PDA

View Full Version : wiring to clock not permanent?

gttjames
27-03-2012, 22:35
Basically guys im just doing the last little bit on my 5 and trying to fit the various gauges neatly - previous owner had put a boost gauge where the clock was and im keeping it so dont need the clock wiring -

4 wires going to where the clock was ( i assumed one would be a permanent live for the clock, and 1 a live with lights on for the backing light) when testing with a probe none are permanent lives, 1 is live with ignition so il be taking that feed to the AEM gauge as it needs a live feed, and the other is a live feed with lights on so il be using that for the gauges backing lights. Question is how does the OE clock work with no permanent live?

Brigsy
28-03-2012, 07:16
One wire should be permanent live.

gttjames
28-03-2012, 16:22
One wire should be permanent live.

thats what i thought. But with ignition off - none of them are. Does the clock have a small battery in it or anything so it works when ignition is off, doesnt need much to keep a clock ticking.

As it is i wwas thinking of using the 12v feed with ignition on for the aem gauge, but if its permanent with ignition off its no good, but doesnt seem that way hence being confussed?

Scoff
28-03-2012, 16:44
There definately should be a battery live. Maybe the fuse is dead, etc.

Yellow will be ignition live, blue will be backlight and if there is a red then this should be battery live.

gttjames
28-03-2012, 23:50
There definately should be a battery live. Maybe the fuse is dead, etc.

Yellow will be ignition live, blue will be backlight and if there is a red then this should be battery live.

il test those wires, cheers scoff

phase i 16 v turbo
29-03-2012, 08:39
Ben had the same problem a few weeks ago when he popped down. The red wire had no permanent 12V feed. Ran another wire from the fuse box. Clock now works.

gttjames
29-03-2012, 20:31
Ben had the same problem a few weeks ago when he popped down. The red wire had no permanent 12V feed. Ran another wire from the fuse box. Clock now works.

Well if it is the case that its only live with ignition then its all good for me as il use that wire. But dont want to wire my aem gauge to it to find when its all fitted its becoming constantly live again and then when i flick ignition off aem gauge stays on