PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

trystan Lewis
08-06-2012, 00:12
After running my car for say 10 mins normal driving it's seems to be running hot a 3/4 way up seems high fan comes on fine any suggestions were it should sit on the temp gauge when driving normally and hard

FSP
08-06-2012, 08:55
In my 5 it sits just below midle. When in trafic and the weather is hot, it gets to the third and than fan kicks in. And I dont drive hard so have no idea on that :)

trystan Lewis
08-06-2012, 09:17
What are the solutions to getting it to run cooler ?

DaveL485
08-06-2012, 09:25
New lower temp thermostat, then bigger rad if thats not enough.

SCHWARTZ
08-06-2012, 11:22
good service with decent parts, new stat, blast the rad out, check fan switch, flush system and fill with new coolant.

trystan Lewis
08-06-2012, 11:33
Where can I buy the parts from? Thanks for your help

Romil Davda
08-06-2012, 11:46
Where can I buy the parts from? Thanks for your help

phase i 16 v turbo (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=380) will have all the bits you need, not sure about the coolant thou!

All - I'm thinking of putting in a low temp stat for the rad over summer?

Bigfoot
08-06-2012, 12:37
phase i 16 v turbo (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=380) will have all the bits you need, not sure about the coolant thou!

All - I'm thinking of putting in a low temp stat for the rad over summer?

Any reason why you want to run it cooler than the engine was designed for?

markey b
08-06-2012, 13:07
above half is normal :agree:

Romil Davda
08-06-2012, 13:10
Any reason why you want to run it cooler than the engine was designed for?

Uhmm no... I've just answered my own question... :rolleyes:

Although I do have a tuned engine, so not running standard!?!

Markey Mark (BD)
08-06-2012, 16:40
After running my car for say 10 mins normal driving it's seems to be running hot a 3/4 way up seems high fan comes on fine any suggestions were it should sit on the temp gauge when driving normally and hard

If you got normal temp switch and thermostat sounds about right, no worries there.

Markey Mark (BD)
08-06-2012, 16:43
Uhmm no... I've just answered my own question... :rolleyes:

Although I do have a tuned engine, so not running standard!?!

Standard or tuned there all fine using standard equipment ;)

trystan Lewis
08-06-2012, 20:51
Only reason was that I've had R5t and the fan kicked in pretty fast,and it was up to 3/4 on the dash after about 10 mins of driving,but after speaking to you guys the obviously run hot

Markey Mark (BD)
08-06-2012, 21:03
3/4 up the gauge isn't as hot as you think, what i call the 3rd mark (3rd line from bottom) just before that is where the fan would kick in as standard.

When they come in earlier they would have a low temp fan switch fitted to the radiaitor

Just out of interest what rad have you got in there and what condition is it in? Does temp rise when you drive car hard on boost?

trystan Lewis
08-06-2012, 21:09
I haven't driven hard for long enough to truly find out,but it didn't seem to rise above the 3rd mark,does that sound ok to you then,when I had a skyline it used to hit around the 90 mark and stay there but it had a front mount and front mount oil cooler

Markey Mark (BD)
08-06-2012, 21:13
I haven't driven hard for long enough to truly find out,but it didn't seem to rise above the 3rd mark,does that sound ok to you then,when I had a skyline it used to hit around the 90 mark and stay there but it had a front mount and front mount oil cooler

If it didn't rise above the third mark then its not getting too hot, if fan kicks in around then sounds all standard and working.
If unsure might be worth giving the water and antifreeze and change and flush the cooling system, always worth doing it now and then

olidaviesuk
08-06-2012, 23:45
If the fans kicking in around the third notch on the gauge and the temperature doesnt go any higher than all is probably fine... Low temp thermostats, etc, etc just aren't worth the bother. To rip off a well used phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" bleeding out the coolant system on a 5 can be problematic sometimes and cause more probs than it solves.. Belive me if it is running hot u'll have known about it already!

trystan Lewis
09-06-2012, 20:59
Ok great thank you for your advice