PDA

View Full Version : preferfed method of fitting engine

djinuk
02-04-2012, 07:45
ok.. when removing my r5 engine i pulled the engine out the top, then dropped the subframe, however i notice a lot of folks building the full engine onto the subframe, then i presume your lift the car and move the car over the subframe, then hoist it whole engine and subframe up using a crane?..

Dave Reed
02-04-2012, 08:05
I've never done it this way, alwalys seems like a lot extra work.. But if the sub frame is of anyway you may aswell bolts everthing to it, lift the car high enough, then just lift the engine up/ possibly lowering the car at some point too.

SCHWARTZ
02-04-2012, 11:12
Put the subframe on some blocks build the engine on that then roll it on the jack and jack it up;)

djinuk
02-04-2012, 11:18
ahh, is that the way you do it!!, i was wondering , where on earth do you put the jack to hold the whole subframe etc?

Brigsy
02-04-2012, 12:40
I would personally fit the subframe then drop the engine and box in from the top.

SCHWARTZ
02-04-2012, 13:28
If you do do it that way you need a good bit of 8x4 and get the jack in the middle. I did it this way as I had no crane but if you have a crane fit the frame first then use the crane.

gttjames
02-04-2012, 22:08
iv only ever just pulled the whole lot out the top, and then dropped the whole lot (engine and box) straight in from the top

jamie_clioGTT
02-04-2012, 23:24
Agree with briggsy tbh mate, from the top with subframe already bolted on, get it on rear mount 1st and the rest just falls into place. 20 mins max mate.

Gttnutter
02-04-2012, 23:58
I'd choose brigsy's way also. Frame back in then drop from the top. Me and mark have in the past removed and fitted by hand. Obviously engine and box split. I refitted mine with box in situ with just a hand lifting it up and over the top. Less muscle and back ache if you had a crane though.