PDA

View Full Version : high speed handling issue

Manparis
23-05-2012, 18:26
does anyone else get a floating feeling in the steering at 90/100 mph+. got pretty much new. suspension wheels wishbones. track end ends etc. just feels bit weird some times. thought it just might be the 80 s areo dynamics which lifting the front end up. any ideas anyone

Brigsy
23-05-2012, 18:29
Both of mine feel pretty stable at higher speeds, is the tracking correct??

Manparis
23-05-2012, 18:33
that is something I need to do as not been done since both track rods were done. but had them done by Ian (ep ) couple. of years ago but could never find anyone who could get a clamp under the back wheel. would the tracking caus. these kind of issues?

Brigsy
23-05-2012, 18:48
Its worth getting done mate. Some of the garages round here have the lights that clamp onto the inside of the rim, makes life easier. You only really need to do the front wheels on a gtt as nothing is adjustable at the back anyway:)

Also worth checking the steering uj for wear too.

Manparis
23-05-2012, 18:52
steering uj ? sorry still novice mechanic

Brigsy
23-05-2012, 18:57
The coupling that joins the rack to the steering column matey, the earlier gtt's have a block that has two rubber bushes in that wear and cause vague steering. The later ones have a universal joint which seems better and doesnt seem to wear.

When parked is there any play in the steering, by this i mean if you move steering wheel do the wheels move straight away or do you have to take up slack first before the wheels move??

Manparis
23-05-2012, 19:02
the wheels don't move straight the way. I think you may have solved it mate. its a 1989 f plate so would tgat be thr old version.? and is it just the joint or will it need a new rack too?

Brigsy
23-05-2012, 19:18
Just jack it up and investigate mate :) rack may be worn too but chances are it will just be the uj. I dare say it will be the block setup like

Manparis
23-05-2012, 19:58
ok ill have a look many thanks for your advice anyways

Renault 5 GT Turbo
23-05-2012, 20:19
To give you a few more clues, jack up the drivers side, remove the wheel for better access and get under the car. You are looking for a grey rubber cover (boot) that covers the steering column to rack that houses the universal joint.
If you look directly at the back of the engine bay from underneath the car, a third of the way across the car from the drivers side you will see the grey rubber boot.

Peal the boot back with the tabs and you will find your universal joint.

markey b
23-05-2012, 20:28
have u got foglights or just holes?

Manparis
23-05-2012, 20:35
I have fogs ?