PDA

View Full Version : Help with decisions!

SirSamuelOfBuca
24-04-2012, 19:32
Hi all.

I got my R5 to get me in to track days/hill climbs/odd drag race and to take along to few shows with my families other classic cars.

Now i intended on stripping it out and fitting rollcage and maybe bucket seats (along with all the performance mods).

I rarely take more than 1 passenger but do I prep my car or leave as standard?!!

I have done alot to it already such as getting it setup and new turbo etc and only have a few jobs left (285 cam to fit and sort brakes, fit new afr gauge).

My mate has a couple of roll cages available for me half and full.

I also have available a volvo 1.7 engine which I could fit over the winter. (although I love the c1J which i think is part of the character of the car)

Car is currently my daily and will be for the next 12 months.

I cant see any cons other than maybe value depreciating??????

Please help me make my mind up haha :)

Cheers

TNT ANDY
24-04-2012, 19:37
Hi all.

I got my R5 to get me in to track days/hill climbs/odd drag race and to take along to few shows with my families other classic cars.

Now i intended on stripping it out and fitting rollcage and maybe bucket seats (along with all the performance mods).

I rarely take more than 1 passenger but do I prep my car or leave as standard?!!

I have done alot to it already such as getting it setup and new turbo etc and only have a few jobs left (285 cam to fit and sort brakes, fit new afr gauge).

My mate has a couple of roll cages available for me half and full.

I also have available a volvo 1.7 engine which I could fit over the winter. (although I love the c1J which i think is part of the character of the car)

Car is currently my daily and will be for the next 12 months.

I cant see any cons other than maybe value depreciating??????

Please help me make my mind up haha :)

Cheers

A couple of things here - firstly - if the track / strip action is just for fun and you are stil using it for you daily, I would suggest stripping the back out and leaving the front as standard. Fully stripped makes for a very uncomfortable experience IMO.

2ndly - big respect for staying with the C1J - everyone knows my love for them and you're right they are the very heartbeat of the 5.

3rdly - if you are going to stick the 285 in, check it's timing and if need be install a vernier at the same time.

Good luck out there.

SirSamuelOfBuca
24-04-2012, 19:41
A couple of things here - firstly - if the track / strip action is just for fun and you are stil using it for you daily, I would suggest stripping the back out and leaving the front as standard. Fully stripped makes for a very uncomfortable experience IMO.

2ndly - big respect for staying with the C1J - everyone knows my love for them and you're right they are the very heartbeat of the 5.

3rdly - if you are going to stick the 285 in, check it's timing and if need be install a vernier at the same time.

Good luck out there.

Cheers for quick reply mate.

I really dont fancy an engine conversion, I love the c1j and find is almost hilarious the power you can get out of them (plus they sound lovely on the overrun). I might buy another c1j and build it up. My mate recommended Sparkie to do CAM for me so he needs to watch out for a PM when i get the bits together lol :)

So you reckon just take back seats out? Tidy it all up fit a roll cage and keep the original seats in the front? I have the red carpet in mine and im anal about keeping things looking smart so would have to see what i am left with.

philg
24-04-2012, 19:44
Strip the bitch to the bones, lighter the better, get the cage in and chuck that old 1.4 in the bin, volvos where it's at, I'm bound to say that :)-

SirSamuelOfBuca
24-04-2012, 19:50
haha. Do i need bucket seats? I think originals are comfy but you really need support I suppose when zipping round a track!

philg
24-04-2012, 20:01
I wish I had the room for 2 gts, I love getting mine out the garage and going for a drive, it's so much fun and as a fun weekend car it's the nuts having said I tried using it as my daily last year for a bit and god it gets uncomfortable. If i was to have used it for more normal driving I would have a nice standard c1j.

Go with your gut, if you want it for events your not driving it much, keep the interior, you can always refit it and go for some racing bits. You can also get good reliable power out the old c1j if built and set up correct.

SirSamuelOfBuca
24-04-2012, 20:06
ye think ill fit cage soon and take back seat on I have storage for it anyway.

Then ill decide on buckets or not :D

Cheers ;-)

Mine is tiring work to drive daily tbh but i wouldnt swap it for anything lol (maybe a turbo2)

philg
24-04-2012, 20:08
ye think ill fit cage soon and take back seat on I have storage for it anyway.

Then ill decide on buckets or not :D

Cheers ;-)

Mine is tiring work to drive daily tbh but i wouldnt swap it for anything lol (maybe a turbo2)

Sounds like a plan, you can always refit the bits you remove :)