PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Sump

Mr Raider
18-04-2012, 12:49
Got a leaky sump on the 5, used some black silicon sealant i got from CGB lastime and it appears to leak flywheel end from near half moon washer. Got new seat of half moons, now wondering whether to use genuine renault thixo, same sealant again or cork gasket as ive got one of these from bottom end gasket set :confused:

Os8472
18-04-2012, 13:09
I always use the grey thixo stuff from Renault on any sump, just make sure both sealing faces are perfectly clean, use a scaring pad to roughin up the face on the sump and then a whipe over with carb cleaner, use plenty of the sealant and do all the bolts up finger tight then leave for 15 mins so it goes tacky, then torque them up in a similar pattern to how you'd do head bolts.

Brigsy
18-04-2012, 13:19
Use stikaflex on it. From experience no matter what you use they seem to leak again eventually.

TNT Tricky Nicky
18-04-2012, 17:48
few more options in there for you buddy

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27338&highlight=thixo :agree:

I did have a squirty can somewhere but no idea where it's gone otherwise you could have used that, annoying thing is there was enough in there to do about 50 sumps :(

Mr Raider
20-04-2012, 12:17
Cheers guys, so not many people use the cork gasket on it, think Markey B may have done

GT Josh
20-04-2012, 15:32
I use a gasket sealant called hylomar. That's stuffs the dogs bollocks.