PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE BUILD few little questions!!

R5MJH
17-04-2012, 19:42
hi all right ill be assembling this engine soon and new a couple of pointers

1. when putting new pistons in liners ive just wd40 ed them in the past it that ok
2. crank seal insertion whats the best method

i think thats it but does anyone know if theres a thin piece of metal, that goes infront of the wp crank spacer, i think its not on this engine, im confused as ive build subaru engines too, just dont want to have to take apart again

thanx in advance mick

ps do standard cranks have machined lines on webbs

Markey Mark (BD)
17-04-2012, 19:59
hi all right ill be assembling this engine soon and new a couple of pointers

1. when putting new pistons in liners ive just wd40 ed them in the past it that ok
2. crank seal insertion whats the best method

i think thats it but does anyone know if theres a thin piece of metal, that goes infront of the wp crank spacer, i think its not on this engine, im confused as ive build subaru engines too, just dont want to have to take apart again

thanx in advance mick

ps do standard cranks have machined lines on webbs

Yeah you can use WD40 but i would use alittle bit of engine oil, just need to lub them up alittle when they salide in the liners

How do you mean best crank seal insertion method? They just slip on the end of the crank then you so the main cap up after, other crank seal is in the timing cover

Not sure what you mean by wp crank spacer

Yeah there are machined lines on the crank from factory

5teve L
17-04-2012, 20:06
Yeah you can use WD40 but i would use alittle bit of engine oil, just need to lub them up alittle when they salide in the liners

How do you mean best crank seal insertion method? They just slip on the end of the crank then you so the main cap up after, other crank seal is in the timing cover

Not sure what you mean by wp crank spacer

Yeah there are machined lines on the crank from factory
Prob means the thrust washers MArk.?

R5MJH
17-04-2012, 20:11
thanx steve and mark top peeps right on the wp end of crank you got just time chain sprocket then the spacer yes nothing inbetween then ?? and when inserted big crank seal it tight do ya use a drift or something

Markey Mark (BD)
17-04-2012, 20:18
thanx steve and mark top peeps right on the wp end of crank you got just time chain sprocket then the spacer yes nothing inbetween then ?? and when inserted big crank seal it tight do ya use a drift or something

Right i get you, theres no spacer between them mate

As for the crank seal, have you done the man caps up tight already without putting it in?

R5MJH
17-04-2012, 20:24
crank is in, so it torqued down but it leaked bad last time, is it better to undo the bolts insert seal then torque back up mark i want it right and not leaking like last time, when we jacked front osf up the oil came out of seal quicker than i could put it in mate

Markey Mark (BD)
17-04-2012, 20:40
crank is in, so it torqued down but it leaked bad last time, is it better to undo the bolts insert seal then torque back up mark i want it right and not leaking like last time, when we jacked front osf up the oil came out of seal quicker than i could put it in mate

Yeah you meant to torque the main caps down once the seals in place, undo them all lift crank alittle insert seal then tighten them all back up

R5MJH
17-04-2012, 20:43
well bigs need replacing crank unmarked so i might check mains anywayz to see it they want replacing boss