PDA

View Full Version : rear callipers on gt turbo

philg
27-05-2012, 16:16
I had a quick look under my car today to try and get to grips with my brake issues, basically my car dives to one side if i jump on the brakes at about 60 mph, the car dives to the left then squirms a bit.

I seem to have a problem with the drivers rear calliper, if i turn the disk the passenger side has very little resistance but the drivers side on the other hand is quite hard to turn. I have disconnected the hand brake and wound in the part that pushes against the pad, everything was nice and free again, as soon as i crank on the hand brake a few times the disk starts to bind again. Im guessing that one side is not releasing fully on the ratchet thats inside the calliper.

Think i need to get these replaced before i start on a larger master cylinder which i thought may be the problem for this diving over under heavy braking.

Is it a new Joby or is there something i can try to release it?

Would the disks binding cause my car to react like this to?

Im sure i read you can fit Peugeot calliper or saxo as they are just the same. Im sure someone will correct me.

markg
27-05-2012, 16:39
206 GTI rear calipers are the same. Also I have seen adverts where it says 205 GTI 1.9, Saxo (VTR/VTS) 106 GTI are all the same part. Best bet is to look up some ads/pictures on ebay and compare to what you have.

I had a sticking brake piston on a Ford Galaxy. The mechanic I use put WD40 on the piston. Whilst it fixed the issue and the brake no longer was binding I'm not sure it was such a good idea. Personally I wouldn't mess about when it comes to brakes, theres a good chance yours are 20+ years old. Chuck a new caliper on and be done with it. If you shop around you should be able to get a recon unit for a reasonable price :agree:.

J$£5GTT
27-05-2012, 20:24
as above,if in doubt replace,rears are prone to sticking and every now an then need a little help to free up,it there old just as well replace with recons and job done!
:):agree:

philg
28-05-2012, 11:00
[QUOTE=J$£5GTT;272261]as above,if in doubt replace,rears are prone to sticking and every now an then need a little help to free up,it there old just as well replace with recons and job done!
:):agree:[/

It does seem that's the case with mine, it does not seem to be releasing the hand brake ratchet properly, therefore my disk is constantly binding a bit