PDA

View Full Version : Cup car suspension

Jaff
08-06-2012, 23:30
First post!

First post!

Hi guys been told this is a good lace to ask this as you guys are renault geniuses, so can anyone tell me how the megane mk1 cup racers used to set the rear of the car up suspension wise?

I have a set of cup racer struts which are an adjustable damper and spring setup like a coilover.

The rear of the megane is a torsion bar, which is the spring on the standard car, but with this cup setup one of the springs (torsion bar or coil spring) is going to be useless. Does anyone know what the cup racers done with the torsion bar?

Cheers

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
09-06-2012, 00:38
I'll ask one of my fiends who has a Megane cup car, it competed in the Dutch touring championship and I think it is still in original trim.
Off the top of my head I think it uses the coilover as a supplementary spring on top of the torsion bar spring rate.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
09-06-2012, 01:15
Right, he has the Tarmac type setup from a maxi Megane. This would have used a different beam, it has no torsion bars. Needle roller bearings and a Coilover damper setup.
I'll get a pic up in a mo.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
09-06-2012, 01:21
Here you go.
Hope this helps.....

Penfold aka The Dealer
09-06-2012, 02:48
Technically I should delete/move this thread as the OP is a non member....

But instead I will lock this thread... as I very much dount the OP will have any interest in joining RTOC..... despite getting his answer within 2 hours...

Jaff, join RTOC, for the £25 you will get access to alot of technical info & we would be interested in hearing/seeing more of your car.

Penfold aka The Dealer
09-06-2012, 12:55
Welcome to club Jaff.... Best £25 you have spent :)

Jaff
09-06-2012, 14:36
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ha thank you. Must admit £25 is a hard pill to swallow and I have been putting it off for a year or so now. But needs must and I'm here now :)

Matt thanks for those drawings, I hope there is a variation in the cup cars to the maxi cars (there will be in track width anyway) as I don't fancy my chances at finding a maxi rear beam, then cutting it down!

Anyone else got any info that's more related to the cup car? I have a picture of the strutt if it helps people help me come to a solution...

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/jaffman09/f3d9be1d.jpg

More info on the car when I get my project blog copied over here :)

Tony Walker
09-06-2012, 18:49
Look forward to it :D
Welcome :agree:

Jaff
10-06-2012, 14:17
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Look forward to it :D
Welcome :agree:

It's very very long lol.

Still none he wiser what to do :( google doesn't even have. Clue what I'm talking about :(

Jaff
14-06-2012, 14:11
Anyone able to help? Cant find nothing online :(

olidaviesuk
14-06-2012, 17:47
might have had one end of the torsion bars splines machined off, hence removing their spring effect - then with uprated damper mounts use a coilover as a conventional sprung damper.

The torsion bar would need a jubilee clip or a means of retaining so it doesn't fall out.

Anyone able to help? Cant find nothing online :(

Alastair
14-06-2012, 20:25
might have had one end of the torsion bars splines machined off, hence removing their spring effect - then with uprated damper mounts use a coilover as a conventional sprung damper.

The torsion bar would need a jubilee clip or a means of retaining so it doesn't fall out.

You can run coil overs with the OE torsion bars still in place ;) Even on other smaller renaults...:cool:

Alastair
14-06-2012, 20:26
You can run coil overs with the OE torsion bars still in place ;) Even on other smaller renaults...:cool:

And the ARBs too. You will rob ably find the dampers matched to suit the additional spring rates.:agree:

Jaff
14-06-2012, 22:51
So keep the bars in then?

Was hoping this was a solution to get rid tbh lol never mind!

Blog is up on here too btw :)