PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove front Strut Brace

James5
27-11-2008, 16:18
Whats the best way to remove the front strut brace in an R5 without snapping any bolts??

Cheers James

Guybrush
27-11-2008, 16:20
you shouldn't have a problem with those bolts..... :cooter:

RichR
27-11-2008, 16:23
Strut top bolts aren't tightened to huge torques - something like 20Nm (check though!)- which really isn't tight at all. So there shouldn't be any real risk of snapping anything.

A bit of PlusGas or WD40 might help if you're worried they're rusted up.

Guybrush
27-11-2008, 16:28
Its the water pump bolts i hate.... the first time i change the pump i always snap at least one... always replace with high tensile bolts covered in copper grease :p

James5
27-11-2008, 16:30
Mines the strut bolts everytime I have undone them on my previous R5's I have snapped at least 2 of them and the I have to drill and tap. Water pump bolts have always been fine never had a problem with them.

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2008, 16:41
With the strut top bolts spray them from the top and the bottom a few days before you are going to do the job. Not always easy to spray from underneath especially if the car has been lowered.
With the water pump bolts I let the engine get warm before cracking them then let the engine cool before undoing them all the way. Then as already stated replace them with new HTS ones and cooper slip.

markey b
27-11-2008, 18:27
Whats the best way to remove the front strut brace in an R5 without snapping any bolts??

Cheers James

ideally use a socket, failing that a spanner

MR TURBO
27-11-2008, 18:47
Mines the strut bolts everytime I have undone them on my previous R5's I have snapped at least 2 of them and the I have to drill and tap. Water pump bolts have always been fine never had a problem with them.

Same here always the strut bolts........It happened to me recently too despite the pre couple days before lube up............I'd say go carefully as u probably know drilling and tapping can be a pain in the rectum!:(

tom t
27-11-2008, 19:48
i change my 1 of my top mounts and both side top hats and poly bushed them. and i think all but one of my bolts snapped lol.

also now i have done them. my m8 had the car jacked up the other day, and he had wiggled the wheel and there was a little movement up top, is this normal with the car jacked up and no weight on the wheel?

cheers sorry 4 the hijack