PDA

View Full Version : turbo starts at 20 k revs

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 22:17
im dont have a lot of knowledge for these cars but i am learning and i love them. just wondering why my turbo kicks in at 2 thousand revs? normal is about 40 or 4500 isnt it? how do i change it?

r5 rich
26-11-2008, 22:20
if it is a standard t2 turbo the rpm that the turbo kicks in at is about right in my eyes!

Shane P
26-11-2008, 22:22
Spooling up early is good :agree:

Standard T2 turbos start to spool at 2000rpm and reach full boost by about 3000rpm. They normally run out of puff by about 5500/6000 rpm though.

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 22:28
well ok thats good enough for me just didnt want to blow my head gasket again.lol. erm i didnt want to give it full wack as it is freshly rebuilt but i kno it kicked in at 2k rpm nd i took it to about 5 and then slowed down as i thought i dont want it to die but soon i shal finish my running in period and give it full wack and let u know how long it lasts.

Shane P
26-11-2008, 22:28
How much boost are you running ?

Trevhib
26-11-2008, 22:36
And why would you want the turbo to kick in later? :crap:

Incidentally, what you think is twenty thousand revs is actually two thousand revs. Even Formula 1 cars don't rev to twenty thousand.

Lastly, you can't easily or significantly change when the turbo kicks in without changing the turbo itself.

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 22:59
aw ryt fair coment nd im sure my clock says 10 20 30 round the outside and x100 in the middle aw wel neva mind.

i want it a little bit later because every time i put my foot down the front end goes fuking evrywhere even in third sometimes depends on road surface. always manage to get it back in but stil...........

and i have not got a clue as to what the turbo is running i dont even kno if its a standard t2 as its a new car and the bloke i bought it off wasnt very honest about things.

r5 rich
26-11-2008, 23:01
aw ryt fair coment nd im sure my clock says 10 20 30 round the outside and x100 in the middle aw wel neva mind.

i want it a little bit later because every time i put my foot down the front end goes fuking evrywhere even in third sometimes depends on road surface. always manage to get it back in but stil...........

and i have not got a clue as to what the turbo is running i dont even kno if its a standard t2 as its a new car and the bloke i bought it off wasnt very honest about things.

don`t put your foot down so heavy then;)

Shane P
26-11-2008, 23:05
Does the car have a boost gauge plumbed in? How far does the needle go round on the standard boost gauge on the dash?

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 23:06
fair comment that 1 might help but you know what its like when your on a round a bout n some lil dick tries to go around you in his little 1.1 fiesta or something you just laugh and think nope dont think so and get carried away.:). i should calm it a little as i am a bit of a speed freak, cant help it though:)

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 23:08
Does the car have a boost gauge plumbed in? How far does the needle go round on the standard boost gauge on the dash?

yes it does and i dont know as i was conentrating on the lorry tha wasnt letting me out of the slip lane so i just gave it a bit to get infront of him. that was the day i bought it and the same day i blew it up. should be back on the road this weekend so i will let you know on that 1 when its done and when i have finished running it all in properly.

Shane P
26-11-2008, 23:12
Did the person who sold it to you give you any details/specs about the engine. I'm just wondering why it blew up?

haizyr5gtt
26-11-2008, 23:30
nah he didnt go into the specs and when i asked all he said was its been freshly rebuilt with new this and new that. wasnt much help and when i tried to ring him on the way home he wouldnt answer his phone so my opinion is he new it was going to go. will look into all that when the head is off and whatever.

Ashy
26-11-2008, 23:31
yes it does and i dont know as i was conentrating on the lorry tha wasnt letting me out of the slip lane so i just gave it a bit to get infront of him. that was the day i bought it and the same day i blew it up. should be back on the road this weekend so i will let you know on that 1 when its done and when i have finished running it all in properly.

You need to find out why it broke before putting it back on the road as it will just brake again!

Scoff
27-11-2008, 00:22
I saw the title and expected to see that sparkie had been testing a new turbo ;)

Rob1980
27-11-2008, 08:08
10 20 30 etc x 100 would make 1000 2000 3000 etc :coffee:

Take a pic of your engine bay including the turbo and someone will tell you what you have. or you could always read what is written on it?? You really do need to get someone who knows what they are doing to set your boost (Boost Gauge required ideally) and fuel correctly. If you do not I will expect a post from you saying you have blown anothe HG.

haizyr5gtt
27-11-2008, 19:16
lol. well i got somebody doing it for me at the moment as i am not 100% confident il be abel to see what happend. he is going to investigate into it so hopefully he wil be able to find out what happend, when it died it just over heated n cut out as if i had ran out of petrol, i didnt notice the temp guage rising but i was doin 30 mph at the time but had put my foot down for about half a minuite about 5 minuits before but tha shouldnt have made it go. i have a photo of the engine bay on my profile i think if not i shal upload 1 now.

Markey Mark (BD)
27-11-2008, 19:27
What he finds broken should be able to tell you what went wrong and why, if you put it on here what he foinds we're prob be able to tell you why it went.

Also if your just doing a headgasket there shouldn't be any reason for you to run in it, once its done drive it normally.

haizyr5gtt
27-11-2008, 19:30
yeah but it has a load of new parts in it and has had a full rebuild, well thats what i got told.:crap: as soon as i know what has gone rong i will post it on here.

Markey Mark (BD)
27-11-2008, 19:37
yeah but it has a load of new parts in it and has had a full rebuild, well thats what i got told.:crap: as soon as i know what has gone rong i will post it on here.

Depends what new bits were fitted to be honest mate but if you feel safe running it in then thats cool, everyone has there own opinion how they run there cars in;)

haizyr5gtt
27-11-2008, 19:45
im just doing what i got told to do by the bloke i bought it off. he said it had a new rebuild with pistons and turbo and various other parts cant remember exactly. he said he had done about 500 miles in it and i should stay under 50mph for another 500 miles then have oil change nd new oil filter and full service.

Markey Mark (BD)
27-11-2008, 20:01
im just doing what i got told to do by the bloke i bought it off. he said it had a new rebuild with pistons and turbo and various other parts cant remember exactly. he said he had done about 500 miles in it and i should stay under 50mph for another 500 miles then have oil change nd new oil filter and full service.

No thats cool mate, with the new pistons then yeah i'd run it in abit but as i said think everyone has there own ideas on how long to run them in for.

Don't worry not having ago mate just giving abit of advise.;)

haizyr5gtt
27-11-2008, 21:12
yeah i know mate no wurries. all advice, suggestions and criticisms are welcome aslong as they are towards my car and not personal.lol

LukeRobbo
09-12-2008, 23:27
Just noticed you put its running 190bhp atm with a t2 on your member information and also put boost pressure standard? Is that pub talk or you had it on the rollers? You also say the car is a few different colours but raiders are metallic blue(not pearlescent green/blue/purple with glitter effect:rolleyes:) as standard unless yours has had a flip job.I noticed it doesnt have the blue raider wheels.Is it a raider on the logbook? Does it have the raider interior with the blue patter?

Also sounds like you need to study your maths judging by the rpm.You say the car is pulling you all over the road? Make sure you take it easy because these cars dont take even a small crash.Also if the police catch you booting it they think boy racer car and dont give you a 2nd chance.Dont be a prat and smoke people in 1.1's:sad2: its a waste of fuel and time.

Make sure that you try to make the boost guage to move as little as possible on the motorway and for long periods of time or you will be paying for another HG soon.

Not having a go just telling it as it is.You sound keen and your car looks good on the pics.

haizyr5gtt
10-12-2008, 00:31
im just sayin wot i av been told by the person i bought it off but as it turns out hes not very trust worthy so wen its fixed im avin it all chekd 4 myself then editing it. but the bodywork is standard with a custom paint job and i noticed the wheels aswel but i en tha bothered as i am not a masive fan of the raider wheels. it dus say raider on the log book and on dvla site when you enter the number plate etc.

as soon as its fixed my driving is going into granny mode as i am not the local police forces favorite person anyway.:laugh:

i am keen to learn about this car as i have always wanted one. so i am gradualy picking up on things as i go along. hopefuly will be able to meet up with some of you soon. see what the new year brings.

LukeRobbo
10-12-2008, 01:03
Good to hear.Im new to it myself.Get yourself to the nationals day next year its amazing and the rolling road days.Its a great club.

Matt Cole
10-12-2008, 07:30
Make sure that you try to make the boost guage to move as little as possible on the motorway and for long periods of time or you will be paying for another HG soon.

Not having a go just telling it as it is.You sound keen and your car looks good on the pics.

Why would using the turbo on the motorway blow the headgasket?? If the car is set up correctly, he can use the turbo anytime he wants.:scratch:

LukeRobbo
10-12-2008, 13:15
Why would using the turbo on the motorway blow the headgasket?? If the car is set up correctly, he can use the turbo anytime he wants.:scratch:

I suppose was just told to keep the boost as low as possible on long journeys which makes sense.The car could do with an extra gear or overdrive really so the turbo guage doesnt move at 70 and better economy like my mate has done by putting a 6speed on his starlet.

Mart
10-12-2008, 13:35
Unless you drive at 'Miss Daisy' speeds, and/or fit a larger turbo, you'll find it pretty impossible not to produce boost from a standard T2 blower whilst driving on a motorway...

haizyr5gtt
10-12-2008, 17:38
wel i can do 50 mph in 5th gear at 2000 rpm but any more than that and the turbo starts to unleash. any recomendations for new turbo etc??

Mart
10-12-2008, 17:56
Isn't that kinda what I was on about before?

Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but why the necessity to change a turbo simply because it's producing boost whilst driving on the motorway?

jesus in the seat of a 5
10-12-2008, 18:05

Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but why the necessity to change a turbo simply because it's producing boost whilst driving on the motorway?

indeed sir...........:brickwall:

EDM
10-12-2008, 21:57
[You also say the car is a few different colours but raiders are metallic blue(not pearlescent green/blue/purple with glitter effect:rolleyes:) as standard unless yours has had a flip job.]

There were a few variations of raider blue. and they were pearlescent finishes.:agree:

Kris M
10-12-2008, 22:01

The good old T2 is a quality turbo round town, on motorways / high speeds it WILL be on boost alot...thats the way it goes

On the Nurburgring trip afew months ago, we did 300 odd miles all at pretty high speeds, my good old T2 was singing its heart out :D on the motorways. Nothing wrong with the T2 IMO ;)

LukeRobbo
10-12-2008, 22:04

I didnt sugest that just maybe worded it wrong.What i meant was what i do is just wrest my foot light on the gas on the motorway to help the turbo last and stop the engine from working as hard.I know a few people who drive with the boost guage up high when it doesnt need to be and theirs cars dont last long.

Anyways back on topic.Im happy with my standard turbo coming in early makes it a more fun drive.I know tuned starlets that do nothing until high in the revs then really take off but to me that isnt as fun for everyday driving.

[You also say the car is a few different colours but raiders are metallic blue(not pearlescent green/blue/purple with glitter effect:rolleyes:) as standard unless yours has had a flip job.]

There were a few variations of raider blue. and they were pearlescent finishes.:agree:
Ok thanks for that.Just thought their was one and checked on wikipedia which said metallic blue.Thought it would have mentioned if it was pearlescent.What was the name of the blues do you know please?

Mart
10-12-2008, 22:23
I didnt sugest that just maybe worded it wrong.What i meant was what i do is just wrest my foot light on the gas on the motorway to help the turbo last and stop the engine from working as hard.I know a few people who drive with the boost guage up high when it doesnt need to be and theirs cars dont last long.

But the turbo's still spinning regardless, so it's not really changing the reliability/life duration factor. As long as you've got good oil/pressure present, good intake filtration, and you aren't over-spinning the wheels by running wheel of fortune boost levels, the turbo will last. Period. Proof of that is the X amount of gtt's in the club, clocking well into the 6-figure mileage zone, with standard T2 blowers still in situ.

You've seemingly already made your mind up though, so I'll shut up now :)

LukeRobbo
10-12-2008, 22:35
My cars on 6figures with a T2 at 16psi thats why i like to take it easy.Im listening to what you are saying.

Alastair
10-12-2008, 22:49
Motorway miles are very easy miles for your turbo and engine if you stay at a fairly constant load, as per Marts post above.

Trevhib
11-12-2008, 14:03
My cars on 6figures with a T2 at 16psi thats why i like to take it easy.Im listening to what you are saying.

16psi where?

Carb top - you're at the limit, if not over
Manifold - no wonder you want to take it easy

EDM
11-12-2008, 18:41

Anyways back on topic.Im happy with my standard turbo coming in early makes it a more fun drive.I know tuned starlets that do nothing until high in the revs then really take off but to me that isnt as fun for everyday driving.

Ok thanks for that.Just thought their was one and checked on wikipedia which said metallic blue.Thought it would have mentioned if it was pearlescent.What was the name of the blues do you know please?

as far as i remember the code is 449 and theres four or so variations, ie pearlescent purple or green. Called Renault Sport Blue i think.

Gttnutter
11-12-2008, 19:00
449 is correct and the various shades would be 449/1 449/2 449/3 etc etc

its fairly easy to find out which shade of 449 any raider has if you have the little paint flip chart