PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversion - Tax

Ashy
06-06-2012, 12:54
Right chaps need some clarification on this one if you can. Please only respond if you know the answers as guess work probably won't help.

So My R5 has a 2.0l 16v engine fitted. It's been running like that for 3 / 4 years.
It is insured with all modifications delcared including the larger engine.
I have not sent off the log book to tell the DVLA that the engine has changed.
My previous MOT tester never asked so was never told and did not declare the conversion to the DVLA / VOSA.

So based on the above info I was paying for road tax for a 1.4 engine.

Now.

When I took my car for its recent MOT the tester was a very strict "by the book" sorta chap and he declared the engine conversion for me (which was nice).
As the car has had a colour change and an engine conversion there is a chance I will get a letter from VOSA asking to see the car to ensure it isn't stolen or a cut & shut.

So I plan to send off the log book and declare the conversion as VOSA have been informed anyway and I need to notify them of the colour change.

The question is:
Would the tax rate change due to the engine conversion?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of when declaring something like this?

Thanks Ashy.

Bigfoot
06-06-2012, 13:02
When changing engine on the DVLA, I dont this about 4 years ago, just had to give them engine size and the engine code and they sorted out a new log book for me.

However, my brother has tried to do it since, and he had to prove where the engine was from and an engineers report to get it changed over. He had a company make up the Pinto engine so they had most of the info needed anyway for it. Not sure if its changed since as has been a few years since my brother changed his engine as well.

Bigfoot
06-06-2012, 13:02
The tax will go up as well to £225 I think it is now.

SCHWARTZ
06-06-2012, 13:09
i tried getting my log book changed when i fitted the volvo lump. dvla didnt recognise the engine wanted to know where it was from with receipts, when it was fitted (i would have to pay the difference in tax) and wanted the aa od rac to do a check on it. i told them to go **** them selves and have just told insurance company

DaveL485
06-06-2012, 18:05
The Government ass-munchers are rubbing their hands together in glee at the thought of fingering some extra pennies from your pocket :cry:

****ers took me for £137.50 for the 172 (6m) earlier today I was :eek::mad::mad:
My smoker 19 is £120, the Quadra is £120, the 5GTT is £120.....thievery!

JP Racing
06-06-2012, 22:49
I have just sent my log book off and followed this bit of info off another forum

Overview
Most of you will use this to update your engine size after an engine change to your Car

, so this guide is primarily written for that. However, most of it still applies for making other changes to your vehicle details.

This is the official way update your vehicle records. Some of you may have done things differently, if so feel free to post your sucesses/fails, but please do not argue the toss with the data given here. This is how DVLA tell you to do it.

You will need:
1. V5C certificate
2. Engine number. This will be stamped on the block somewhere (note, "number" NOT "code". C20XE is NOT an engine number!)
3. Evidence of the change. Forms of evidence are detailed below.

You may also need a stamp, envelope and covering letter. And money if the tax band has changed!

Note Some people get away without providing evidence of the engine change. As this guide follows the official procedure, I have included it. I would recommend it, as not only does it cover your back if the DVLA do request it, but it also backs up the safety of the car - this can also come in useful for future resale, and insurance proof.

Method
Step 1. Record Engine Number
Before undetaking the engine change, make a note of the engine number (location will vary depending on engine, but its usually stamped on the block, near the gearbox). Its much easier to find it before you put the engine IN the car!

Step 2. Get Evidence
Once the engine change has been completed and tested, you'll need to get evidence of the work carried out. This can be in one of a number of formats, but at minimum MUST contain the engine number and capacity (cc). Ideally, for extra DVLA kudos, the evidence should also state that the work has been undertaken to a level that satisfies vehicle safety standards.

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

Note: if the change was done prior to you purchasing the car, and the V5C has not been updated, you may still be asked to provide evidence.

Step 3. Update the V5C.
Complete Section 7, Changes to Current Vehicle of the V5C with the new details, which at minimum must be engine number (28) and cylinder capacity (cc, 24). Sign and date the old keeper box in Section 8, Declaration.

Step 4. Inform the DVLA.
This is where things start to differ depending on what engine you have fitted.

a) If the Vehicle taxation class has NOT changed (i.e. engine size has NOT crossed the 1549cc threshold), write a brief covering letter to the DVLA explaining the change, attach the V5, evidence, put in an envelope and send to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

b) If the vehicle taxation class HAS changed (i.e. the engine size HAS crossed the 1549cc threshold), you will need to apply to retax the vehicle at your local DVLA office. Click here to find your local office. Whilst you can post the information to them, I would recommend visiting in person as you won't lose your documents in the post (or DVLA system), you can explain better in person, and you can tax the car there and then over the counter at the DVLA office. Note that if your car already has tax on it, you can either cancel the tax (and have a refund of the oustanding amount) and start a fresh 6/12 month duty period, OR simply pay the difference and continue with your existing duty period (you'll still be issued a new tax disc, but it will expire the same time as your existing one). The DVLA staff will let you know which you can do, and how much it would cost.

Step 5. Insurance
If you have an existing insurance policy, don't forget to inform them of the engine change. They may, or may not, require evidence of the change (in which case, you can use the same evidence required by the DVLA)

Ashy
06-06-2012, 23:10
I have just sent my log book off and followed this bit of info off another forum

Overview
Most of you will use this to update your engine size after an engine change to your Car

, so this guide is primarily written for that. However, most of it still applies for making other changes to your vehicle details.

This is the official way update your vehicle records. Some of you may have done things differently, if so feel free to post your sucesses/fails, but please do not argue the toss with the data given here. This is how DVLA tell you to do it.

You will need:
1. V5C certificate
2. Engine number. This will be stamped on the block somewhere (note, "number" NOT "code". C20XE is NOT an engine number!)
3. Evidence of the change. Forms of evidence are detailed below.

You may also need a stamp, envelope and covering letter. And money if the tax band has changed!

Note Some people get away without providing evidence of the engine change. As this guide follows the official procedure, I have included it. I would recommend it, as not only does it cover your back if the DVLA do request it, but it also backs up the safety of the car - this can also come in useful for future resale, and insurance proof.

Method
Step 1. Record Engine Number
Before undetaking the engine change, make a note of the engine number (location will vary depending on engine, but its usually stamped on the block, near the gearbox). Its much easier to find it before you put the engine IN the car!

Step 2. Get Evidence
Once the engine change has been completed and tested, you'll need to get evidence of the work carried out. This can be in one of a number of formats, but at minimum MUST contain the engine number and capacity (cc). Ideally, for extra DVLA kudos, the evidence should also state that the work has been undertaken to a level that satisfies vehicle safety standards.

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

Note: if the change was done prior to you purchasing the car, and the V5C has not been updated, you may still be asked to provide evidence.

Step 3. Update the V5C.
Complete Section 7, Changes to Current Vehicle of the V5C with the new details, which at minimum must be engine number (28) and cylinder capacity (cc, 24). Sign and date the old keeper box in Section 8, Declaration.

Step 4. Inform the DVLA.
This is where things start to differ depending on what engine you have fitted.

a) If the Vehicle taxation class has NOT changed (i.e. engine size has NOT crossed the 1549cc threshold), write a brief covering letter to the DVLA explaining the change, attach the V5, evidence, put in an envelope and send to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

b) If the vehicle taxation class HAS changed (i.e. the engine size HAS crossed the 1549cc threshold), you will need to apply to retax the vehicle at your local DVLA office. Click here to find your local office. Whilst you can post the information to them, I would recommend visiting in person as you won't lose your documents in the post (or DVLA system), you can explain better in person, and you can tax the car there and then over the counter at the DVLA office. Note that if your car already has tax on it, you can either cancel the tax (and have a refund of the oustanding amount) and start a fresh 6/12 month duty period, OR simply pay the difference and continue with your existing duty period (you'll still be issued a new tax disc, but it will expire the same time as your existing one). The DVLA staff will let you know which you can do, and how much it would cost.

Step 5. Insurance
If you have an existing insurance policy, don't forget to inform them of the engine change. They may, or may not, require evidence of the change (in which case, you can use the same evidence required by the DVLA)

Feck :eek:

Might just tell the of the colour change then and wait to see what happens! :dearme:

Coops
07-06-2012, 09:32
most of us have swapped blocks and heads and gearboxes at least a dozen times, mine are all like for like swaps and it seems crazy to me to have to do anything more than get an MOT for roadworthiness

but again I can see why if some total pikie zip ties a hybusa into his fiat 500, it could cause an issue or two before the next MOT.

Matt Cole
07-06-2012, 13:15
Unfortunately, (and i have looked into this) the rules make it almost impossible for the car to be given a pass especially if you have bought an engine years ago with no receit and the installation is not agreed by a registered repair/test centre. Unless you know the man inspecting the vehicle (ie AA/RAC) then they won't agree to the installation with fear of affecting P.I.

Further from the above rules, any tampering, drilling , cutting or even grinding of the chassis/support members/subframe especially if the vehicle is a monocoque, requires the car to be SVA tested a la, kit car test. It then could be re-registered depending on the nature of the modifications and have to follow the same stringent test an SVA requires. This generally is for vehicles with extensive body/chassis modifications in which there are certain rules relating on length/depth cause and effect of structural changes permitted.

In other words, feck that and tell em the colour only.:eek: