PDA

View Full Version : Reaching for the matches

chezzer85
15-04-2012, 21:47
I have had a lot of issues with my five from word go, but today after fitting a oil pressure gauge into the sandwitch plate and changing the oil, i warmed her up and went for a spin, after about a mile i hit full boost in 3rd and filled the road behind me the a massive cloud of blue oily smoke. I did another 10miles off boost and the smoke continued to follow me all the way. I'm thinking turbos shagged. What you reckon? any easy way to find out.

J$£5GTT
15-04-2012, 22:21
dont go reaching for the matches bud,we all get issues with our cars no matter how small or big,but as you sort the issues and replace 20+ years of worn parts it does help,just be prepared to spend time any money,some info here-
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=26214&highlight=smoke
:)

Tony Walker
15-04-2012, 22:31
Its odd that its happend so soon after changing sandwich plate, did you change anything else? breathers kinked or something? perhaps overfilled with oil? Pretty easy to check the turbo, intake hose off and check for up down in/out play, should be pretty minimal(1-2mm)

chezzer85
16-04-2012, 08:20
Think my five might be on the verge of having an asthma attack. Just had a look in the induction and breather hoses and lots of the black stuff.

chezzer85
16-04-2012, 16:43
Took the telephone hose off to check for play in turbo saft, none what so ever. Noticed that my oil return hose had been leaking and i think was spraying oil straiting into the air filter. Another case of jumping to conclusions i hope.

chezzer85
16-04-2012, 18:01
Think my turbo is fecked after all, went for a drive a again off boost, and still smoking.
Took the telephone hose off again and was lots of oil in it again. So i ran the car without telephone hose or air fillter and oils coming out trough the turbine and collecting in the turbo inlet. Turbo seals?

SCHWARTZ
16-04-2012, 20:43
I would defo check oil level as that's what to me when I had too much oil in mine.

chezzer85
16-04-2012, 21:00
Oil level stightly low if anything, must of burnt quite a bit since i changed it!
Turbine looks in good nick with no play in the shaft tho. oil pressure maybe a bit high too around 50psi on idle. I was thinking is there any chance i could of messed the pipes up when i put the sandwitch plate and oil cooler back on, that would cause this?

SCHWARTZ
16-04-2012, 21:58
50psi at idle, hot or cold? If cold that's ok should be bout 20psi at idle when warm. Pressure relief valve may be sticking in pump.

chezzer85
16-04-2012, 22:07
Yeh cold, drops a little when warm not always though, could be this be related to oil burning issues?
Sump off job i take it.

Tony Walker
16-04-2012, 22:55
I think you are jumping the gun a little.
Start simple first. Is there alot of oil in the boost pipes? if you have std breathers and there pumping oil in to the turbo inlet then it may be worth having a look at all the breather system or fitting a basic catch tank. does the engine breath heavily while running? take the oil cap off, if it looks like a steam train then you have issues.

chezzer85
17-04-2012, 12:22
I've got standard breather set up, but the telephone is hose is disconected so leaving the breather open to atmosphere. And still smokes, turbine is chucking oil back out the inlet. Not ran it like this for long but there was no sign of the smoke clearing, could there just me loads on oil in the system. Also checked for play in turbine shaft when cold and noticed a little bit.

chezzer85
17-04-2012, 18:14
Took the boost hoses off and cleaned all the oil out, cleaned oil from gear box, induction hose and intercooler as much as possable. Left idleing for ages with breather hose disconnected and smoke seem to clear but when i took it up the road and gave it some boost smoked like crazy. I then took boost hoses off and they were full of oil again and there was oil all over gear box.