PDA

View Full Version : B18FT alternator setup

Ashy
15-06-2012, 23:59
Hello,

Couple of questions about the alternator setup, heres a pic...

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Ashy%20172%20turbo/B18FT/IMAG0382.jpg

Does the spade connector from the loom just plug onto the spade connector on the alternator? Or do you guys cut the spade connector off, fit a ring connector and fix it to the +ve terminal?

Anyone got a pic of how theres is wired up?

Also do you guys use the std alternator mounting bracket and tensioning arm... Mine seems to stick out slightly further than I would like...

Cheers Ashy.

philg
16-06-2012, 09:03
Im at work now mate but i can put a picture up later if no one replies. I had problems with my alternator mounting bracket and tensioning arm to, they where very close to my intercooler as its a grill mount. I basically took about 15mm of the back of the alternator mounting bracket so it sat closer to the engine then elongated the tensioner arm holes at the bottom to pull everything in a bit closer.

phil

SCHWARTZ
16-06-2012, 09:23
Cut the spade off the loom and put a ring connector on like you say and that goes to +12v then if you're using gtt loom as well cut the double spade connector that went to the top of the old alt and put a spade connector on the purple wire that goes to top of alt, yellow wire gets left alone.

Ashy
16-06-2012, 09:26
Nice one guys, spot on! :agree:

SCHWARTZ
16-06-2012, 09:31
Pm for ya

Ashy
07-04-2013, 19:12
Just to bring this one back, I'm clear that I cut the spade connector (Volvo Loom) replace with a ring and put that to the +ve connector. Also all the lives on the gtt loom go to the +ve.

Can you confirm if the purple wire goes to the "L" pin on the alternator (botton lhs in the above pic)

The yellow wire (GTT loom) gets left alone...

What about the earths in the gtt loom, do they need to go to earth or just pair them up and leave outa the way?

Cheers...

SCHWARTZ
07-04-2013, 21:59
Earth the gtt loom and yes use the purple wire. You'll soon find out as if you use the yellow the engine won't die when you take the keys out:laugh:

Ashy
07-04-2013, 22:24
Ok dude, thanks :agree:

RSi SiDs 480
07-04-2013, 23:12
I used the Volvo alt bracket with RSI tensioner/adjuster bracket no power steering bracket attached on the RSI bracket ;-)