PDA

View Full Version : wont start

daveturbo
21-04-2012, 15:48
Trying to start the 5 but it wont.

igave it a try and nothing so took plugs out to check for spark and while doing this it started.put plug back in and went to start it again and nothing.
it only seems to fire up when a plug is taken out.when i pyt them back in it wont fire up.

any help would be great.

cheers all

andybond
21-04-2012, 18:20
Dave, checked for fuel?

Woznaldo
22-04-2012, 01:15
Does it turn over slowly with the spark plug in and quicker with the plug out? If so, it might just be the battery is low or the starter motor is on the way out.

We need more info. When was it running last? Did it always start well before or has it been slowly getting worse? How much fuel in the tank?

Tony Walker
22-04-2012, 08:10
Could just be flooding the car, when uve taken the plugs out the unburnt fuel fouling the plugs may of evaporated then itll start

daveturbo
22-04-2012, 10:47
It was last running a couple of dsys ago.drove it back from the garage where it had a new clutch fitted.
got it home and parked it up.went to it yesterday to take it for a run and would not start.theres half tank of petrol
it does seem to turn faster with plug out. i tryed it 3 times with plug in and out and it fired up all 3 times when plug was out.
ill bang the battery on charge and see if that sorts it...

Cheers for all help chaps

daveturbo
08-05-2012, 18:33
Still having trouble with this.got fuel and spark.just wont fire up.

bloody thing.

sega
08-05-2012, 19:32
Had the same problem once and changed the plugs for new ones and it fired up again. I guess i killed my plugs with the many starting and them getting wet...
Just my 0,2

Tony Walker
08-05-2012, 19:38
how do you try to start it?, choke on? foot to floor? pump the accelerator? Does it sound like its turning quickly enough? does it start with a charger on? or jump leads from another car?

daveturbo
08-05-2012, 19:46
just tuning key with choke on.

iv got a booster pack on the battery so its got plenty of kick and turns over fast.just wont fire but again it does when i take a plug out.

SCHWARTZ
08-05-2012, 20:47
Leave choke in and try. Have the garage fiddled with the carp at all? Idle mix etc...?

daveturbo
08-05-2012, 21:03
Dont think so mate.it was running fine untill i parked it up for a week.

is it in or out to lean the mixture? i cant remember its been that long since i messed about with one.

Tony Walker
08-05-2012, 21:46
does it start if you disconnect a plug lead instead of whipping a plug out? if so then i think maybe the coils not able to build the charge up, but does when only firing 3?

Whyte146
18-05-2012, 22:35
Im having the same problem, after standing for 2 weeks, waiting for a turbo rebuild.

Should the fuel pump make a noise, when switched to position 2?

I hear a click from a relay, which I presume is the fuel one.

spark, not sure about fuel, will not start

Drove it to the current location no problem, then turbo replaced, no start!

:sad2:

Brigsy
18-05-2012, 22:45
The fuel pump doesnt prime on ignition, it only works when cranking. Have you disturbed the tdc lead when changing the turbo?

Whyte146
19-05-2012, 09:13
Thought about the tdc lead, the previous owner had cut and spliced it a couple of times, so I repaired it yesterday with some soldering and new wires.

Is the tdc sensor quite fragile?

There is a spark, I only checked cylinder no 4 though.