PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's Knackered.. Now what to do..?

Sol
27-03-2012, 16:31
Hey Guys,

So today I found out from an inspection that my turbo is well and truly knackered. Loads of play in the shaft, the housing are cracked (alot) and it's smoking like crazy...

So... What shall I do next to replace it?

Buy a second hand T2 for say £80-100?
Buy a second hand T25 for at a guess like £150-200?
OR....
Save & Buy a new one for far far more?
(I don't really want to spend alot on one but I do want to keep this 5's for some years)

Also, has anyone actually fitted garrett's 'GT' range instead of just 'T''s to their 5's as I think I can get hold of those cheaper?

Thanks guys,
Luke :)

Markey Mark (BD)
27-03-2012, 16:33
I do believe a few people have fitted turbos of the GT range, not sure on what sizes and that though.

For me unless you are sure the used turbo your going to use is decent then i would pass on secondhand turbos and fit new all the time

UnstableCable
27-03-2012, 18:16
Contact Blunty and see what he can do for you. http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=26698

Did me a cracking deal on a new T28. Got me out of a real hole as well as I bought a second hand VNT turbo that turned out to be knackered!

Sol
27-03-2012, 18:24
Hmmm, ok Mark cheers, I think you are right really, its just the cost is alot.
Thanks unstablecable, I'll speak blunty.

:)

SirSamuelOfBuca
28-03-2012, 08:50
I have just fitted a gt2560r (gt28r) was a bit of a Bodge but I managed it with zero mechanical experience.

Things to watch out for are actuator length fixing the rear housing. Unbolting the turbo and lining it all up (spinning it round to match line up of standard turbo). Then making sure oil feed fits. You can takes bits off ur t2 and put them on the gt28 to make sure it fits to standard pipes and what not.

Standard actuator runs at 7psi. So u need a boost controller valve (about a tenner). If u can splash the cast get one off bluntly though lol.

I had fun doing It myself though :D