PDA

View Full Version : C1j or b18ft

Slammed 66
19-06-2012, 16:30
Hey chaps,

Slight dilemma. I'm going to get another Renault extra converted and I'm torn between which engine to go for. I've had many C1Js since passing my test 13years ago but have never tried a b18. I'm well aware of the short comings of a c1j, what power to expect for the planned mods and the costs involved but none with the Volvo lump.

What are the weak points of a b18?
How tuneable an engine is it?
What power/torque figure is safe for a daily driver?

What would you do?

Thanks

Ross

Haz
22-06-2012, 00:30
in short, they cost about the same to buy and to tune.
there seems to be no weak points as such, but can still go wrong due to build/tuning error as with any engine.
very tuneable, with the ecu being the main restriction limiting the rev limiter at 6200rpm and not seen the results for one with standalone ecu and a proper cam, its yet to be done.
safe tune, mine was quite happy with 23psi, 230bhp/lbsft which is about the limit of the std (scoff fettled) ecu. about 18mths of daily abuse, pod etc just requiring the odd adjustment and usual service once the conversion niggles are sorted.
for me, have been volvo for many years, in fact, only had a c1j in my first gtt which spent more time in bits than on the road.

Markey Mark (BD)
22-06-2012, 15:03
in short, they cost about the same to buy and to tune.
there seems to be no weak points as such, but can still go wrong due to build/tuning error as with any engine.
very tuneable, with the ecu being the main restriction limiting the rev limiter at 6200rpm and not seen the results for one with standalone ecu and a proper cam, its yet to be done.
safe tune, mine was quite happy with 23psi, 230bhp/lbsft which is about the limit of the std (scoff fettled) ecu. about 18mths of daily abuse, pod etc just requiring the odd adjustment and usual service once the conversion niggles are sorted.
for me, have been volvo for many years, in fact, only had a c1j in my first gtt which spent more time in bits than on the road.

Volvo all the way for me too mate :agree:

Slammed 66
22-06-2012, 19:50
I've got a ropey extra lined up. It's crusty, covered in green mossy ****e and has been parked in the same spot for over a year. I love it. Going to offer the owner £100 for it then when I sell my Gtti I'll try to find a mechanically sound 480 turbo.

Expect a call in the not too distant future mark ;)

Ross

SCHWARTZ
22-06-2012, 21:58
if its going in a van its worth going b18ft if just for the extra torque

Slammed 66
22-06-2012, 22:24
My old van (Europarts old van) made 173bhp and 225.6lbft at 19 psi on a standard turbo. It was epic in the torque stakes and I've very fond memories of that car. Hopefully a Volvo motor will live up to expectations.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ross