the other side of the ari unit on a black bracket

Thanks Sam, found it. Gave it a clean and all seems well now.