PDA

View Full Version : Long shot, maybe one for Mr Grier ?

5teve L
19-06-2012, 17:42
A long shot but does anyone know much about the astra turbo's, Z20let ?
Just picked an sri up & it smokes like a trooper, my money is on turbo, it has a slight whistle & the intercooler pipes are full of oil :crap: But was 'told' that it's had a new VXR unit put on in the last few hundred miles, have paperwork to back this up as well :scratch:
Is there a decent upgrade kit for these on standard internals ?

James5
19-06-2012, 17:44
A long shot but does anyone know much about the astra turbo's, Z20let ?
Just picked an sri up & it smokes like a trooper, my money is on turbo, it has a slight whistle & the intercooler pipes are full of oil :crap: But was 'told' that it's had a new VXR unit put on in the last few hundred miles, have paperwork to back this up as well :scratch:
Is there a decent upgrade kit for these on standard internals ?

The vxr is the decent upgrade for them, is there play in the turbo? Oil in rear downpipe? Oil pre turbo although i know manifolds on these are part of the turbo

so you got a zafira then

Easy to replace its just down the front of the engine, mine used to have coilpack problems

5teve L
19-06-2012, 23:19
Na it's an SRi turbo, did a deal on my clio. I reckon it is turbo, just wanted some info as i know of a person thats had issues with the VXR units after a few hundred miles & read a bit online about them. Plus no-one will warranty a new unit if it's fitted to a gsi/sri which I find odd :scratch:

Duncan Grier
20-06-2012, 10:06
Steve, VXR unit very good for what it is and goods for 325bhp on a well spec'd LET setup in the vx220's. Most of the time 290-300bhp is a more realistic result in my experiancewith the right mods to support

As stated the manifold is part of the turbo but they are interchangable, there is documentation that stated the LEH (Astra VXR) turbo had a thicker cast manifold to address the weakness of cracking but they are the same, maybe the casting better but same design.

Turbo seals could have gone but they do take a fair bit of abuse and would look further into the setup / engine to see if there is an underlying issue

Crankcase breather outlet could be pumping a fair amount of oil vabour back into the turbo and through turbo/cooler and inlet

Really hard to say without seeing it but do a compression check also, and see how much in / out play is in that shaft

Take it the smoke is out the exhaust and not residue from engine bay

Let us know if you need anything specific

DG

5teve L
20-06-2012, 12:19
Steve, VXR unit very good for what it is and goods for 325bhp on a well spec'd LET setup in the vx220's. Most of the time 290-300bhp is a more realistic result in my experiancewith the right mods to support

As stated the manifold is part of the turbo but they are interchangable, there is documentation that stated the LEH (Astra VXR) turbo had a thicker cast manifold to address the weakness of cracking but they are the same, maybe the casting better but same design.

Turbo seals could have gone but they do take a fair bit of abuse and would look further into the setup / engine to see if there is an underlying issue

Crankcase breather outlet could be pumping a fair amount of oil vabour back into the turbo and through turbo/cooler and inlet

Really hard to say without seeing it but do a compression check also, and see how much in / out play is in that shaft

Take it the smoke is out the exhaust and not residue from engine bay

Let us know if you need anything specific

DG
Thanks Duncan,
I'll do a comp test & check the oil feed/return once I remove the turbo as I'm 100% sure it's gone, there is an audible whistle & it smoke on over run when warm & idle once up to temp/hot, far to much for it to be breather issues in my experience with previous turbo engines.
Just didn't want to fit a new unit for it to go again in a few hundred miles, once I know it's OK i'll get it remapped probably, what will it need for 250bhp or 280?

Duncan Grier
20-06-2012, 15:22
Will take the turbo off your hands if its buggered and maybe rebuld it or use for spares :)

LET needs the following for the higher 200's

LEH injectors, 2.5 / 3inch exhaust

Uprated I/C

Cooler plugs (7's fine)

Few mods you can do with air intake

Clutch

Remap

Some nice extras
L/B fly
Balance shaft removed
Larger top hat for TB
REcirc upgrade