PDA

View Full Version : cgb motorsport

bye_all_c_ya
26-11-2008, 21:36
i phoned him yesturday asking him where he gets his lightened and balanced flywheels done as i had a flywheel which needed balancing and if he could do it!
he then told me he does not balance them!
he gets them machined ie( the same amount taken off all round and they should still be balanced and then he sells them as lightened and balanced flywheels?
has anyone used his flywheels and is everythink ok with them as that sounds alittle hit and miss ?

samb5
26-11-2008, 22:22
the bloke i use to do mine shaves em down then he balances them after by shavin in certain places after weighing/ measuring them.. :)

r5 rich
26-11-2008, 22:25
ctm is the place to get stuff done like this, they also give 10% discount to rtoc members;)

Guybrush
27-11-2008, 08:53
i phoned him yesturday asking him where he gets his lightened and balanced flywheels done as i had a flywheel which needed balancing and if he could do it!
he then told me he does not balance them!
he gets them machined ie( the same amount taken off all round and they should still be balanced and then he sells them as lightened and balanced flywheels?
has anyone used his flywheels and is everythink ok with them as that sounds alittle hit and miss ?

if they are sold as lightened and balanced, then i'd assumed they'd been balanced :cooter:

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2008, 10:07
Some flywheels I have had lightened and balanced have come back with small holes drilled in them to help balance them.

Ian S
27-11-2008, 11:04
Those small holes ARE the balancing :)

Some places will just lighten them.

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-11-2008, 11:16
Another good reason not to buy from cgb :-)

Kenobi
27-11-2008, 13:26
Another good reason not to buy from cgb :-)

Now thats not fair.:crap:

OUTLAW
27-11-2008, 13:36
i can only agree, bob has always pulled through for me:agree:, and is always really helpful, but you should always question, exactly what your buying and the condition. even from cgb:D

paul b
27-11-2008, 13:38
as long as the same weight is removed at the same diamteter from the centre..usually.no problem...

a balanced flywheel CAN only be done correctly when supplied with a crankshaft and a clutch fitted and marked, its fitted and balanced in situe.......this should also be done after any other work done like a new clutch....as 2 will never be the same..

just my opinion, shoot at will

clee
27-11-2008, 13:47
That's very true Young Paul .You don't get your wheels balanced without tyres and valves now do you .

bye_all_c_ya
27-11-2008, 14:52
ive never had a problem with bob! top bloke
but i was suprised to hear of the method used to lighten and ( balance ) his flywheels as sold on his website, when he does not balance them after!
but makes sense if you take the same off all the way around it should be still balanced :confused: shouldnt it?
as this method i can have done for free every day lol it was the balancing i was worried about as my dad is manager of a tool makers company
and after knowing how he does it seems a bit pricey when its a 15 min job!

tiff_lee
27-11-2008, 14:59
Perhaps not but to sell something as lightened and balanced when it is in fact only certain of being lightened is rather misleading and also not particulary fair.

Ian S
27-11-2008, 15:18
as long as the same weight is removed at the same diamteter from the centre..usually.no problem...

If that was the case then CTM wouldn't have spent £15,000 or whatever it was, maybe £5000, on a balancing machine.

Ideally, each item should have it's own balance. So the crank first. When that's correct, then the flywheel is attached, complete with the three clutch locating studs, and done. Then the clutch over is attached to that and done and marked.

Penfold aka The Dealer
27-11-2008, 16:40
I am sorry but selling some described as "lightened and balanced flywheels"

That has not been balanced is clearly false advertising...

I have brought many things of Bob and been happy but i dont buy performance parts of him... and there is a reason for that. But i wil keep that to myself and not share with other people. :p

dj13
27-11-2008, 19:52
If that was the case then CTM wouldn't have spent £15,000 or whatever it was, maybe £5000, on a balancing machine.

Ideally, each item should have it's own balance. So the crank first. When that's correct, then the flywheel is attached, complete with the three clutch locating studs, and done. Then the clutch over is attached to that and done and marked.

I always thought rods and pistons should also be balanced too.:coffee:

Barr's Irn-Bru
28-11-2008, 21:56
Use a campus flywheel .:coffee: Fit a Volvo clutch :coffee: Convert to the Volvo soft pedal conversion ......:coffee:

But Carlsberg Don't do Renault 5GTT tuning, But If they did :rolleyes:

Scoff
28-11-2008, 22:48
once you lighten a flywheel the balancing becomes much less important. you should also only ever be interested in crank and flywheel balancing if you're aiming for lots of rpm. otherwise, factory tolerences are fine.

Kenobi
17-12-2008, 19:07
once you lighten a flywheel the balancing becomes much less important. you should also only ever be interested in crank and flywheel balancing if you're aiming for lots of rpm. otherwise, factory tolerences are fine.

N00b question.

Can this be done on modern cars?

Markey Mark (BD)
17-12-2008, 19:33
You can lighten and balance any flywheel from any car

dgdogz
17-12-2008, 19:56
i couldnt comment on performance parts from bob

everything else ive had from him has been minted...good prices good guy good attitude jus good in all aspects if you ask me

but IF

hes selling stuff as lightened and balanced and its NOOOOOT then a small slap on the wrist should do it fine
hahaha