PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure!

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 19:54
Been having a mare with the car at the mo and worried that the oil pressure is wack!

Used to have 40-45psi on start up which would drop to around 20 psi once warmed up. On boost I would see around 45-50 psi on boost.

Now I have around 40psi constant and Im worried as to why.

Problems started with my old vnt starting to pass oil on the exhaust side and smoking badly. So bought a new t28 turbo and just fitted it and it passing oil already from the exhaust side so thinking it must be connected!

Was worried that the oil drain hose was blocked so took the oil feed of the turbo and put it directly into the oil return to see and was shocked by the amount of oil coming out of the oil feed on the tick over as when I was trying to move the hose around it sliped out for 1 sec and put about half a litre of oil over the gearbox! Is that normal? Could that be what forcing the oil out of the oil seals on the turbo? What could be causing this high oil pressure?
Thanks
Matt

Fishey
02-04-2012, 20:29
I'm having the same problem as you so shall be following this closely, if i find out why i will let you know

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 20:31
I'm having the same problem as you so shall be following this closely, if i find out why i will let you know

In what way? Turbos passing oil and constant high oil pressure?

Markey Mark (BD)
02-04-2012, 20:31
Maybe the relief valve is sticking in the oil pump

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 20:33
Maybe the relief valve is sticking in the oil pump

Is that a sump off and inspect job? Does that mean oil pump could be kerput?

Markey Mark (BD)
02-04-2012, 20:40
Is that a sump off and inspect job? Does that mean oil pump could be kerput?

Yeah sump off mate

you'll have to remove the oil pump and make sure the relief valve moves freely in its tube. Pump might not neccessarily be knackered, anything could have stuck the valve if its that

Must say the oil pump was always good for me, never had issues

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 20:44
Ok thanks for that, and the new turbo, going to need a rebuild as well if its passing oil I guess???:cry::cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
02-04-2012, 20:45
Ok thanks for that, and the new turbo, going to need a rebuild as well if its passing oil I guess???:cry::cry:

Depends how badly the oil has passed through it, not always needing a rebuild best thing to do is sort oil pressure issue and if it still smokes after that then maybe turbo needs looking at

Fishey
02-04-2012, 21:18
In what way? Turbos passing oil and constant high oil pressure?
Yea if the turbo is fitted i have high oil pressure and oil is passing through the turbo oil seals, when a turbo blank is fitted oil pressure returns to normal, this is measured on the standard gauge though.

Ive had the one way valve in the turbo oil feed off, the oil drain off, the sump off and the oil pump out and in pieces, stil have no idea! Ive tried 2 different turbos, one being a fresh rebuild.

Mark is gonna have a look at mine as i have no more ideas/time to sort it!

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 21:22
Yea if the turbo is fitted i have high oil pressure and oil is passing through the turbo oil seals, when a turbo blank is fitted oil pressure returns to normal, this is measured on the standard gauge though.

Ive had the one way valve in the turbo oil feed off, the oil drain off, the sump off and the oil pump out and in pieces, stil have no idea! Ive tried 2 different turbos, one being a fresh rebuild.

Mark is gonna have a look at mine as i have no more ideas/time to sort it!

What do you mean by a blank turbo??

Fishey
02-04-2012, 21:26
What do you mean by a blank turbo??

An old exhaust housing with a piece of steel plate boted where the core would be, so you can fit the exhaust to the manifold without a turbo in place.
The oil feed is then jubilee cliped into the oil drain and the water hoses joined.

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 21:31
Ah ok funny how its different with the turbo on and off? I didnt look at my oil pressure when I byepassed the turbo!!

Fishey
02-04-2012, 21:40
Yea very strange!:confused:

Tony Walker
02-04-2012, 21:42
What are your breathers like, pressure may not be a problem, i had similar issue and it was just my breather not breathing enough lol

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 21:50
What are your breathers like, pressure may not be a problem, i had similar issue and it was just my breather not breathing enough lol

Oooo ok this could be connected!
I recently changed to a catch tank and directed the breather from the rocker cover to the top of the swirl pot and then the bottom of the swirl pot to the catch tank. The swirl pot had 2 ports and I left the other open to breathe.

I bought one of them small airfilters to go on the second port after a short time and when I put it on I went for a drive, the car wouldn't idle properly and before long I had to pull over and she cut out! So i removed the small air filter and kept turning her over and she eventually came back to life and ran ok. Thinking about it all the problems started from there really!

Could this have damaged something?

Tony Walker
02-04-2012, 21:55
Not damaged something, just incresed pressure inside causing it to burn oil, try leaving the hoses off and vented to atmosphere. do you have the hoses connected to the manifold too? take it for a drive and i bet your smoke disapears. the rocker cover breather is the main one that needs to be vented.

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 22:02
Not damaged something, just incresed pressure inside causing it to burn oil, try leaving the hoses off and vented to atmosphere. do you have the hoses connected to the manifold too? take it for a drive and i bet your smoke disapears. the rocker cover breather is the main one that needs to be vented.

No not to manifold, ok just popped out and disconnected all the breather hoses and took the oil cap off to for good measure. How long do you think it will take to depressurise?

Would this cause the high oil pressure then and the turbo passing oil? Could this also cause the oil pump relief valve to be held open??

Tony Walker
02-04-2012, 22:04
will cause turbo to pass oil, itll probably take a few mins to burn crap out of exhaust and such. it should be noticeably better quite quickly.

Tony Walker
02-04-2012, 22:06
Max oil pressure is governed by the relief valve, i dont think this is your issue tho. i too took my turbo off and watched the oil in to the return and thought it was excessive even too much at idle for the return to cope with.

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 22:06
will cause turbo to pass oil, itll probably take a few mins to burn crap out of exhaust and such. it should be noticeably better quite quickly.

Ok will leave it 24 hours to breathe as dont think the neighbours would like me to much trying it agian tonight! Try it agian tomorrow night!
Thanks

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 22:08
Max oil pressure is governed by the relief valve, i dont think this is your issue tho. i too took my turbo off and watched the oil in to the return and thought it was excessive even too much at idle for the return to cope with.

Tbh I was amazed by the amount of oil passing through it!

Tony Walker
02-04-2012, 22:18
There wont be a build up of pressure its the pressure while its running that needs to be vented. im 99% this is your fault, Take it for a spin :agree: (put the rocker cover cap on tho)

UnstableCable
02-04-2012, 22:26
There wont be a build up of pressure its the pressure while its running that needs to be vented. im 99% this is your fault, Take it for a spin :agree: (put the rocker cover cap on tho)

Lmao! :laugh::wasntme::cartman:

Oh that makes sense, will do tomorrow night then!

Thanks for your help, might have saved me alot of expence and time! :agree::smokin:

UnstableCable
03-04-2012, 23:26

Cant say i 100% i understand why it worked by did as you said and took it for a spin with the breather hoses diconnected and the oil pressure slowly began to drop. Did about 5-10 miles before it was back to normal!
Then when I reconnected the breathers again the smoke came back but the oil pressure remained at normal pressure so put this down to oil in the exhaust burning off.

A quick hoon down the motorway and the smoke stopped and shes running fine :) Also fishey who posted above has done the same and solved his problems as well!

So well done that man... Knowledge like that which makes rtoc a great club to be in :smokin:

Dave Reed
03-04-2012, 23:39
Your breather set up must be wrong.. how is it piped up?

UnstableCable
04-04-2012, 14:22
Your breather set up must be wrong.. how is it piped up?

I have mine set up as rocker cover to top port on swirl pot swirl pot to catch tank. Catch tank has 2 ports so have left one open to the elements!
That sound Ok?
As I say though my problems reallt started when I put the airfilter on the open port which smothered the engine!

Dave Reed
04-04-2012, 15:48
Did you disconnet the separator from the sump return?

Baiscally, the way I run mine is from rocker cover to oil catch tank, then a breather on the other outlet. As this seems to work, give it a try. I just binned all the original cr@p :D

UnstableCable
04-04-2012, 18:26
Ok so header tank to catch tank, throw away swirl pot and put breather filter on instead?

Mart
04-04-2012, 18:43
Cup spec' breather setup works well enough...

http://membres.multimania.fr/r5gt/gtt/modifoil.gif

Tony Walker
04-04-2012, 19:24

:agree: thats how mine is now.

Matt Cole
04-04-2012, 20:47
does anyone actually know why the breather was modified this way for the cup spec? And yes I know about oil vapour and a reduction in octane points but was there a fundamental flaw in the engine design at high revs?

Tony Walker
04-04-2012, 20:55
It was never meant to be turbo charged in the first place i geuss. Burning oil can cause hot spots and preignition too.

UnstableCable
04-04-2012, 21:02

Pretty much how mine is but I still have the swirl pot in place.
Today on the way home from work it started smoking again and badly and the oil pressure rose again at idle so i hopped out and pulled the breathers hoses of and left them to vent as before! It instantly stopped smoking and after another 5 miles drive oil pressure returned to normal! Would having the swirl pot in place do this?

bigdur
04-04-2012, 21:05
My rocker goes to a catch tank then the sump is blocked off.

Tony Walker
04-04-2012, 21:16
Today on the way home from work it started smoking again and badly and the oil pressure rose again at idle so i hopped out and pulled the breathers hoses of and left them to vent as before! It instantly stopped smoking and after another 5 miles drive oil pressure returned to normal! Would having the swirl pot in place do this?

Perhaps its blocked?

allanr5gtt
04-04-2012, 21:30
what about doing a oil and filter change?

UnstableCable
04-04-2012, 21:31
what about doing a oil and filter change?

Yo Alan running fresh oil and filter!

UnstableCable
04-04-2012, 21:33
Perhaps its blocked?

Will check it tomorrow :agree::agree:.

Do most people put a t piece in place of the swirl pot then? Or actually run the swirl pot??

Tony Walker
04-04-2012, 21:40
up to you. Its there for the std setup to try to seperate condensation and fumes from the oil vapour so the oil returns to the sump.
When breathing to atmosphere it doesnt really matter what ends up in the catch tank :D.

Markey Mark (BD)
05-04-2012, 09:01

Loose the original breather pot mate or vent the rocker cover pipe to the lower port of the breather pot and then the top one to the catch tank

Good info on the breather set up being the fault, got to say not the first thing in would of looked at ;)

Ashy
05-04-2012, 12:52
I had the same problem with my oil pressure, I took the oil feed adaptor out, and tapped it M8 as the bore was 6.5mm. I then made some little restrictors from M8 grub screws, drilled through them with different size drills starting at 2mm upto 4mm.

I fitted the 2mm restrictor and it did the trick, the turbo stopped smoking but the oil pressure went even higher... The excess oil pressure eventually (after about 15 mins) forced the oil pressure release valve in the oil pump open and everything returned to normal, been good as gold since!

Heres my thread. (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=21775)

Matt Cole
05-04-2012, 13:21
I would be tempted to do a compression check. Put my nuts on it being the rings down, pressurising the sump, standard breather set up cant cope.

UnstableCable
05-04-2012, 14:18
I would be tempted to do a compression check. Put my nuts on it being the rings down, pressurising the sump, standard breather set up cant cope.

did one about 2 weeks ago and got 130 psi across all cylinders, this was with the throttle closed so needs doing again really i guess!

Markey Mark (BD)
05-04-2012, 14:39
did one about 2 weeks ago and got 130 psi across all cylinders, this was with the throttle closed so needs doing again really i guess!

Just remember that engine is slightly low comp too mate ;)

Dave Reed
05-04-2012, 15:30
Your breather system is causing the problem, blank off the return to the sump, as I said further up the post, your pushing all the crankcase pressure to the sump.

Tony Walker
05-04-2012, 19:52
Loose the original breather pot mate or vent the rocker cover pipe to the lower port of the breather pot and then the top one to the catch tank

Good info on the breather set up being the fault, got to say not the first thing in would of looked at ;)

Wasnt my initial thought either as my car was almost vented to atmosphere just slightly restricted, i think the crankcase pressure slows the oil draining from the turbo and causes it to pass the oil seals.
Glad it sorted it tho mate :agree:

UnstableCable
06-04-2012, 14:02
I had the same problem with my oil pressure, I took the oil feed adaptor out, and tapped it M8 as the bore was 6.5mm. I then made some little restrictors from M8 grub screws, drilled through them with different size drills starting at 2mm upto 4mm.

I fitted the 2mm restrictor and it did the trick, the turbo stopped smoking but the oil pressure went even higher... The excess oil pressure eventually (after about 15 mins) forced the oil pressure release valve in the oil pump open and everything returned to normal, been good as gold since!

Heres my thread. (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=21775)

Wow! How did you keep going??? I would have doused it in petrol and set it alight long before you got that sorted! :scared:

Ashy
06-04-2012, 18:23
Wow! How did you keep going??? I would have doused it in petrol and set it alight long before you got that sorted! :scared:

Aye, it was a nightmare mate, thing is once it was all sorted its been spot on ever since!! Such a simple fix aswell! Winner :)

UnstableCable
12-04-2012, 13:14
So I found the cause of my problems, it seems to be the catch tank I was using having the ports at the bottom so as stuff started to build up it would block the ports and cause the pressure to build up.

I have replaced the catch tank with a baked bean tin for now whcih seems to have worked and then I have blocked of the return pipe to the sump next to the water pump. Is this ok? :scratch:

James5
12-04-2012, 13:38
So I found the cause of my problems, it seems to be the catch tank I was using having the ports at the bottom so as stuff started to build up it would block the ports and cause the pressure to build up.

I have replaced the catch tank with a baked bean tin for now whcih seems to have worked and then I have blocked of the return pipe to the sump next to the water pump. Is this ok? :scratch:

Yeah you can block return to the sump I ran like that for years without a problem, baked bean tin :laugh: personally I would go with a 500ml coke bottle or something similar. With the bean can if you do get anything in it, it's going to splash about with the movement.

UnstableCable
12-04-2012, 14:06
Lol was the only thing I had to hand, I did take the beans out first though! :laugh:

Think Im going to try the old catch tank back on but up the other way this time so the ports are at the top :agree:

Great stuff, it runs really well with the sump return blocked of, oil pressure sits nice at aorund 20 psi so will keep it like that for now :D