PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y Engine bulding

j4ck-dw
17-05-2012, 16:26
Well basically thort I'd give it ago, it's only nuts an bolts at the end of the day, I understand seals will need replacing and gaskets but wheres the best place to get them.

Like : Oil pump where to get or just leave the old one.
Best head gasket set.
Is it worth replacing pistons an liners although they seem fine.
Bearings and seals.

Just some general info really what to look out for or is it just worth me handing it over to a garage ?

Alex
17-05-2012, 16:41
I haven't built an engine for a while now but last time I did I bought the gaskets from GSF and the bearings from the local engine shop. The oil pump internals I bought from KTR although you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere now? If you do need P&L's try Mike 16v?

Other than that grab the Haynes and away you go! :agree:

J$£5GTT
18-05-2012, 18:21
all the help and information you want is on here!!! thats what rtoc is about.
stacks of answers in the bowels of rtoc :):agree:

GTphil
18-05-2012, 19:25
Take your time with it and keep everything uber clean when build time comes around.

Simple things I found helped a lot, having all the tools to hand and making sure they were spotless before starting, having all the gaskets/seals/grease/lube/engine oil all to hand also.

Make sure all the important things have been checked properly, get the crank checked by and engineer, also the cylinder head, consider re-lapping the valve seats. Use new nuts and bolts wherever possible.

meca parts is a good place to source the oil pump internals.;)

The engineer should be able to get you the main and big end bearings and also the thrust washers.

I built my first engine last year and I was suprised how straight forward it was when it came to bolting it all up. I had a few issues with sone second hand parts and I would have been better off buying new in the first place.

The motor has successfully done over 3k and 25 or so q/m runs pulling a 13.2 at just under 107mph so I must have done something right:laugh: and I'm no means an expert:ashamed:

GT Josh
18-05-2012, 21:54
Take your time with it and keep everything uber clean when build time comes around.

Simple things I found helped a lot, having all the tools to hand and making sure they were spotless before starting, having all the gaskets/seals/grease/lube/engine oil all to hand also.

Make sure all the important things have been checked properly, get the crank checked by and engineer, also the cylinder head, consider re-lapping the valve seats. Use new nuts and bolts wherever possible.

The engineer should be able to get you the main and big end bearings and also the thrust washers.

I built my first engine last year and I was suprised how straight forward it was when it came to bolting it all up. I had a few issues with sone second hand parts and I would have been better off buying new in the first place.

The motor has successfully done over 3k and 25 or so q/m runs pulling a 13.2 at just under 107mph so I must have done something right:laugh: and I'm no means an expert:ashamed:

He did very well. A sense of achievement well earned! :agree: Do it well Jack, you will reap the rewards.

gttjames
19-05-2012, 09:44

sounds like you did very well! Bit that makes me nervous is doing the liners as never been near any. Looking like im going to be doing my 1st rebuild

gttjames
19-05-2012, 09:58
also when on youtube i came across a guy that had done about 50 vids, a complete step by step in rebuilding a golf 1.8 gti mk3 i think. No vids on youtube of the c1j - maybe any member who can do there own rebuild should do something similar, would be great for alot of members on here

GTphil
19-05-2012, 10:00
Yes, they did me also, I got a slight bit of mayo after the first few start up's I was convinced it was the liner seals:wasntme:

Almost pulled the whole lot apart, ended up doing a few miles (on the recommendation of a well known member:agree:) and it went away, was probably more to do with the fact the block had been wrapped in a bin liner for the best part of 4 weeks with just the crank Sat in it, must have got a bit of moisture inside.

The first time I drove it was to the mot station, I was like a cat on hot bricks:wasntme: listening for every slight little noise. I did 400 miles with no turbo then took it to pod with the blower attached and did over 25runs slowly upping the boost. Had loads of carb issues but eventually managed a clean run or two.