PDA

View Full Version : big bang, black smoke, flames..

jamie_clioGTT
26-03-2012, 19:29
Cruising down the m1 on way home from pod last nite, sitting doing about 60 70 mph and BANG, looked out of rear view and a cloud of black smoke and a mahoosive flame was present. Car cut out so got recovered home.

Today I've cranked the car over with no king lead on and discovered I've lost spark which at a guess would of caused the back fire and black smoke (unburnt fuel)

Question is do you think I could of damaged any engine parts by the way that it died? When cranking earlier it sounded all ok..

Thanks.

Markey Mark (BD)
26-03-2012, 19:33
The back fire could have been all the unburnt fuel vapour hitting the exhaust when leaving the chambers.
If its just lost spark then you prob be ok but only real way to find out is sort the spark issue, check as much as you can then give it a go starting it up. If anything doesn't sound good turn it off straight away

jamie_clioGTT
26-03-2012, 20:41
Cheers mark! That's what I was thinking about the black smoke.

Will get the coil or tdc changed tommorow and give it a blast, fingers crossed!

djinuk
26-03-2012, 20:55
bugga didnt hear about that... bad times man, hope you get it sorted.

Brigsy
26-03-2012, 21:00
I get bangs like that when i hit the rev limiter! Just ignition cut mate, probably dodgy tdc sensor

jamie_clioGTT
26-03-2012, 21:01
Yer was abit of a downer to a good weekend dude, at least my bottom pulley never fell of again!
Seem to be having a few problems just lately, only happened since I turned my boost up! Hopefully just a bad coincidence.

jamie_clioGTT
26-03-2012, 21:03
Sorry briggs never seen your post. Yer that was my inital thought so hopefully!

Seen the van yesterday mate, looking smart! Fair play.

Scoff
26-03-2012, 21:19
If it's not the tdc sensor then make sure you have 12v to the AEI module. If not, check your overboost relay hasn't corroded or gone open circuit. Best to bypass it if your not using the overboost switch. (to bypass it you cut the relay holder off, find the 2 yellow wires, join them together and disregard the black earth wire. The overboost relay is the one on the passenger side of the bonnet catch.)

jamie_clioGTT
26-03-2012, 23:02
Thanks scoff, I don't use the overboost sensor so won't be that, I have a spare coil and tdc sensor to throw at it tommorow so will see what happens.

Was hoping to see the 5 at the pod this weekend scoff, waiting for the better weather mate?