PDA

View Full Version : track car requirements?

frano81
01-06-2012, 21:27
i'm thinking of selling my standard r5 raider, and getting another to just use on the track.
But what are the requirements for a track car? does it need an mot, ect?

Tony Walker
01-06-2012, 22:09
not if you trailor it.

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-06-2012, 14:13
Track car.....

It has to be safe... ie no panels falling off, no sharp bits. MOT/Tax/Insurance is not required.

Ig you intend to use slicks most track days say a rollcage must be fitted (note roll cage not show cage)

You dont need wipers, headlights, indicators, or brake lights (which i think is abit of a grey area), most of us go to novice/open track days, when there are cars there that have no lights its abit daunting following them looking for there brake lights to see when there slowing down and they dont have any can cause a few of putting moments)

Phoenix Autosport
16-06-2012, 21:05
unless you are wanting to compete in a specific class at a very serious level and are desperate to drop every last kilo i would build it to pass an MOT so that you have the option to enjoy the car on the road and drive it to and from shows, track days etc

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-06-2012, 21:23
unless you are wanting to compete in a specific class at a very serious level and are desperate to drop every last kilo i would build it to pass an MOT so that you have the option to enjoy the car on the road and drive it to and from shows, track days etc

:agree: best thing about a road legal car is you can test it... nothing worse than turning up to a track day to find Brakes are f*cked etc...

frano81
16-06-2012, 21:26
thanks for that info guys. ive currently got a decent raider, which would be a shame to pull to bits and thrash around the track, so i think i'll move it to a better home, and get another just for that!

cheers

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-06-2012, 21:31
thanks for that info guys. ive currently got a decent raider, which would be a shame to pull to bits and thrash around the track, so i think i'll move it to a better home, and get another just for that!

cheers

F*ck that, strip & track it... very unlikely to prang it on track so if you change your mind later can remove cage/buckets & fit original interior back in....

or leave it standard and enjoy a gentle track day... look at Big Steve's Raider... that has been around the Nurburgring in the past , & recently Enjoyed a 110mile Very "spirited" drive through france, and did a 2000 mile round trip to the South of France and back...

Phoenix Autosport
16-06-2012, 21:45
one of the best things about the 5 is that it makes a interesting and engaging track drive even in standard form, you dont need big power or lots of speed to get the same feeling as someone who has spent a lot more, i got bought one of those track day experience things last year and i spent most of the day sat in a 911 thinking i wish i could drive my 5 round here instead :laugh::laugh:

Penfold aka The Dealer
16-06-2012, 21:47
one of the best things about the 5 is that it makes a interesting and engaging track drive even in standard form, you dont need big power or lots of speed to get the same feeling as someone who has spent a lot more, i got bought one of those track day experience things last year and i spent most of the day sat in a 911 thinking i wish i could drive my 5 round here instead :laugh::laugh:

Just look at the cup cars, more or less standard power (we can easily get more these days), suspension (Koni yellows are great on track), oe brakes (Plus ducts to cool), stripped interior, rollcage & away you go...

frano81
17-06-2012, 09:42
yeah thats not a bad idea. i supose if i buy another i could be letting myself in for all sorts of issues. best sort out a shopping list!

bod 182
17-06-2012, 10:00
yeah thats not a bad idea. i supose if i buy another i could be letting myself in for all sorts of issues. best sort out a shopping list!
Standard Raider for track put on Goodridge brake lines,grooved and vented discs ie brembo on the front standard discs on the back,DS2500 pads,5.1 brake fluid,Toyo 888 tyres,maybe a bucket seat and harness for the driver and a cage only if you were running slicks but if its a standard Raider i wouldnt bother,do some novice trackdays with MSV get a feel for your car and the track and get some instruction as well on racing lines and braking etc all helps to get good on track:)

olidaviesuk
17-06-2012, 14:46
I would say that if you are using anything over std road tyres on a 5 on the track a half cage is a must, I fact I would NOT take one on the track full stop without one, as if u get it wrong the car is just gonna fold.. Also DON'T use 5.1 in the standard brake system, something like ap600 is much better!

Standard Raider for track put on Goodridge brake lines,grooved and vented discs ie brembo on the front standard discs on the back,DS2500 pads,5.1 brake fluid,Toyo 888 tyres,maybe a bucket seat and harness for the driver and a cage only if you were running slicks but if its a standard Raider i wouldnt bother,do some novice trackdays with MSV get a feel for your car and the track and get some instruction as well on racing lines and braking etc all helps to get good on track:)

bod 182
17-06-2012, 15:26
Im not saying do that im just replying in general to a query that someone has about making a track car,not everyone races cup cars so somebody with a mint raider with ideas of a trackday car may not want to fit a cage and spoil the car so don,t qoute me on anything i put down ive tracked a standard 5 at cadwell with no problems.

olidaviesuk
17-06-2012, 22:07
Not implying that you were mate, just from a personal point of view regarding safety around Motorsport in general, have seen plenty of people in far more modern cars (meaning much more well built with very good rollover and a/b pillar protection) having had offs through no fault of their own and being very lucky to be leaving the track without major injury or worse. The cars being reduced to little more than scrap!

If you roll or have any impact with anything car or crash barrier related in a 5 you are going to come off badly - FACT! (they dont particularly hold together well with a cage in, let alone without) hence if you are thinking of doing more than a casual potter around a track once a year, then it would be remiss not to recommend putting at least a basic rear cage in the car.

Motorsport is dangerous, and you can be the best driver in the world, but that's not to say that you wont skid off the track because of the oil being dropped on the track by the guy going round in the battered up xr2 or similar :crap:

Not to put anyone off trackdays, sprinting, rallying and racing are among the most fun you can have in a 5, and there are peeps on here who do them all, but they'll all tell you safety HAS to be the number one concern!

Im not saying do that im just replying in general to a query that someone has about making a track car,not everyone races cup cars so somebody with a mint raider with ideas of a trackday car may not want to fit a cage and spoil the car so don,t qoute me on anything i put down ive tracked a standard 5 at cadwell with no problems.

bod 182
17-06-2012, 22:43
I will keep quiet hope my 5 will be ok on track its old and crappy has a crappy cage,old steel wheels with Avon bald tyres one old bucket seat from the 80,s and harnesses has a in date fire extinguisher system though thats a plus has now got silly stickers all over it to hold it together and has a coupe badge on the back of it whatever that means?:rolleyes:

olidaviesuk
17-06-2012, 23:12
So you'd rather risk being crippled or worse for the sake of a £200 bolt in half cage and an hour taking the seats out and bolting it in when you want to go on a trackday, enough said :sad2:

I will keep quiet hope my 5 will be ok on track its old and crappy has a crappy cage,old steel wheels with Avon bald tyres one old bucket seat from the 80,s and harnesses has a in date fire extinguisher system though thats a plus has now got silly stickers all over it to hold it together and has a coupe badge on the back of it whatever that means?:rolleyes:

bod 182
18-06-2012, 18:16
So you'd rather risk being crippled or worse for the sake of a £200 bolt in half cage and an hour taking the seats out and bolting it in when you want to go on a trackday, enough said :sad2:
:laugh: JOKER I have a LHD coupe cup car thanks so need to bolt any crap or take any seats out,AS i said in the above was just a guidline not saying thats the route to takeFFS think this thread has ran its course:D

Phoenix Autosport
19-06-2012, 01:08
i recon doing hill climbs would be a bloody good crack in a stripped out 5 as thats all about the power to weight