PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Car

SirSamuelOfBuca
28-04-2012, 14:14
My 5's paintjob is not the best. Been thinking about giving it a wrap in gloss white. Doing it my self. Wrap is about £160. Seems my 5 had a paint job maybe 4-5 years ago but to someone as anal as myself its a little to rough around the edges for my liking.

Anyone else do this cant be to difficult to get a decent finish?

J$£5GTT
28-04-2012, 15:08
i think it would be much easier for yourself to rub the car down and prime and prep it and have it blown over for minimal cost,not the cheapest job but a decent one for the price,get what you pay for and all.

i have a mate with a wrapping company and theres a bit involved to getting it looking sweet,think unless you know what your doing it will end up looking like that window tint that spotty danny down the road has fitted...:laugh:

:):agree:

Penfold aka The Dealer
28-04-2012, 15:58
Wrapping panels such as bonnet is a piece of p*ss... How ever... Archs are hard as you often get crease marks or have to cut the vinyl abit to make fit...then you get arsey bits like the bumper... To wrap them slotted groves on the front & rear bumper is something for a pro only.... Let alone doing the roof & windscreen in 1 piece...

Also you will want decent quality vinyl... Prices to get a full car done pro is £800-1350 for a GTT (matt silver was higher price, gloss red or white was cheapest)

I do like wrapping but its cheaper to get a full blow over... Of for the same price £1350 you could have a pro paint shop take the kit of & paint the car, door shuts etc....

dangerous dave
28-04-2012, 16:01
i think the price of wrapping take the royal p155.. they theres a few demos where they wrap the cars and there a few guys on it.. they make out the wrap costs mega money, feck off it does, i bet that sh1ts as cheap as feck if you in the trade, and then the run the prices along side full resprays..

2k to wrap a car or more..

do one, im not paying that..

a painter would spend more time and use more skill than some c*nt putting on a sticker.. im not saying anyone can do it, but i value a good painter/bodyshop guy over any stickerboy..

dangerous dave
28-04-2012, 16:04
Wrapping panels such as bonnet is a piece of p*ss... How ever... Archs are hard as you often get crease marks or have to cut the vinyl abit to make fit...then you get arsey bits like the bumper... To wrap them slotted groves on the front & rear bumper is something for a pro only.... Let alone doing the roof & windscreen in 1 piece...

Also you will want decent quality vinyl... Prices to get a full car done pro is £800-1350 for a GTT (matt silver was higher price, gloss red or white was cheapest)

I do like wrapping but its cheaper to get a full blow over... Of for the same price £1350 you could have a pro paint shop take the kit of & paint the car, door shuts etc....

i think they pull out prices from thin air, if you look like you have money or your cars fancy, it costs more.. with most painters, a wings a wing and its one price for all in most cases..

GTphil
28-04-2012, 16:10
Wrap it in a different colour, say poo brown, then at least if you don't like it you can just peel it off:smokin:

Wrapping to me seems like one of those fad things that in the end turn out crap, a bit like that matt black business, looks ok at first, look at it in a year and you will end up thinking why did I do that:cry:

GTphil
28-04-2012, 16:13
You never know tho, you could start a poo brown trend:agree:

SirSamuelOfBuca
28-04-2012, 16:58
Guy on pistonheads wrapped his Volvo 480 cost him 200quid took 3 days and looks mint. So I just fancied something different :-)

I might do it when we get some good weather just for the hell of it. Lol :-)

Tony Walker
28-04-2012, 18:57
Photos always make a car look better than it is in person.

djinuk
28-04-2012, 19:36
you answered the question in your first post.

If you are anal.. dont get a car wrapped as the finish isnt for the average anal kinda guy.

Ricardo
28-04-2012, 19:45
Was gonna bring this up with the committee but a friend of a friend wraps anything in vinyl from car bits to cars.... Business is slow so asked me as i belong to a car club to see if anyone would be interested. Rough, and i mean a rough price to wrap say the first 3 cars that are club members something in the region of £600 (this was for a Clio) but would wrap an R5 i imagine

Penfold aka The Dealer
28-04-2012, 20:05
Was gonna bring this up with the committee but a friend of a friend wraps anything in vinyl from car bits to cars.... Business is slow so asked me as i belong to a car club to see if anyone would be interested. Rough, and i mean a rough price to wrap say the first 3 cars that are club members something in the region of £600 (this was for a Clio) but would wrap an R5 i imagine

Could he wrap a scooter?...

5teve L
28-04-2012, 20:46
Having seen 3 cars with wrap, one was a carbon roof, the other two were a pastel yellow Volvo C30 & gloss black Porsche, from a distance they look great, close up you see the inevitable joins/overlaps & also I bet it scratches if you use the wrong sort of cleaning gear (Clio boys should be ok :cooter:) I would paint it unless I was just going for say a carbon look roof.

dangerous dave
28-04-2012, 21:35
I think it's something for the rich boys, they fancy there car some silly colour for a show, gumball rally etc and then they peel it off 5k is nothing to them.

J$£5GTT
29-04-2012, 14:32
christmas presents are for wrapping cars are for painting

gttjames
29-04-2012, 16:06
My 5's paintjob is not the best. Been thinking about giving it a wrap in gloss white. Doing it my self. Wrap is about £160. Seems my 5 had a paint job maybe 4-5 years ago but to someone as anal as myself its a little to rough around the edges for my liking.

Anyone else do this cant be to difficult to get a decent finish?

rough around the edges? Wraps not for you mate.

The 5 is a pretty square car so yer panels are easier than most, bonnet will be ok,but any corners or curves and yourl need to know what your doing to make it look half decent.

Again its like with anything, price depends on job normally, the best out there will remove all trim and handles etc possible so you wont see any edges, this way it looks good. But most cheaper quotes will do it all in place and trim round badges and handles etc and yourl be able to see edges. Like said find a mate who wants a pj at the weekend or a cash job, theres plenty of friendly places about that like to keep projects etc going so will help you out where they can

Ricardo
01-05-2012, 08:12
Could he wrap a scooter?...

Yes mate, he's actually wrapping a race motorbike at the moment

James5
01-05-2012, 08:26
Having seen 3 cars with wrap, one was a carbon roof, the other two were a pastel yellow Volvo C30 & gloss black Porsche, from a distance they look great, close up you see the inevitable joins/overlaps & also I bet it scratches if you use the wrong sort of cleaning gear (Clio boys should be ok :cooter:) I would paint it unless I was just going for say a carbon look roof.

Yeah I had my 5 gtt roof vinly wrapped with carbon fibre weave stuff (my roof had a balding spot no laquer peel just balding:laugh:. I had it done professionally aswell looked ok, but were the joins had overlapped it started to come away a little

Here's some pic's of mine when I had it done

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/C12%20GTT/April%202011/SAM_2041.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/C12%20GTT/April%202011/SAM_2035.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/C12%20GTT/April%202011/SAM_2023.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/GTTJames/C12%20GTT/April%202011/SAM_2022.jpg

Tony Walker
01-05-2012, 19:20
looks smart :D

dangerous dave
01-05-2012, 19:32
that does look the shizzle

SirSamuelOfBuca
01-05-2012, 20:00
Looks good mate!

Junglist
01-05-2012, 20:06
Can you peel it off if you wanna change ?.

TNT ANDY
01-05-2012, 20:07
Wow

Who's done it?

How much?

James5
01-05-2012, 20:16
Can you peel it off if you wanna change ?.

Not quiet as simple as that as the glue on the vinyl if not removed with the correct stuff will prob pull of the paintwork underneath

James5
01-05-2012, 20:21
Wow

Who's done it?

How much?

Ref whom done the work he was a member on here called Keith think his username was Jibb, him and his brother run a sign shop over in Kent, bexleyheath way cost me just over £200 for them to fit it and they done a fecking good job, top blokes. They done my entire roof the a pillars and around the lower part of the windscreen.

Markey Mark BD could prob tell you more were he is based as Mark has done a fair bit of work on his 5 over the years

scratcher
01-05-2012, 23:49
How bad is the paint on the car? Is it peeling and badly scratched, or just have the odd run and a bit dull?
Magic can happen with the right polishes and pads. Maybe not a mirical but deffo big things!

Like the others said, if you're that anal about it, a wrap isn't for you. I haven't seen one that I'd want. Even a new Focus RS500.