PDA

View Full Version : 16v to williams conversion

matstearn
29-05-2012, 12:18
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi,

Just a quick question, my 5 has a 16v conversion already done and i am looking to put the williams engine in. I have the williams engine and ecu, can i simply swapt the engine and ecu and away i go? I just want to make sure there are no little differences in the loom or something like that, that will screw me over.

James5
29-05-2012, 12:28

Hi,

Just a quick question, my 5 has a 16v conversion already done and i am looking to put the williams engine in. I have the williams engine and ecu, can i simply swapt the engine and ecu and away i go? I just want to make sure there are no little differences in the loom or something like that, that will screw me over.

Think you will need the engine loom to match the williams ECU you have as there are small difference's I believe from what I have read / seen on the clio16valver forum. Other than that it will swap straight over matey:agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-05-2012, 12:50
True.
Some of the pin locations are different on the Williams ecu.

matstearn
29-05-2012, 21:20

Thanks for the reply, that could have been a pain in the ass!!! On the hunt for a loom then, should be worth it though, then save and research for the turbo conversion :)

Tutuur
29-05-2012, 21:40
If you have the willy loom with it, it won't be a problem!
Just have to switch the pins on the brown and white connector to suit the ones on the car.

James5
29-05-2012, 21:41

Thanks for the reply, that could have been a pain in the ass!!! On the hunt for a loom then, should be worth it though, then save and research for the turbo conversion :)

Not sure its worth the engine change for 15bhp though, its easier to turbo f7p aswell:agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-05-2012, 23:38
Agree with James.
F7p will rev harder than f7r, plus you can pick up a f7p for pennies....

James5
30-05-2012, 07:58
Agree with James.
F7p will rev harder than f7r, plus you can pick up a f7p for pennies....

:agree::coffee:

matstearn
30-05-2012, 14:23

Cheers for the info guys, I bought the car with the 16v conversion already done, it's a really tidy job too. It's just that I have a Williams engine and ecu laying around and I thought I would stick it in. I have been playing with the idea of a turbo conversion and I assumed the Williams engine would be better to turbo?

Coops
30-05-2012, 14:31
Williams is better for the n/a

its technically 'better' to turbo as you get a more square result, higher torque figures. but in real terms there would be very little difference.....the best 1/4 mile on here between P and R is P by miles and most of the boosted lumps that are running are P's

as such it would make sense to turbo the worthless P whilst its out, swap that back in and recoup some costs selling the more expensive R once your done with it.

James5
30-05-2012, 14:34
Williams is better for the n/a

its technically 'better' to turbo as you get a more square result, higher torque figures. but in real terms there would be very little difference.....the best 1/4 mile on here between P and R is P by miles and most of the boosted lumps that are running are P's

as such it would make sense to turbo the worthless P whilst its out, swap that back in and recoup some costs selling the more expensive R once your done with it.

:agree:

Tutuur
30-05-2012, 14:51
Really depends on what your goal is though.
I have driven a f7p turbo and currently have a 2.0 turbo in my 9.

Expect the power delivery to beexactly the same as in n/a application. The P's needs revving...
My R spools way faster and has torque faster too.

It all depends on your goals, however cost and spares wise P would be best...
I just wanted to do something else and sure don't regret it!

HAndy
30-05-2012, 18:38
if your after a fun very responsive car from the word go car, then stick with the f7r and fit throttle bodies and a set of cams, good for around 200bhp,cost wise budget for around £2500 mark in na form,
jenvy tb or the like.( dont pikey mod bike carbs,more hassle than there worth)
set of high lift cams(piper/catcams)
headwork
stand alone ecu
(to push more bhp will need billet crank and mech lifters

or

turbo the f7r/p which will cost around the same money or more depends how far you want to push bhp,but will produce more power £ per £ compared to na.
forged pistons
standard/forged rods
cheap log/ expensive tubular
t28 or t3 or gt 28-30 rollerbearing or journal ,choice comes down to cost and performance gains wanted.
stand alone ecu.

as mentioned
f7r has lower rpm limit but with better low down grunt compared to the f7p, which will give a better spool up, the f7p is more top end power, with low down grunt lacking somewhat compared to the f7r, but bear in mind that if your out for big bhp the higher rpm range of the f7p would be better suited , and will produce less ftlb, which will break the jc5 box sooner or later once you get to the 300+ mark, which should be easy to reach with the right sized turbo. on either engine.
as you've got the williams engine i would use the f7r head/standard cams of the williams and bolt to the f7p block( which can be bought for pennys ) stick a nice big front mount and gt3071r turbo,best of both engines:)

turbo power:cool:

you cant beat the boooosstt:D

and before anyone says blah blah blah is running a said amount of bhp/ftlb i dont know of any f7 engine running 300+ thats got a jc5 bolted on which has lasted 10,000 miles+ or trackday action year in year out without breaking, short burts up the 1/4 miles dont count;)

Coops
31-05-2012, 11:19
the JC5 is as chocolate as the rest of the Renault boxes, I've been through 10 so far of various forms

however the current one has done a record breaking 4k with track and pod use in there as well! what a box!!! :laugh:

its a standard 172 JC5 on 81k when it went in btw taken straight from the doner car

Os8472
31-05-2012, 12:37
AT the end of the day its down to personal choice, do you want an engine that has plenty of low down grunt and fast spool or a rev happy motor.

Either way a turbo'd F7p/r is great fun and worth every penny