PDA

View Full Version : My car hates me.

GT Josh
25-04-2012, 10:20
My fuel level got low yesterday. So the reserve tank emptied. Resulting in fuel pissing everywhere for an unknown reason. Looks like it's coming from the fuel filter area. Not sure wheter to just fill it up and never let it get low or fix it. Or bypass it. Gremlins are just reeling off one after another :cry:

Nottswoody
25-04-2012, 10:36
All part of owning a 5 I'm afraid be very carefull when tightening the pipes as I had a fuel leak too and when I went to tighten the pipes up no one told me the fixings to the pump are bloody plastic and I snapped it.. A £100 pound expensive lesson.. Gently dose it..

GT Josh
25-04-2012, 11:21
All part of owning a 5 I'm afraid be very carefull when tightening the pipes as I had a fuel leak too and when I went to tighten the pipes up no one told me the fixings to the pump are bloody plastic and I snapped it.. A £100 pound expensive lesson.. Gently dose it..

It only leaks when the reserve tank dumps itself, it must be something on that side of things.

Brigsy
25-04-2012, 11:35
Find the leak and fix it, might be the pipework to the reserve pump?? I had a breather pipe come off years ago in that area and every time i went round left hand bends it was spewing fuel out, so fix it properly

GT Josh
25-04-2012, 12:31
Find the leak and fix it, might be the pipework to the reserve pump?? I had a breather pipe come off years ago in that area and every time i went round left hand bends it was spewing fuel out, so fix it properly

Okay mate. I am off work Friday so will see what I can fathom out. :):agree:

GTphil
25-04-2012, 12:44
:bothered:

Get the matches out!:laugh:

like I and Brigsy said check the breather pipes to make sure they are all clear and attached, then check where the reserve pump actually attaches to the reserve tank, when i was underneath it, it was damp around the reserve pump. This was before it ran low on petrol.

Now you know why when i ran mine everyday why i used to always have dirty hands and an empty wallet:rolleyes: all the time. Eventually you will get a break and it will be trouble free for a few months at least.:scared:

GT Josh
25-04-2012, 14:42
Well funny Phil. I'm gonna give u a dead arm and a dead leg when I see you. :(

gtmatt
26-04-2012, 03:11
Once your main tank emptys or when The orange run low light comes on the pump on the reserve tank kicks get the car on axle stands when that kicks in see where the leak is coming from don't worry mate like Said before all about owning a five I'm back Friday bell me if u get stuck :)

GT Josh
27-04-2012, 09:13
Once your main tank emptys or when The orange run low light comes on the pump on the reserve tank kicks get the car on axle stands when that kicks in see where the leak is coming from don't worry mate like Said before all about owning a five I'm back Friday bell me if u get stuck :)

Tah bud :agree:

Alex
27-04-2012, 09:24

I had exactly the same problem, I kept getting black flagged on track days! :laugh:

Dave Reed
27-04-2012, 11:33
You could just do away with it and fit the campus filler neck, saves some weight too :D:D

GTphil
27-04-2012, 11:44
You could just do away with it and fit the campus filler neck, saves some weight too :D:D

I have thought about doing this to mine just never got round to it, I always wondered why Renault went to the trouble of fitting this daft reserve tank anyway, seems like a lot of faff for not much point!

Only reason I can think of is that the gtt's fuel consumption was a lot higher than a normal r5. And this upped the fuel capacity and range.

Only issue with removing it on yours josh is the fact of how o.e the car is externally, if I were you I would be tempted to sort the issue as oppose to getting rid of the reserve tank. Only my opinion tho;)

GT Josh
11-05-2012, 00:30
Fuel leak sorted. Return pipe from reserve tank had fully come off. So when I went round a corner or the reserve tank emptied it pisses fuel everywhere. Thanks to my bro. Once again!