PDA

View Full Version : Story so far the 5 will be the death of me!!!

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 16:41
So since buying this 5 three months ago this is what's happened and had done
New gearbox
New clutch
New clutch cable
New speedo cable
New exhaust
New t25 from blunty
New radiator from robbo
New back discs and pads on the way
New thermostat
New radiator sensor
New wheels and tyres painted
New fuel pump from John
New fuel filter
New air filter
Pace inter cooler
New leads
New spark plugs
New distributor
New arm
New wishbones
New radio
New back vents in the boot
Spare wheel cage off eBay
New AFR kit off the scoff
Water pipes off eBay
So got all that sorted and now the bloody water pumps just gone is it an easy fix?

Cheers :sad:

andybond
11-04-2012, 16:46
Its straightforward. But you need to take care with the bolts. Some snap. Gently gently does it ..

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 16:53
The waters pi55ing out from the wheel I take it it's the bearings?

Romil Davda
11-04-2012, 16:53
Rule 1 of owning a R5 Turbo:

Deep pockets required! :eek:

James5
11-04-2012, 16:59
The waters pi55ing out from the wheel I take it it's the bearings?

Yeah matey that will be the bearing gone, as Andy advices take it easy with the bolts they tend to have a habbit of snapping in the head. Luckily water pumps are fairly cheap for new ones not sure if you can get complete ones still now or if they are just the wheel half side only now either way you will need 2 gaskets drop old Mike aka phase 1 16v turbo a pm he will sort you out and get some new bolts aswell from him.

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 17:01
Don't I know it :-) but the mrs Dosnt need too.. It must get reliable at some point surely?? I'm not getting angry yet as I'm still replacing old stuff.. Dose it get reliable ever? Or will I be self teaching my daughter instead of Uni lol good job she's one :cry:

The new Bill J
11-04-2012, 17:03
Rule 1 of owning a R5 Turbo:

Deep pockets required! :eek:

You could take the MUCH cheaper option, and buy a 5 gt turbo :D

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 17:04
Picking a pump up from local factor tomorrow only £35 hmmm new bolts now that's an idea.. We're could I get them from locally? As I want this done tomorrow night it's my daily you see otherwise I'm back on my bike.. :sad2:

James5
11-04-2012, 17:07
You could take the MUCH cheaper option, and buy a 5 gt turbo :D

:laugh: Was waiting for you to comment Bill:agree:

The new Bill J
11-04-2012, 17:16
:laugh: Was waiting for you to comment Bill:agree:

Well, I haven't pulled that one out of the bag for a while, so I've got to keep the 'moaners' happy :cartman: :laugh:

I have noticed though, there's been more opportunities than ever on here to pull people up on it. The members of RTOC are slacking :cry:

Anyway, sorry for the hijack - Before anyone kicks off about that as well :laugh:

Romil Davda
11-04-2012, 17:22
Dose it get reliable ever? Or will I be self teaching my daughter instead of Uni lol good job she's one :cry:

Reliable?!?! :dearme: I've had my car 8 years and she has been "on the road" for about 18 months of that time. Mind you, she's been running for over 4 consecutive months now and that's over winter too!

Your best bet is to get your little girl trained as a R5 mechanic, you'll save loads of money... ;)

Picking a pump up from local factor tomorrow only £35 hmmm new bolts now that's an idea.. We're could I get them from locally? As I want this done tomorrow night it's my daily you see otherwise I'm back on my bike.. :sad2:

Mike R5 spares is your best bet... although I think you will struggle to get the bolts by tomorrow! You could either start the job? (and get stuck) or wait till you got all the bits? (but then you might not need all the bits!)

Bill - LMAO... I actually did mean a R5 GT Turbo... my bad :crap:

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 17:41
Bloody hell that's not good in that case then there might be half descent 5 for sale shortly ;)

Markey Mark (BD)
11-04-2012, 17:43
Don't I know it :-) but the mrs Dosnt need too.. It must get reliable at some point surely?? I'm not getting angry yet as I'm still replacing old stuff.. Dose it get reliable ever? Or will I be self teaching my daughter instead of Uni lol good job she's one :cry:

Once all the little niggles are sorted out then yes it'll be reliable, just got to remember these cars are at least 21yrs old so parts if they haven't been changed in a while will need doing as threy will show there age

For the bolts, do you have a local place that sells nuts and bolts? All you need are a few various sized M6 bolts, nothing special with the bolts at all
To make sure you got right length take your water pump down with you and try bolts in it, get the ones that stick out about a cm from the pump body just remember some are longer then others

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 17:50
Cheers mark m6 it is I should be able to get some from work.. :agree:

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 18:08
Dose anyone know the actual size my mrs is a manager at wicks and the cataloge says m6 x 20 or m6 x 25 or m6 x 50 mm for the waterpumpbolts

fishead
11-04-2012, 18:50
jus get 7 of the 50mm ones, then cut them down

off top of head
2 x 50
3 x 40
2 x 35

the 40 an 35 might be other way round

Tony Walker
11-04-2012, 19:34
When undoing the bolts, if they feel tight winding out dont just keep winding, tighten it back up a little then undo, tighten up, then undo so on so forth, taking a little time undoing will save alot of work in the long run.

jesus in the seat of a 5
11-04-2012, 19:38
When undoing the bolts, if they feel tight winding out dont just keep winding, tighten it back up a little then undo, tighten up, then undo so on so forth, taking a little time undoing will save alot of work in the long run.

:agree:, what tony said , maybe soak um over night with ole wd40 too..:)

Tony Walker
11-04-2012, 19:40
:agree:, what tony said , maybe soak um over night with ole wd40 too..:)

What Jesus said :agree:

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 20:17
I know this is going to sound Amatuerish but to undo I turn them? Lol can't believe I'm asking but if they are that soft I don't want to go the wrong way.. :ashamed:

Tony Walker
11-04-2012, 20:29
lefty loosey(anti clockwise) :D righty tighty;)(clockwise)

andybond
11-04-2012, 20:42
Get a decent socket on them , I find I snap stuff with spanners.

I also soak them in WD40 ( as Jesus said ) or if I dont have any in , pop to tescos and get some coke, or HP Brown sauce.

clee
11-04-2012, 20:57
Pussies ....Have at it !!
.............when they snap just drill for an Easy-out... then ...just as you are thinking ,good stuff , just a little deeper .... work out how you get the broken drill bit out :coffee:

Tony Walker
11-04-2012, 21:00
or figure out how to stop the water squirting out when uve gone in to a gallery :P

Nottswoody
11-04-2012, 21:45
Well Iv got them all out but now I'm worried new ones won't go back in as easy 3 were perfect the others were knackerd threads aghhhhhhh I can see this going wrong.. :cry:

Tony Walker
11-04-2012, 22:36
re-use the old bolts(if there ok), make sure thread holes are clean, and retap threads if you can. if theres dirt and or silicone inside the holes when you tighten them it will hydraulic on them and stip threads.

Nottswoody
12-04-2012, 17:18
Thanks for the advice guys all new bolts re tapped all the holes new pump all running sweet and nice and cool.. Must learn to get a shed load of jubilee clips in though that was the main bit that held me up.. Well chuffed... :p

LiamR
12-04-2012, 17:33
Good Stuff. See its not that hard :p

Always people to help on here to :agree:

Nottswoody
12-04-2012, 17:48
You wouldn't believe the stick Iv had over this 5 ( who am I kidding I'm sure we all have the same) my mrs/dad/people at work say what the f&ck you baught that for it keeps breaking down as above all has happend in three months. So I kinda get there point.. They just don't understand.. Next project t25 brand new from blunty is in the post and on its way.. They it's boosting time.. :p I hope cheers again.. Best club Iv been in for advice and nice peeps..

Tony Walker
12-04-2012, 19:37
Np :agree: just gotta get some miles on it now :) and get it on track at blyton nation day.

Nottswoody
12-04-2012, 20:07
Well national day is a must but there is along time to then.. Getting the turbo on then 1st thing is bluntys day. See how that gos I am entending to go to most the events this year.. It's what I bought my second 5 for.. Look forward to meeting everyone..