PDA

View Full Version : decompression spacer palte

allanr5gtt
13-06-2012, 19:43
hi all just toying with the idea of do a cheap (ish) turbo conversion on 1.8 16v and came across a decompression spacer plate on ebay. i've had a bit of search but hadn't really found any info on people using them and how relible they have been? i take it i would hve to used two head gaskets one each side of the spacer plate? would longer bolts be needed? big location dowls? different torque setting on the head bolts?

my other idea is to have the std pistons manchined down? can this be done with con on the piston? as i spoke to a manchine shop and they said when pressing the pins out of used piston may damage the piston itself?

any info on manching used piston, swapping con rods or using decompreeion plate would be greatfull thanks allan

GTphil
13-06-2012, 19:46
I'm pretty sure conrod needs to be removed for machining, I know that if your handy with a grinder you could flat top the pistons yourself, sounds pikey but I belive it works;)

allanr5gtt
13-06-2012, 19:48
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wp-s/Decompression-Plate-/_i.html?_fsub=2103388018

James5
13-06-2012, 20:16
F7p rods are held on to gudgeon pins with c clips matey come out nice and easy:agree:
just get them.skimmed wont cost you to much

allanr5gtt
13-06-2012, 20:42
thats sounds easier so they not like c1j that that are press in? so the next thing will be how much do you have takern off the std piston without have reliable issus? i'm only planning ruuning low boost as this will try and be done on a budget. as far as i read the std internals should be good for 210 ish but i'm not sure if that is with them being manchine or not? as after being manchine there will be less meat on them.

allanr5gtt
13-06-2012, 20:53
also just found this about different gaskets and spacer plates.

http://www.ferriday.co.uk/cnc/decompression_plates.shtml

looks like only one head gaskets is needed if using a plate.

James5
13-06-2012, 21:02
thats sounds easier so they not like c1j that that are press in? so the next thing will be how much do you have takern off the std piston without have reliable issus? i'm only planning ruuning low boost as this will try and be done on a budget. as far as i read the std internals should be good for 210 ish but i'm not sure if that is with them being manchine or not? as after being manchine there will be less meat on them.

Nothing like c1j have a look in project 2012 album you will see the clio pstons akd you can see the c clips

Something like 1.9mm will give you 8.0:1 but if you want no more than 8 psi leave the engine as standard

allanr5gtt
13-06-2012, 21:14
thanks for anwsering a lot of my question. 1.9mm takern off the piston will give roughly 8.1 is that with a 1.3mm or 1.6mm gasket? i was planning using the thicker one to be on the safe side. i did see on site engine dynamics site something like 1mm off the pistons and 1.6 gaskets gives 9.1.