PDA

View Full Version : emulsion....

Sparkie
24-04-2012, 22:32
its been a while since ive done a full engine rebuild.... but ive done a mates engine which he's literally had sat in a car on his drive for about 8 years.
now, whilst running im getting a bit of very watery emulsion in the filler cap, and the breather pot is puffing out steamy fumes. - there is no oil in the water though. and i've resealed the liners with massive amounts of sealant.
am i being too paranoid?

Tony Walker
24-04-2012, 22:34
breathing isnt related maybe needs bedding in for a bit, oil cap hopefully just condensation. Only way to know is get some miles on it :agree: and make sure no coolant loss.

Brigsy
24-04-2012, 22:37
I wouldnt panic too much if the oil and coolant are clean, get some miles on it and monitor the situation. Get the rings bedded in and breather smoke will stop. The breathers on my van gets a bit creamy on short runs but a good blast out always gets rid of it.

Sparkie
24-04-2012, 23:01
i figured that if the block was cracked internally then water would leak into the sump, turn into steam and then come out the breather.

heres a video of it running...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFTE3xXIs8

Sparkie
24-04-2012, 23:05
I wouldnt panic too much if the oil and coolant are clean, .

in mjy mind the oil looks ever so slightly grey in colour....in my mind, going slightly creamy...?

Tony Walker
24-04-2012, 23:14
I think its going to need a few miles on it to really tell. drop the oil out so you can see it properely. Worth doin a change on a new build, unless your feeling tight and put it back in if its fine lol.

Sparkie
24-04-2012, 23:25
this engine has actually been apart more than its been together over the years....
when i dropped the oil, to reseal the liners ( after using dodgy sealant) there was abit of emulsion ontop of the oil.
i also pressurised the water system with the sump off and the rocker off, and all i could see was water leaking from where the waterpump attaches to the head.. - non leaking from the liners into the sump and no cracks ontop of the head casting - hence why i thought it might be an internal crack.

Scoff
24-04-2012, 23:28
remember mate, the oil feed up through the cylinder head feeding the rockers can crack and dump oil in to the water jacket. it needs some miles putting on first of course but its something to consider if the problem doesn't go away.

Sparkie
24-04-2012, 23:37
no oil in the water at all ;)

Scoff
24-04-2012, 23:39
no oil in the water at all ;)

I have it arse about face don't I :)

Sparkie
25-04-2012, 00:01
yep. could get you in trouble elsewhere in life. lol