PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension Transplant

Woznaldo
26-04-2012, 12:33
I've been slowly getting the bits and pieces together for a wide track conversion based on Clio 172 parts but, to make it worthwhile I need to improve the rear suspension too. To that end I'm thinking about transplanting the rear beam from the 172 also.

I know the 172 beam isn't a straight swap, far from it, but it will obviously compliment the new front track perfectly. Spacers on the std GTT beam won't be enough and put additional strain on the wheel bearings and Clio 1s were never sold in Oz and their rear beam weight means shipping cost would make it prohibitive.

The question I have is whether it's better to transplant the rear section of the 172 floorpan together with the suspension or modify the 172 beam to fit the GTT floorpan?

I intend to fit the MC Racing MAXI Kit to cover the extra track knowing that the kit will need to be massaged a little also for the extra width.

Thoughts?

Bigfoot
26-04-2012, 12:45
Not worth trying to find a Renault 19 or are they rare over there.

Andrew Cooke
26-04-2012, 13:11
You're making yourself a lot of work there, the 172 has vertical rear dampers and coil springs that sit on perches on the floor. Your best bet will be to turret the rear arches and fit coil over dampers. You'd need to dream up some way of bolting the 172 brackets onto the GTT floor. I have a GTT and 172 rear sat at home, let me know if you want any comparisons.

Woznaldo
26-04-2012, 13:33
Bigfoot, there were a few 19 sold over here but all basic 1.7 models.

Andrew, I know I'm taking on a fair bit of work but the work I can do myself and I already have the 172 (front end damage) here. I agree that coilovers are the way to go with a turreted rear end.

My biggest concern would be maintaining the alignment.

If I could pull it all off though, theres more adjustment of Toe and Camber than a GTT beam (i.e. some) so should be able to play with the set up a bit more.

Woznaldo
04-10-2012, 14:55
I finally pulled the Rear Beam of the 172 and have taken a heap of measurements. I have an idea of how I would like to mount it on my GTT but it will involve making up some custom brackets as well as turreting the rear end.

Tony Walker
04-10-2012, 19:29
Hey, dont know if this is of any use, but i noticed while working on a punto that it had independant rear suspension with coil springs and an anti roll bar, should be much more adjustable i would of thought?
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=28340&highlight=punto

Tony Walker
04-10-2012, 19:30
Dont need seperate mounts for dampers. its all one unit, just have to mount it to the floor somehow? i didnt get any track width measurements tho :(

Tony Walker
04-10-2012, 19:42
its also upside down in the pic incase you were wondering lol.

Woznaldo
05-10-2012, 10:48
Thanks Tony, I did find your thread while I was trying to re-find this one. I think that rear beam will be rarer than rocking horse poo as the car wasn't sold here, or at least I don't think they were?

I did a great deal of measuring today and I think I can make it work. There are a few issues that will need to be addressed.

- The lateral beam that contains the Anti-Roll Bar is further back from the beam pivot. What this means is, it may foul on the exhaust, which may have to be re-routed.

- The Aux Fuel Tank may also get fouled for the same reason. That may be an easier fix just by switching to the Campus Fuel Pipe.

So, a fair bit of fabrication required but, for me at least, the result will mean I then have access to readily available supply of 172/182 Rear Beams. Not that they fail... ....ever!

The extra track and adjustability will be worth the effort. :coffee: