PDA

View Full Version : what wastegate?

SCHWARTZ
11-05-2012, 11:54
Bought another turbo but the penny is welded shut so thinking of using an external wastegate. What one is best to go for? I have been offered a 38mm tial one but don't know if its any good or what its rated to, looking at running 1.5 2bar absolute max.

JP Racing
11-05-2012, 12:17
I think I'm right in saying the smaller the wastegate you use the more boost you should run so the less gasses needing to flow though the wastegate so at 1.5 bar you should be safe with a small wastegate but if you wanted to turn the boost down to say 5 psi it might struggle to hold the boost and spike to maybe a few psi past that :) so a 38mm should be ok if you only plan to run the higher boost. I have a demon Motorsport one and looks just like a tial but not used it yet so not sure how good it is but they are cheap :) always hear good things about tial so you pay more for piece of mind :)

Logg
11-05-2012, 12:37
I run a demon Motorsport wastegate 38mm. It does the job but when I didn't use the car for a few weeks I did find it would stick a little. So 1,000,000 psi could of happened if it it wasn't for me having a boost cut set at 26psi but after ten mins of driving it's been fine since. Also I've found I've slight blow by the piston.

If youve got the cash I'd say got for a good brand if not make sure you have a boost cut in place to save your engine.

I run from 12psi-24psi on my one.

r5 rich
11-05-2012, 13:56
be VERY careful of the tial as there are alot of fakes going about as cheap chinese copies. Turbosmart are a very good product if needing one

SCHWARTZ
11-05-2012, 14:42
I think I may just make 1 good rear housing out of the 2 I have as there were no probs with it just that this new turbo has the penny welded shut :rolleyes: