PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

monocat
18-05-2012, 17:31
Hi, I am wondering if anybody can offer some advice for this:

I had the clutch exchanged, because i had to push the clutch pedal really hard to change gears. It was quite hard to press and it was reacting (car moving) right when i released the pedal from the floor, only if for one inch. In fact, i made a hole in the carpet with my clutch pedal because of this. Needless to say, riding the car in traffic congestion was quite hard. Not one time the engine went off and I had to start it again. This was quite far from the experience I had with the clutch pedal when I bought the car 2 years ago.

Now the clutch is exchanged, but it behaves exactly the same. My mechanic says, that the clutch cable and clutch pedal are OK and he does not know what to do next.

Today he told me that he tried to exchange the clutch for Sachs one (the first one was Valeo) and the pedal behaviour is still the same. He told me that now he will try to exchange the "clutch lead bearing" (I do not know if i translate this properly) and then he does not know what more can be done.

Any ideas?

Dave Reed
18-05-2012, 17:38
I would say either the cable has streached or the rachet mechanism on the pedal needs resetting (or possibly broken).

Sparkie
18-05-2012, 20:06
I had the clutch exchanged, because i had to push the clutch pedal really hard to change gears. It was quite hard to press and it was reacting (car moving) right when i released the pedal from the floor, only if for one inch. In fact, i made a hole in the carpet with my clutch pedal because of this. Needless to say, riding the car in traffic congestion was quite hard. ?

this sounds suspiciously like a valeo volvo 480 turbo clutch.
1) hole in the carpet
2) hard to push the clutch pedal down.
3) when taking your fott off the clutch, the pedal 'pops' about 1 inch off the florr and pushes your foot off.....

sounds normal for a volvo 480 turbo clutch to me....

was the valeo clutch number 801015 ?

LiamR
19-05-2012, 09:00
Maybe a soft pedal conversion to ease the problems??

Jimmy_GTT
19-05-2012, 20:55
I also suspect the rachet on the pedal.
It won't cure the 'hard to push' issue but the other 2.
And also check the cable. If it is an aftermarket one than it could be that the length is not correct.
(You can also try to insert a nut or some spacers to the cable where it connects to the fork. The nut or the spacer have to be cut.)

The hardness could be cured with a good cable or with the soft pedal conversion.

We have talked several months ago that we could meet somewhere. Maybe I can help you in some questions.

monocat
21-05-2012, 00:43
Thanks for the answers.

Jimmy, it would be great to meet and discuss.
I will wait for the car to return from the service and will let you know.