PDA

View Full Version : Laws on replicating stickers

Bigfoot
13-05-2012, 22:59
Just got a message on eBay from a member which is put as renault group stating this:

---------

Madam, mister

These images are the property of Renault or of third parties having granted Renault authorization to use them.

You don't have authorization to sell these products.

Any such practice is strictly forbidden by law, and punishable by up to three years’ imprisonment and a fine of up to €300,000.

Please delete immediately all contents relating to this illegal practice.

Very warmly,

Renault Group.

----------

All these stickers are created from scratch without any photocopying of the originals. There are thousands of stickers which are replicated on eBay, anyone got an idea on the laws on this?

Thank you in advance.

Dale

JRP
13-05-2012, 23:14
Just got a message on eBay from a member which is put as renault group stating this:

---------

Madam, mister

These images are the property of Renault or of third parties having granted Renault authorization to use them.

You don't have authorization to sell these products.

Any such practice is strictly forbidden by law, and punishable by up to three years’ imprisonment and a fine of up to €300,000.

Please delete immediately all contents relating to this illegal practice.

Very warmly,

Renault Group.

----------

All these stickers are created from scratch without any photocopying of the originals. There are thousands of stickers which are replicated on eBay, anyone got an idea on the laws on this?

Thank you in advance.

Dale

Ask for there contact number, it sounds like a ****y 30 y/o virgin with nothing better to do, than try to scare you...

Ian S
13-05-2012, 23:18
Which stickers?

Do Renault still sell them?

They quoted € so not Renault UK. Are you selling in Europe?

Sounds more like a message from someone else selling these to frighten away competition.

If it was from Renault HQ then they'd have had eBay remove the ad and cancel your eBay registration wouldn't they?

Bigfoot
13-05-2012, 23:20
It does sound strange to post at midnight. Was going to ask them for information on their copyright and contact information, but wanted other peoples opinions first. There are so many replications on eBay as well, have they sent message to everyone I wonder.

Will see if I can find out more info on that account from eBay as they have also only registered today as well.

Bigfoot
13-05-2012, 23:22
Which stickers?

Do Renault still sell them?

They quoted € so not Renault UK. Are you selling in Europe?

Sounds more like a message from someone else selling these to frighten away competition.

If it was from Renault HQ then they'd have had eBay remove the ad and cancel your eBay registration wouldn't they?

The stickers are for the renault clio williams, these are not sold any more from renault. I am selling worldworld. There was a person in a french forum who had replicated these who were trying to charge about twice the price im asking for them, but couldn't find any info when somebody said about this.

Thats what I was thinking about why go to the buyer when they can cancel through eBay

Ian S
13-05-2012, 23:30
I guess to be sure you could ask Renault yourself.

As JRP posted, ask for the credentials of the message sender. It might be just those of some French Renault office. Then you can get the details yourself for that office and contact them direct and ask if they sent a message via eBay messages.

Or ask a higher Renault office.

Or ignore it and wait for any further action.

I think they don't allow pattern parts in France / Europe. But that maybe only applies to current available parts.

Bigfoot
13-05-2012, 23:32
Cheers for your help, will let you know the outcome :agree:

andybond
14-05-2012, 00:27

Thank you in advance.

Dale

Technically speaking you dont have to do a straight copy of the product. You are impinging on intellectual property ( IP ) of Renault. Also if you used the fontface that Renault used - that shouldn't be in the public domain either.

I wouldnt shout to Renault that you are using it - I would keep stum until a cease and desist letter arrives at your doorstep.

Bigfoot
14-05-2012, 10:38
Seems that I got the message in my inbox on the clio16vforum.

Got another PM from somebody on Williams forum saying its from a member who I seemed to have read got banned from the club and trying to cause trouble. Plus they put a name in the PM and its from the Vice President of Renault, Florence de Goldfiem, which seems a bit odd them sending out a message on a club forum.

Penfold aka The Dealer
14-05-2012, 10:42
Seems that I got the message in my inbox on the clio16vforum.

Got another PM from somebody on Williams forum saying its from a member who I seemed to have read got banned from the club and trying to cause trouble. Plus they put a name in the PM and its from the Vice President of Renault, Florence de Goldfiem, which seems a bit odd them sending out a message on a club forum.

A vice president of renault is on a clwilliams forum.... Abit strange considering that car hasnt been sold for god knows how long (google the name to check if its legit)

It all sounds silly, i am suprised that there going down this route to get in contact with you...

Bigfoot
14-05-2012, 10:45
They would also contact eBay to ban the auction which will wait and see really

markg
14-05-2012, 10:57
I would have thought if this was legit then a company the size of Renault would do this through their legal team. I would have expected you to have received something a bit more official than a message via ebay.

Sparkie
14-05-2012, 12:48
if you are selling on ebay, the company will contact you via ebay.

i was selling some sealey stuff cheap on there, and used a standard 'image' that everyone else was using. - all the other people were distributors and within 12hours id had a message from sealey saying id be due legal action if i didnt remove it immediately. it was pretty official looking...

i think someone is pulling your chain.

Bigfoot
14-05-2012, 12:52
Cheers all, going to leave them on eBay until further notification from eBay, got a message for my other auction at gone 1am, somebody is definately sleep deprived if sending out messages at that time, either in UK or in France as they say they are.

Eugein Offord
14-05-2012, 19:46
3 years in prison..:laugh::laugh:...maybe in france but not england......the full penalty is transportation ..............:)

clee
14-05-2012, 19:56
Someone is yanking your chain ...But we'll all still pop over and see you in the Bastille ,just let us know the visiting hours ..remember they are sometimes an hour behind :D

Big Steve - Raider
14-05-2012, 21:02
100% Flannel! :laugh:

If you read that e-mail it reads like one of those ones from Nigeria!

Put the kettle on for another :coffee: Dale!

T.K
15-05-2012, 07:42
Obvious BS is obvious!

Ignore it.

Phoenix Autosport
15-05-2012, 21:36
But sirs this is legitimate
http://www.edwardb.co.uk/webair/images/fonejacker.jpg

Alex
16-05-2012, 14:35
:laugh: