PDA

View Full Version : safety harnesses

robw
26-11-2008, 23:37
i want to know how members have mounted there safety harnesses?

reason i ask about mounting them,is that i am planning on fitting harnesses soon with a roll cage(omp) but i cant work out the best way for me :confused: after researching i have read you don't want the harnesses below 20 degrees below the horizontal,so mounting to the rear floor is a big no no?so maybe a rear strut brace?it seams the best option would be mounting to a cage,but as the omp cage has no mounting bar,not possible.unless i was to modify it which would then probably affect its fia approval?

i want to get it right and safe so suggestions please :)

Bigfoot
27-11-2008, 07:21
I had them originally mounted to the rear seatbelt mounting points. Then had a rear strut brace made up and now they are wrapped around that.

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2008, 10:04
I welded inside and outside locating plates with eyes as needed.

Mudslinger
27-11-2008, 11:06
so mounting to the rear floor is a big no no
--

ive never heard that before ?

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-11-2008, 11:14
so mounting to the rear floor is a big no no
--

ive never heard that before ?

Its all to do with an accident about the angle the belts are mounted affects the way they hold you into you seat. They claim that if there not fitted at a correct angle you have a high risk of neck and back damage etc...

Mudslinger
27-11-2008, 11:27
ive had mine fitted to the rear seatbelt holes using eyebolts and never had any probs , although ive not had an accident , but ive came across lots of track and race cars with the harnesses fixed in the same way .

MR TURBO
27-11-2008, 11:52
ive had mine fitted to the rear seatbelt holes using eyebolts and never had any probs , although ive not had an accident , but ive came across lots of track and race cars with the harnesses fixed in the same way .

Mine are like this too and i have no probs but i have a rear brace to fit so i may shift em to that:D:D

markey b
27-11-2008, 18:35
round the rear strut brace for me

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-11-2008, 18:52
Mine are the same as your's Mud, they should be round a bar if possible tho...

but tbh if you have a major accident in a 5, chances are you will die anyway. :-)

Northerner
27-11-2008, 19:30
Rob - This link contains a reference pic from the blue book.

http://www.passionford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234562

Guybrush
27-11-2008, 19:35
but tbh if you have a major accident in a 5, chances are you will die anyway. :-)

with full cage? nah :crap:

Mudslinger
27-11-2008, 20:11
Rob - This link contains a reference pic from the blue book.

http://www.passionford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234562

so basically its acceptable to have them like mine :)

tubby5
27-11-2008, 21:04
mine are fastened to the rear brace aswell

minty83
27-11-2008, 22:55
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2193

Got mine around the roll cage

Mr_Dave
27-11-2008, 23:01
Mine are the same as your's Mud, they should be round a bar if possible tho...

As are mine. I have had a big accident, very big actually!Still here too ;) I put nicks in each of the eye's and bent the FIA sidemounts like banana's, cracked the OMP fiberglass chair. They will be fine bolted to the rear seatbelt mounts ;) Hit a tree circa 50mph.

I really really wouldn't trust anything mounted to a rear strut brace. The forces involved in a crash are quite extraordinary.....

Mr_Dave
27-11-2008, 23:02
Nice cage Minty, was that an of the shelf jobbie? My safety devices cage is deminutive compared to that!

Scoff
27-11-2008, 23:31
Nice cage Minty, was that an of the shelf jobbie? My safety devices cage is deminutive compared to that!

it was a SD cage that welded extra sections into for duncan. the tube came from Mark Fish, it is the same material the cage itself is made from :)

markey b
28-11-2008, 00:51
my rear brace is made from thick wall stainless, but in a rear impact the car will probably crumple anyway. i try not to think about crashing to be honest... kinda puts you off if you think how much the doors/roof/bonnet flex just with finger pressure!

Maka
28-11-2008, 19:01
i had mine on the rear floor on the original seatbelt mounts.
but the belts where twisted and didnt look to clever if i was to have a crashed.
Then i read on here it can cause twisted spines etc.

So now there nice and straight and attached to the rear strutbrace.

Mudslinger
29-11-2008, 01:53
suppose if youve got the bar on the cage its probably better , but it cant be all that bad to have them on the floor look at the new r26r megane :)

robw
29-11-2008, 15:57
suppose if youve got the bar on the cage its probably better , but it cant be all that bad to have them on the floor look at the new r26r megane :)

thats a good point :)
some good info on this website:http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=152138

robw
29-11-2008, 21:56
minty's setup looks very safe.i think i am gonna do a similar thing to my cage and add a harness bar,i just don't like the idea of long harnesses.i have copied a post off a lotus website that might be of interest to members running long harnesses.

(The setup you have on your car is the exact same setup implicated in two very serious injuries at Streets of Willow about two years ago. My understanding of the problem is that the length of the belts is too long. Each inch of belt stretches so much. You have such a long belt that, under extreme force, it will stretch much farther than is safely allowable. You could hit your face on the steering wheel (which happened to the driver in the incident I’m mentioning), or when you double recoil (or continuously recoil back and forth if you’re rolling) you will submarine under the dashboard. If the car is rolling you might even eject out the top of the belts (because they can come off your shoulders as your body slams back and forth and either submarines or comes out the top).

don't want to sound too negative,just thinking safety:)

Maka
06-12-2008, 10:11

They arent mounted on an angle using existing seatbelt mounts though. So if you where in an accident the belts arent twisted or angled slightly.

wounder how much these cars go for second hand now....yum!

Mudslinger
06-12-2008, 10:33
They arent mounted on an angle using existing seatbelt mounts though. So if you where in an accident the belts arent twisted or angled slightly.

wounder how much these cars go for second hand now....yum!

i think you will find that the harnesses that go to the floor in the megane r26r are actually bolted to the oe seat belt holes ;)

Maka
06-12-2008, 10:42
i think you will find that the harnesses that go to the floor in the megane r26r are actually bolted to the oe seat belt holes ;)

they look flush on the photo compared to how i used to have mine bolted in the GT.

Could be the oe seatbelts in the megane are located differently for individual rear seats..rather than a GT turbo rear bench