PDA

View Full Version : wobbly seats, fix?

gttjames
08-04-2012, 13:22
Something i allways mean to check when seeing another 5 is if the seats woble like mine, but allways forget. I can grab the seat's and woble them around alot, looking at the frames underneath all bolts are there just alot of movement. Iv never stripped a subframe on these or familiar with them, what bits do i need to replace to get them nice and firm again?

I can see abit of movemt in the torx bolts, where they sit, is the area just worn so needs thicker bolts? and movement throughout the whole seat subframes

Danboi2
08-04-2012, 18:53
Id also like to know fix for this my mot garage allways picks up on it

LYNCHSTAR
08-04-2012, 19:07
If the fixed nut were the seats fixes to the floor i made some fittings for mine by using a 15mm by 40 or 50mm long with an 8mm tapped hole or an 8mm drilled hole and a 8mm nut welded underneath you can slide it in the side hole were the fixed nut is i punch those out to put the new bolt in the fitting acts as a clamp mine are still solid.:)

TNT ANDY
08-04-2012, 19:09
I would imagine the pressed in mount in the floor has pulled through. Get yourself a 10mm Zeb and weld in place. A zeb is a tapped piece of steel used by electricians and pipe fitters used in uni-strut to hang pipes / traywork / trunking from. Very cheap from a local fixings co.

If not that then a broken sub-frame to your seat.

Either way, it will need welding.

gttjames
09-04-2012, 18:17
Where the mount is bolted to the floor looks solid, it looks like the whole seat subframe has alot of movement in, there are some torx bolts and there is movement on all of these, almost as though the torx bolts are not thick enough, or have worn the whole they sit in?

Brigsy
09-04-2012, 18:19
Check the correct sleeved torx bolts are fitted where the subframe pivots at the front. If the wrong bolts are fitted there will be loads of play

andybond
09-04-2012, 18:59
Something i allways mean to check when seeing another 5 is if the seats woble like mine, but allways forget. I can grab the seat's and woble them around alot, looking at the frames underneath all bolts are there just alot of movement. Iv never stripped a subframe on these or familiar with them, what bits do i need to replace to get them nice and firm again?

I can see abit of movemt in the torx bolts, where they sit, is the area just worn so needs thicker bolts? and movement throughout the whole seat subframes

Loose some weight you fat knacker

:cooter::eek::D

gttjames
09-04-2012, 22:31
Loose some weight you fat knacker

:cooter::eek::D

:laugh:

well when i used to drive it i was around 70kg's so dont think thats the issue lol, now im around 80kg - still no 'beefcake' lol. Cant vouch for cars history as got it on 100'000 miles

brigsy im sure the torx bolts are correct. Iv got a set of seats sat in a dump renault 5 here and they look the same, the dump 5 also has a random 10mm nut bolt on one which obviously is wrong. And bolts look pretty genuine as torx, with flat section, then threads on end

Brigsy
09-04-2012, 23:17
Might be general wear and tear then mate?? Mine in the van are he same, too many full throttle launches on the dragstrip with the slicks on and 100kg of myself hasnt done any favours:laugh:

gttjames
09-04-2012, 23:55
yer on off boost driving is deffinatley the cause, didnt know if anyone had any fixes thats all. 2 front firmly fixed seats would be nice lol

Tony Walker
10-04-2012, 08:00
I think they do pivot around the shank on the torx bolt, ive never took one apart to look so im not sure if the bolt or the surrounding material wears, i geuss youd have to make a thin sleeve around the bolt? or weld it up and loose the rear functionality(leave passengers unwelded to still have access)

gttjames
11-04-2012, 16:25
I think they do pivot around the shank on the torx bolt, ive never took one apart to look so im not sure if the bolt or the surrounding material wears, i geuss youd have to make a thin sleeve around the bolt? or weld it up and loose the rear functionality(leave passengers unwelded to still have access)

yer i think it might be this, hmm not sure how id go about it, might be hard to find a sleeve to fit or slightly thicker bolt, il take a bolt out and see what i can match up