PDA

View Full Version : Carburettor

Jimmy5
18-05-2012, 21:57
Hi, is there a guide on here at how to setup a carburetor? Or a guide to show how to get the carb to factory settings?

Reason I ask is i reckon carb on my 5 needs properly setting up. Basically when i acelerate in a lower gear the car has abit of a delay before the power comes in. As if its under fuelling. Similarly when the car is not fully warmed up it stutters and I have to give it a little bit of choke to stop it wanting to kangaroo!

Now im taking the 5 to the rolling road tomorrow on the rtoc meet so am hoping that the print out may give an idea on whats wrong with the carb.

Cheers

James

Jimmy5
20-05-2012, 12:16
Found the guide but cant view the photos! Is there anyone local to sheffield who would be able to help with overhauling the carb?

Thundercat
20-05-2012, 12:50
Hi James, i'd offer to do it when you pop over next, get the gaskets bought.:agree:

GTphil
20-05-2012, 13:16
not sure if you have already tried it but whilst stood next to the car, press the accelerator flat to the floor (obviuosly with the engine off) at the same time grab the throttle butterfly and see if your actually getting full throttle when you floor it.;)

Worth a shot.

They do however run so much better after a full stripdown clean and proper jetting;)

michael tierney
20-05-2012, 13:40
sounds like your accellerator pump is'nt working correctly!

GTphil
20-05-2012, 15:41
:)
sounds like your accellerator pump is'nt working correctly!

:agree:
That's the square bit on the drivers side of the carb, has a little flat rod that moves in and out, sometimes worth giving that bit a clean with wd40 then use some spray lube to try and make it move freely.

This happened to mine after a long period stood.

Dave Reed
20-05-2012, 16:03
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

As found In the articals section, first post ;) lol

Jimmy5
20-05-2012, 17:45
Cheers for advice guys, will have a gander at the accelarator pump. Car made 90bhp on rtoc day with fuelling all over the place! Jon will drop you a line in the week! Cheers james