PDA

View Full Version : track rod ends

richi
30-11-2008, 19:01
just got the nut off from the hub, now im trying to get the threaded rod to drop out. i have tried moving the steering wheel left to right and loads of wd40 but cant get it to drop any other ways or just keep going at it thanks

tiff_lee
30-11-2008, 19:21
You tried using a balljoint splitter?
or you could try putting the nut back on a few turns (enough to stop it slipping on thread but still have large enough gap underneath to allow movement) and hit the top of it although not the most ideal way.

Nick k
30-11-2008, 22:19
You tried using a balljoint splitter?
or you could try putting the nut back on a few turns (enough to stop it slipping on thread but still have large enough gap underneath to allow movement) and hit the top of it although not the most ideal way.

As above, get barry the blow lamp on it and then **** it with a big hammer (without hitting the wing as you swing it :D )

Brigsy
30-11-2008, 22:25
A decent scissor ball joint splitter will make this an easy job.

Hammer usually works, but beware i belted one so hard in the past i bent the arm on the hub down, not good....

richi
30-11-2008, 22:32
thats what im worried about bending it lol, is it not moving for the reason that the threaded rod is just stuck in the hole of thwe hub if that makes sence,

hence the reason im moving the steering wheel left and right just trying to get it to ease up and move,

left it soaking in wd40 so hopefully that will help

Brigsy
30-11-2008, 22:38
Buy one of these, will get it out in no time.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ball-joint-splitter-scissor-type_W0QQitemZ370111065722QQihZ024QQcategoryZ30917 QQcmdZViewItem

mr bean aka pete
30-11-2008, 22:42
ive found soaking the ball joint with wd40 and then hitting the hub with a hammer right next to where it bolts threw the hub if failing that try heating the hub up next to the track rod end it may loosen it

GTphil
01-12-2008, 18:22
i just wind the lock nut up untill it reaches the top just above the threaded rod so as not to damage it then beat the f*$k out of it!:mad:

mostly it works a treat, if not track rods are only pennys!

Nick k
01-12-2008, 23:40
i just wind the lock nut up untill it reaches the top just above the threaded rod so as not to damage it then beat the f*$k out of it!:mad:

mostly it works a treat, if not track rods are only pennys!

LOL. my approach too. :D

richi
02-12-2008, 16:48
sounds like a plan lol will tell you if i love you or hate ya soon phil :)