PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild

adscan
27-03-2012, 18:19
I want to have a go at an engine (c1j) rebuild. I am not after anymore power just a solid reliable motor.

What parts will need to be replaced to make it fresh and reliable for long term use? I was thinking piston rings, main bearings, head skim, new cam and chain.

What else would I need?

Markey Mark (BD)
27-03-2012, 18:26
Apart from the usual gasket sets you got about most stuff there if everything is in good usuable condition :agree:

If you find you need new bearings on the crank its worth having the crank cleaned up so you know its nice and clean and the new bearings will bed in nicely, won't need grinding just surface polish so it';ll stay same size bearings

adscan
27-03-2012, 18:40
i am picking up a running engine block pretty soon with around 80k on the clock before removal. so i wanted to use this as a replacement.

will the pistons and liners be okay to re use? what faults should i be looking for?

and when it comes to the cylinder head..what should i be replacing?

i am looking to do this to increase my knowledge of my car and how it works. i have never rebuilt an engine other than aircooled VW's. but the 5 engine seems pretty simple to work on.

Markey Mark (BD)
27-03-2012, 18:49
i am picking up a running engine block pretty soon with around 80k on the clock before removal. so i wanted to use this as a replacement.

will the pistons and liners be okay to re use? what faults should i be looking for?

and when it comes to the cylinder head..what should i be replacing?

i am looking to do this to increase my knowledge of my car and how it works. i have never rebuilt an engine other than aircooled VW's. but the 5 engine seems pretty simple to work on.

Yeah the 5 engine is pretty basic so you shouldn't have tyrouble if you done VW engines before

As for the liners you want to check for wear marks that go up and down, also marks like that on the pistons too, shows signs of contact which could be down to worn rings. When you have the new rings check the gap when they are fitted to a liner, will tell you if the liner is worn past its tolerance too.

As for the head have it pressure tested and faced, worth having engineers check the valve guides too and also the valve faces and sets maybe lapping them in again so they create a good seal