PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Gearbox....

GT Josh
21-04-2012, 18:59
So I have been having an issue with the car spitting out 5th gear, then on my way home today it spits and won't go in. No issues with any other gears. All selected fine, with no grunts nothing.

Gets home and drops the oil and the cover off to find the a nut loose in the end plate. The gear itself is fine.

So my questions are,

1. Will my gearbox be knackered
2. I found a circlip with 3 points on it. Where does this go??
3. Also there is bits of brass in the oil and the oil itself is filthy probably due to the syncro grinding. Will my syncro be knackered?
4. If all is fine is there anything I can do to get the nut to never come off again.
5. There is damage from the nut where it has been rubbing against the end plate does this matter??

I will try to get some pictures up ASAP.

Cheers

Josh

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
21-04-2012, 19:11
The clip with 3 points goes inside the 5th gear syncro hub. Brass is from the syncro.
Loctite stops the nuts/bolts inside gearbox coming off,but you have to make sure the threads are dried out completely with something like brake cleaner first.

GT Josh
21-04-2012, 19:22
The clip with 3 points goes inside the 5th gear syncro hub. Brass is from the syncro.
Loctite stops the nuts/bolts inside gearbox coming off,but you have to make sure the threads are dried out completely with something like brake cleaner first.

Cheers Matt
Is the circlip on the inside so you cannot see it or facing you?? As if your looking from the passenger side with the wheel off??

GTphil
21-04-2012, 19:23
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=25787

This thread might be worth a look for the pictures.;)

If you have mullered the syncro for 5th I have a scrap box that we could take fifth from if we needed to:)

The amount of syncro in the oil would worry me slightly.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
21-04-2012, 19:28
Cheers Matt
Is the circlip on the inside so you cannot see it or facing you?? As if your looking from the passenger side with the wheel off??

On the inside mate, yes.
In order of assembly.... 5th gear, brass syncro, hub with clip on the inside, strange looking nut (135nm torque).

GT Josh
21-04-2012, 19:44
On the inside mate, yes.
In order of assembly.... 5th gear, brass syncro, hub with clip on the inside, strange looking nut (135nm torque).

Well then, the syncro is none existent. Bad times.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
21-04-2012, 19:54
If there are brass particles in the lube channel (thing jutting out above 5th gear assembly) that means the particles are all over the internal parts of the gearbox, if not and the brass bits are only contained in the 5th gear housing. Pop another syncro in it and you might be lucky.

GT Josh
21-04-2012, 20:02
If there are brass particles in the lube channel (thing jutting out above 5th gear assembly) that means the particles are all over the internal parts of the gearbox, if not and the brass bits are only contained in the 5th gear housing. Pop another syncro in it and you might be lucky.

Thanks for the heads up pal!

GTphil
21-04-2012, 20:41
if he drained the oil out from the plug at the bottom first, and that was full of syncro would that indicate it's gone all over the box?

GT Josh
22-04-2012, 17:57
Gear box issue sorted, new syncro on 5th and new oil. Tightened up nut and all was well. Thanks alot Matt :agree::agree::agree:;)